Do you put salt in the water when boiling eggs? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you put salt in the water when boiling eggs?

Last post Sep 24, 2010 8:53 AM by Rebecca_WV_40 . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • Do you put salt in the water when boiling eggs?

I have never heard of that before..apparently it stops the eggs from cracking?

False
  • Re: Do you put salt in the water when boiling eggs?

Never heard of that, but then ... I use very little salt in anything.

I learned sstetzel's method of hard boiling eggs, and she's right - perfect every time! 

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/780457/6653784.aspx#6653784

"Put your cold eggs in a pan of cold water - bring to a boil, turn the heat off & cover them for 15 minutes.  Drain them & chill them.

Perfect hard boiled eggs every time."

I'm usually in a hurry, so I just run cold water over them for a few minutes to cool them.  Perfect, no cracking, and they practically peel themselves!  Have also passed that along to friends, they agree.  Thank you, sstetzel!  Smile

False

"In the end we're all alone ... and no one's coming to save you."  -John Reese

No, Salt does not prevent the eggs from cracking, keeping them at a low simmer will.  I agree, cover eggs with water, bring to a slow boil , cover, take off heat and go call your mother, by the time you are done, so are the eggs. Smile about 15 min.  Then chill, both you and the eggs, perfection will happen.  Also make certain your eggs are at least a week old, otherwise peeling will be difficult, they need the air pocket that comes with age.  Don't we all?

darcamani

False

darcamani,

Nah, doesn't do a darn thing.  And I cook mine the same way. I just plunge them in ice water when they're done so I can "hurry up and finish" making whatever it is that I'm adding the hard boiled eggs lol!

False

Haven't ever heard of salt preventing cracking, either.  I've always heard vinegar does that--so I add a splash of it when making hardcooked eggs.  Don't know if it works or not, but I rarely have cracked eggs.  Of course, I don't boil them either--just put the eggs into cold water, bring up to a point just below a simmer (water is steaming and rippling, but not actually bubbling), cook them at that temp 12 minutes for large, 13 minutes for ExL or J, then put in the sink and run cold water over to stop the cooking process.  They're always perfect that way.

False

I actually do put salt in, maybe half a teaspoon for a dozen eggs.  I don't boil eggs every day, but often enough that I've noticed one difference.  When the shells do crack (not nearly always, but sometimes), salt does seem to keep the egg white from seeping out of the crack.  At least, when I forget the salt and they crack, there's seepage; when I use it, no seepage.  

Reading these replies, I suspect that may be in my head.  But since it's harmless, I think I'll let it stay.

False

"Wear it home. It'll look like a dress."

I always add a pinch of salt to water when I'm boiling it for eggs, pasta, veggies and just about anything else besides a cup of tea. It's automatic. The salt and pepper shakers are always on the stove.  The pot goes on the burner, I add a pinch of salt, and turn the stove on.

I've been doing it so long I can't even tell you why.  Brainwashed?  Sad I think it might have something to do with salt making the water boil faster but I'm not even sure about that.  Or was it slower?  Does it even matter?  An old wives tale?  How important is it anyway?

I should have never opened this thread.  Indifferent

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

BlindMasterBaker

I actually do put salt in,

Me too always.

I pierce the large end of the egg too.

I did a search on perfect Hard Boiled eggs for someone else  about a week ago. Various schools of thought on salting, Many sites stated add salt or vinegar to the water. Some sites mentioned neither.

Many sites sad to pierce the egg at it's widest point , many don't mention piercing .

Most stated plunge into cold water immediately after cooking. Most stated older eggs peel easiest.

I am sticking with what has worked perfectly for me for years - salt or vinegar in the water and a pierced shell before boiling any egg- then immediately cover with cold water after draining.~A

Top Rated Product

Egg Timer (I am never w/o this little gadget)~A Yes

The perfect egg timer. This clever, color-changing egg timer takes into account the number of eggs, water used, altitude and your desired level of cooked egg, from soft- to hard-boiled. -Handcast plastic -Dishwasher-safe
    Average Rating
    4.737 out of 5
     out of 
    (19 Reviews)
    Number of reviews: 19 customers reviewed this product.
    18 of 19(95%)customers would
    recommend this product to a friend.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I do put salt in the water, and LOTS of it. I read somewhere that it makes the eggs peel better, and I find it to be true. Just a dash or two doesn't make a difference, but a TBS or more (depending on how many eggs you're boiling and how much water you use) does, and so far I've not found any amount that's too much. You can't taste the salt in the finished egg at all.

Using older eggs and putting them in ice cold water immediately after draining them helps with the peeling, too, but using those hints and salt, I have lots fewer *ugly eggs* than I used to.

Vinegar won't necessarily stop cracking, but it does keep the white from oozing out so much.

Regarding that little gadget Alliea posted a picture of--if I lost mine and couldn't find a replacement, I'd probably just have to stop boiling eggs. At the altitude I live, the standard "Put your cold eggs in a pan of cold water - bring to a boil, turn the heat off & cover them for 15 minutes.  Drain them & chill them. Perfect hard boiled eggs every time." just doesn't work, unless I'm wanting runny yolks.

False

Remember that eggs are porous so if you add salt to the water it will be in the egg. That will help the flavor a bit but those who need to watch their salt intake should realize that. That means it also applies to the vinegar so watch how much you add. I have tried the vinegar and TBH never thought it helped. The salt is a new one for me. The simmering method mentioned here will also prevent that ugly grayish color forming around the yoke of your eggs.
    False

Yes I do and have absolutely no idea why except my Dad and Grandma always did so I guess it would be an inherited trait with me. lol

False

I always heard that a dab of vinegar in the water stops the eggs from breaking. Never heard about the salt, though.

False

Plain water will come to a boil faster than salted water.  Salt raises the point at which the water begins to boils.  It works the same way when freezing - salt lowers the freezing point, so plain water will freeze before salted water will freeze.  Salt acts kind of like antifreeze in your car - it keeps the water from boiling in the summer and from freezing in the winter.  

False

I decided to Google it and found a science site that says almost word for word what AlabamaNeeNee said.  Even the part about the antifreeze in your car and the freezing point stuff. 

At least now I know why I do it...I think. lol. Huh?

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

I find that room temperature eggs are less likely to crack than those straight from the fridge.   If you don't have time to let them sit out, just place them in warm water for a few minutes.

False