How about storing up food for emergency or inflation? Anyone doing that? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How about storing up food for emergency or inflation? Anyone doing that?

Last post Nov 20, 2010 3:37 PM by Scheidgirl___OREGON . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • How about storing up food for emergency or inflation? Anyone doing that?

I am thinking about it---let's exchange experiences--good or bad-things to consider.

False
  • Re: How about storing up food for emergency or inflation? Anyone doing that?

LDSers (mormons) seem to have a good system.....

we have plenty.....but I will not store up for inflation.....cause food stuffs only last so long anyway..

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I think it's a good idea.  We always try to stock up when grocery items go on sale.  I see prices gradually going up each time we go back to the grocery store.  I don't have any good tips just words of encouragement if you have the room...go for it!

Molly 

False

The only things I get a bit silly about are toilet paper and paper towels. My garage is loaded. I only use Charmin Ultra Soft and either Bounty or Brawny. When I can get the Charmin for 50 cents/roll, I buy it! Even when there are 30 rolls in the package! LOL I just will NOT run out of toilet paper. 

False

Yep, you could call me a food hoarder. Although I am not Mormon and don't store enough for 5 years like they do I am good to go for 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. Not just food, but also OTCs, personal  and household cleaning supplies (including toilet paper) Plus I have a 3-4 mo supply of the few presription meds I take. My Doctor calls it my "strategic reserve", in case of a man made or natural disaster meds can't be shipped into the sw ND Hinterlands.

Most grains, legumes  and dehydrated foods can be stored for quite a few years.

For information about the types of food and how long they last go to a Mormon survival food supplier: Waltonfeed.com.

I just put in another order, among other things I bought 50 lbs of powdered milk. All my bulk foods (except canned dehydrated foods) are stored in food grade plastic 5 and 6 gal buckets with airtight lids and yes, I do use oxygen absorvers for some items. Commercially and home canned foods are stored on shelves. I have a nice dark,  cool and dry basement that is my pantry.

With unemployment payments being stopped for many long term unemployed I bet some of them wish they had a year's (or more) supply of food, even if it is not fancy steaks, roasts or shrimp and lobster.

False

I used to when we had the house but in the 5th wheel I have limited space and weight restrictions to consider so I pretty much only keep what I can use in a relatively short period of time. The important thing when you're stocking up on both freezer and pantry items is to rotate your stock and use the older items first.

False

We have 2 pantry's in this house and they are pretty well full, besides having a large upright freezer and 2 refrig freezers. I am aware the freezer stuff would go fast, but a lot of the things in them are my home made TV dinners and fresh frozen fruits ( I will cook enough to freeze a couple of what ever dish I make). With my health problems, there are days that I don't cook and those come in handy. But as far as other foods go, we could live very well for a month or more with what is in my pantry's. I have been thinking that I need to store more grain type foods in the freezer and those would survive a major thaw..I am not a meat or dairy eater (DH is on occasion) so that simplifies our basic food needs...T

False
    If the essence of my being has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face or a touch of joy within your heart, then in living I have made my mark.

I usually have quite a few staples in the house....kitty litter, toilet paper, paper towels, dried beans, lentils, noodles, canned goods, etc.  We usually get our meds 3-mo. supply at a time.  I have a friend who stocked up on paper goods & their basement flooded....had a lot of 'paper machie' (sp?).  I clicked to see if I could download spell check but didn't see WIN7 as 1 of the acceptable programs?

False

I don't stock up on purpose, but like to have a wide aray of food items, so that I can make almost anything without running to the store for 1 item.  If I can't make this, I can make that.  Works for me. My pantry is full. What I don't have in the house I might "go shopping" in the RV.  That has come in handy once in awhile.

False

Not for inflation, but emergencies.  I have enough food for a month or so. 

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I cook and bake like a back to basics person would the days of old. I can and freeze garden items that come from my gardens or acquaintances gardens that let me glean their gardens. With doing this there is always an abundance of produce put away. I use it and share it with others. Everything is prepared from the items put up that is a blessing to go and find a can good or produce put away in the freezer and know I have a meal. Or many meals. There is nothing better tasting and wonderful then homemade items from the garden or made from scratch of things you have on hand.

I don't go to the grocery store like some people would and buy majorily each week. I usually get the basics each week, milk, bread, cheese, and greens, ect. But sometimes I am stocked on cheese and bread. I only shop for a large amount of groceries every three months if even that. I can go even longer then that. Why! Because of the garden items I have put up. Plus I buy in 3 or 4 things at a time on some things. But somethings not even that much. 

I watch for sales and try to stock up on somethings. Especially on some meat. Though I get a beef from a friend at the beginning of the New Year. So that helps me a lot too.

Most everything prepared is from scratch and back to basic cooking. Nothing is wasted if it can't be turned into something else.

IF you stock up on anything you need to learn how long things can be kept for and won't go bad.

There will always be rising prices on everything. If you looked at what things cost 6 months ago to a year ago to 50 years ago, you would truly see how much things have majorily increased. Nothing will change that prices will continually go up on things. That is a fact of life. One just has to learn to budget, and go back to basic living on certain things of life.

I don't go here there and everywhere driving when I want too. I make certain my trips to town count and I can make all my stops in the same way as I am traveling.

Clothing is on sale or great finds at thrift stores. Items are worn out and if somethings can be turned into rags or resaled because their grown out of then that is another avenue.

You can't stock up on fuel it's not safe. But you can budget each month so much back financially to help pay the rising costs. Insulate the house, wear warmer cloths, and don't be afraid to cover with a blanket if needed. To help with keeping warm.

This is my favorite scripture and I am reminded of it when people start talking about hard times. We all have hard times. It's a matter of what we make out of those hard times to make life happy.

NKJV  Matthew 6

24No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

25Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

False

Thank you, enjoynature. I think sometimes we all need to be reminded.

False
    If the essence of my being has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face or a touch of joy within your heart, then in living I have made my mark.