Social Security 2011 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Social Security 2011

Last post Oct 11, 2010 11:20 PM by HardMaple72 . 30 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 123
  • Social Security 2011

I was reading an article on the CNN website that said it's likely there will not be a cost of living adjustment again this year.  Inflation isn't bad enough.  How is that possible?  Has anyone else heard this?

False
  • Re: Social Security 2011

Yes, Congress and the President made it clear last year that there would be no COLA to SS for 2010 and 2011.

False

Anyone would have to be either crazy or the most STUPID person on the planet to say that there has been no inflation!!!  EVERY WEEK when I buy groceries, the prices are shooting up!  Not just a couple cents, either, but 50 cents, even a dollar in some cases!  This really makes me angry!!!

False

Yes when we received our notice last year for 2010 it said then it would include 2011. No big news here. Well DH and I have managed very nicely this year, so not worried about next.

False

PalominofillyinMS

Anyone would have to be either crazy or the most STUPID person on the planet to say that there has been no inflation!!!  EVERY WEEK when I buy groceries, the prices are shooting up!  Not just a couple cents, either, but 50 cents, even a dollar in some cases!  This really makes me angry!!!

Sadly but inflation doesn't have much to do with it...in our little corner of the world  The Government evaluates certain quarters from this past year and no there will be no cost of living raise and our taxes will be going up and yes inflation is probably going to be out of control and look for higher gas prices at the pump.Sad 

Molly

False

My company is not doing raises again this year.  Dh hasn't recouped the money he lost in paycuts in 2009 and doesn't sound like they will this year, either.  If it's happening in the corporate sector, then I'm not surprised that there won't be a social security increase.

False

Yeah, there's a whole lot of places that won't be seeing raises again this year.  There's none for state workers here.  But that's good news for the very large share of the public who think that government spending needs to be reigned in, right?  I don't want to say it's not hard, but if we want to keep the budgets under control, every expenditure has to be curtailed.  So, while I'm not overly impressed that neither SS nor my own paycheck will increase to cover a higher cost of living, I can see that it's a sacrifice that has to be made.

False

"Wear it home. It'll look like a dress."

Wonder if Medicare payments will go up.

False

Have known all year there will be a two year lapse in s.s. increases so am prepared for that. Medicare deduction should remain the same as it did last year....I think it is $96.

We are tightening our belts. No more eating out, ect. to compensate for the increases in other areas such as our Medicare supplemental policy rate increase and also the Medicare prescription drug plan increase. Between DH and myself we shell out about $600 a month for health insurance. Where is the monetary relief for seniors as far as medical care is concerned? Of course we could always drop our supplimentary insurance and go to an advantage policy but they are full of co-pays, deductables, limits, ect. which will cost you plenty if you are seriously ill. We have read the fine print and had to reject those.  Sad  With our suplimentary policy we pay absolutely nothing out of pocket except for the premium which is a God send as DH has had very high hospital bills because of heart issues. One night in ICU is astronomical!

By the way, according to the government the recession ended in June of last year! I wonder what planet they've been on all of 2010?

False

I got a notice that there would be no cost of living raise for two years. I barely get by as it is. My automobile is 13 years old and I'm hoping it will keep running well. I need it for my part time job as a senior caregiver. And those senior caregiver hours are shrinking too. Sigh.

I always laugh when I see all the advertisements in the AAA magazine showing well-dressed happy grey haired couples on vacation in exotic places. Hmmmmm!

False

justyouandme20002001

By the way, according to the government the recession ended in June of last year! I

the recession ended?  Wow, I am so glad to hear that...I would have never known had the government not said something

Things are tight.  My last review was  full of praise for what a valued employee I am and I received a minimal raise, less than what would be considered a COLA ingrease, but they were "proud" to give me the raise...

I am now 10 months past due for what would have been my last yearly review. I generate lots of new business, but the company has lost others, so I'm not expecting a raise.

Yes, the cost of living is going up and I'm finding myself shifting my food budget more toward less expensive foods.  The Mister isn't quite so thrilled, but we're still eating healthy.  As long as I can keep good food on the table, I"m not running out for a second job.. but by golly if I have to get a job flipping burgers, I'd do it to make sure that I can continueto make ends meet and feed the family well

False
    **Christine

mollyg
    Sadly but inflation doesn't have much to do with it.  It's my understanding that it's based on interest rates........

That's what really ticks me off.   Taking the advice of the 'experts' who said SS was in trouble and unable to support us, we invested our money in various ways so we could live comfortably when we reached retirement age.   Then the interest rates tanked to less than 1%.  

