Using cornmeal as a pesticide??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Using cornmeal as a pesticide???

Last post Aug 22, 2010 10:11 AM by Rodo . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Using cornmeal as a pesticide???

For some reason, that I don't know why, but this is in my head - scarey thought, I know!!!!  I want to trust my memory that this is true....but I am not totally sure.  Am I thinking correctly, or did I just pull this out of left field somewhere???  **inquiring minds wanna know**

I have been fighting those oh so lovely 'sugar ants' in my house all summer long.  I do have those terro ant traps, and they seem to be working - fairly well, but I still, on occasion have a swarm of ants doing whatever it is ants do....

my problem is, that the flooring in my kitchen is pergo.  So I just can't spray or apply just anything around the baseboards/floor without taking the chance of ruining my floor....so this is where that dim light bulb finally turned on in my memory...

I am thinking about getting the cornmeal as close to the baseboards as I can and using the edge of my dust pan and give the cornmeal a little push against the baseboard with the intention that these sugar ants either eat and or take back with them the corn meal - and just die, dead as a door nail....

Will my idea work, or am I just wasting my cornmeal and inviting lots and lots more sugar ants into my kitchen????

Thank you in advance

~TSZ

False
  • Re: Using cornmeal as a pesticide???

According to this article you're on the right track.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/813223/how_to_get_rid_of_ants_without_using.html

False

I never heard of using cornmeal as a pesticide.    Aren't you afraid that the cornmeal will act as an abrasive on your floor if it gets scattered from where you put it?

False

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

ks_sunflwr

Big Smile  Well, what do you know!!!  I didn't pull this thought completely out of left field!!!  Thank you ks_sunflwr, thank you!!!  Gonna go get my handy, dandy container of cornmeal and go on an ant killin spree!!  Watch out, you might see me on CNN tonight!!!!  "...Nevada resident goes on ant killing spree with an ingredient used for making corn bread...story at 6 pm..."

Come here little ants, come here!!  Auntie Sitty has a treat for you and your friends and your friends' friends and all of their relatives....... buh bye, cya!!!!

False

jangrif

Aren't you afraid that the cornmeal will act as an abrasive on your floor if it gets scattered from where you put it?

I am putting the corn meal around the walls/baseboards - where there is no foot traffic, other than those blasted ants!!  And if those blasted ants scratch my floors with the corn meal... well, then those ants have been feeding too well and that is their clue that they need to move on!!!  LOL
    False

I sprinkled Cayenne pepper around my windows when they were coming in. Seemed to help. Didn't help much with the carpenter ants that are eating the bathroom up. Told DH, well, he says, spray. That doesn't work either. Oh Well, If I can light anything under him, so goes it.

I have heard grits are good, too. I forget to buy them.

False

catmint

In south TX we use the cornmeal OUTSIDE on the ants !   Inside, I'd be afraid you'd attract every ROACH and WEEVIL  in the county !!!!!  Geesh, what an invitation to dinner at your house !  No, no, no, no, NO !

False

Marilyn

TheSittyZoo
    I am putting the corn meal around the walls/baseboards - where there is no foot traffic

Around here, there's no such thing as no foot traffic.  I have a small dog and she's into every nook and crany.  She'd eating the corn meal.  lol
    False

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

Its good for keeping weeds out of the garden too.

False

I haven't read all the replies. I find hot pepper works great when the ants are thick. The hotter the pepper like cajun, cayenne, red pepper, ect..ect. works great on keeping the ants away.

False

sam7561

Its good for keeping weeds out of the garden too.

I made the mistake of putting stale cornmeal in qwith lettuce seeds and NOTHING came up. A few little sprouts about 1/2" tall tried and then died; don't know they were weeds or lttuce.

Used the rest fov the cornmeal in a bed of 16" tall pepperplants, it did not efect them but did keep weeds from sprouting eaxcept for very few.

Cornmeal is a PRE-EMERGENCE weed killer and I would only use it in a lawn, it doe not kill mature larger plants or established grass.I would find out how ling the weed killing effect lasts before I would use it in the farden again.

Go to "Gardensalive.com", they sell a derivative of corn as a pre-emergence weed killer for LAWNS.

Mulch with untreted,unsprayed grass clippings will aslso help tokeep weeds down and pull, pull, pull, and pull some more weeds EVERY DAY

False

I must have printed this a zillion times before. Make your own TErro by heating  1 big tablesp of honey and mix a rounded teasp of Brax powder in it util itis also melted and cpmpletely dissolved. Put  a bit  on a small flat piece of plastic (maybe a 2" round cut from a cottage cheese container lid) andput it where you see the anst run.

Once just one ant has found it the ant telegraph wires sing with the news and before you know it the big round drop is sorrounded by a zillion of those litte critters happilty tanking up on it to takeit home. They feed it to their larvea and of course eat it themsleves and after about 2-3 such ant banquets  you will have lost all your little "customers". In case you spill a little:it it will not hurt your Pergo floor. Just wipe it up with a damp rag.

I had those little  ritters in my bathroom in OR and also in the basement here 3 yrs ago and got rid of them in no time with that recipe. BOrax is also a wondeful laundry booster.

False

Isn't Borax highly toxic to pets and humans?  Wouldn't it be dangerous to leave borax mixed with honey lying around where children or pets might get into it?  It does do a number on ants (and supposedly fleas), but I am hesitant to use it and take that kind of chance.

False

Callie123

Isn't Borax highly toxic to pets and humans?  Wouldn't it be dangerous to leave borax mixed with honey lying around where children or pets might get into it?  It does do a number on ants (and supposedly fleas), but I am hesitant to use it and take that kind of chance.

You need to put only  1/4 tsp on the plastic, put it a cardbard box over it, have some small holes cut into the sides so the ants can get in and out  and weigh the box down. 

I don't think 1/4 tsp would kill anybody but you can keep pets away for a few hrs and the same with children. Do it when they are in school or put the stuff down when you take them with you when go shopping. Then when you come home, pick up what is left (if any) and repeat a couple of times.

It also dangerous to get into car and drive in traffic oir even to cross a street with the light on green, someone can run a red light and kill you.

I bet you have other stuff in your house/garage  that could poison pets or children if they could get into it.

What do you think is in Terro traps? (the same thing only it costs more)

False

Grelo, do you think that would work with carpenter ants? i would rather do that than the terror.

False

catmint