The current rates are wonderful for those buying a house or car etc, but is a disaster for us with interest bearing accounts.  The stock market is too volatile to rely on that either...every little phart in some foreign country causes it to drop drastically.

False

In our 2 stores butter went from $ 1.99 to $ 2.99 over night. FRozen veggies, even tyhe store brand are $ 2.19 to $ 2.79 for 10 to 12 oz packages.

Since I don't buy what others do (no prepared foods, no lunch meats, no mixes or any comvenience food) and have a well stocked larder ( I buy in BIG amounts of bulk) it is not yet effecting me too bad.

Our electricity went up 10% and will goup another 5 % soon. That is going to hurt more than anythig else.  I thank my lucjy stars I qulalify for winter heating assistance for propane.

Received a notice in the mail that next year the co-pays for  Medicare Plan D  prescriptions will go up:

Instead of $ 1.10 for a generic, it will be $ 3.50 and name brand will go up from around $3.00  to $6.50.  Then my costs will increase to $18.00 p month which is not too bad since I only have 1 name brand one. Every other month I have to spend an extra $26.00 for a saline nebulizer solution (OTC); all in all it will be around a dollar a day. It could be a lot worse if we REALLY get high  inflation that will progress to a hyoper inflation like they already have in some developing countries.

My parents went through that in Germany in the1920s, when a loaf of bread cost 2 billion marks instead of the old price of 50 Pfennig (1/2 mark). People got paid in cash (really a wheelbarrow full of money) and often did not even make it to tha bank or store by the time currency inflated again 20 minutes later. Some businesses even printed their own money. Mother had saved a few of those bills, she worked in the office of a small lokomotive factory. I remember it had a picture of a steam lokomotive on it and the logo: Jung Lokomotif Fabrik.

Those were VERY rough years and th main reason for Hitler's rise.

I would hate to see it happen here. NOBODY would be safe. With today's disregard of law and order and life someone would kill you for a loaf of bread.

False

Limey_SE_Texas
    The current rates are wonderful for those buying a house or car etc, but is a disaster for us with interest bearing accounts.  The stock market is too volatile to rely on that either...every little phart in some foreign country causes it to drop drastically.

Do like the Mormonsdo and invest in long time SurvivalFood. Evry Mormon family has a supply of food to last for 5 years. Some of it (freeze dried and in large cans) lasts up to 20 years without losing nutritional value. At least you would be able to survive for 4-5 years.

We wintered  in St. George/Utah twice and our trailer park neighbors were an older couple from northern Utah. THat is where I learned about how they store food and once each year replenish what the have used . Makes perfect sense to me.

Since you have the " rogue settlement" in Texas there has to be a  bulk supplier in the state. I get most of my bulk food from se Idaho. Friends and I I are in the process of ordering another shipment of 500+  lbs, they ship  500 or more labs on pallets by freight, any other way it would be too expensive.

I need powdered milk (50 lbs bag) 4 lbs at Walmart are $15.00. The milk I buy is NOT instant and costs $ 74.00  for 50 lbs. Even if I paid for UPS shipping it would still be only $2.00 lbs).  Anazasi beans,(25 lbs) a 50 lbs bag of hard red wheat kernels for cereal (I use100% hard white for bakig bread.) Tomato powder( 1 bs Milar bag) and a 25 lbs bag of buckwheat. My friends make up the rest, they have 4 adopted children, two boys 12 and 11and 10 yr old twin girls and they will most likely order about 400 lbs.

If you can get together with a few friends and can make up a minimum of 500 lbs it pays to order there or if you can find another Mormon supply place. I have not checked Utah on the web but most likely,  a Utah supplier  might be around Salt Lake City and that is about the same distance from here as the one in Idaho. Their grains are cheap, so are lentils and split peas and beans.

I like Anazasi beans because they have such delicate skins you don't get gas. A little pricey even in bulk (a bit more than $1.00 lbs) but well worth it to me.

Check out waltonfeed.com and click on "Rainy Day Foods".

False

Limey_SE_Texas

That's what really ticks me off.   Taking the advice of the 'experts' who said SS was in trouble and unable to support us, we invested our money in various ways so we could live comfortably when we reached retirement age.   Then the interest rates tanked to less than 1%.  

I went back and did edit my answer on that...I realized that I was thinking about something else.  It is based upon inflation and the Government has decided that we didn't have any inflation during certain quarters.  It's all very confusing...especially when they scew the numbers!  I do think that the low intesrt rates also factor in although some say...no they don't.

Molly  

False