Homemade Pumpkin Pie debate....Evaporated Milk or Cream? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Homemade Pumpkin Pie debate....Evaporated Milk or Cream?

Last post Nov 22, 2010 5:09 PM by crabbyappleton . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Homemade Pumpkin Pie debate....Evaporated Milk or Cream?

I have two recipes for my pie this year.  One calls for Evap.milk and the other cream.  Which do you think is better?  Are the constistancies the same????   Help..Confused

False
  • Re: Homemade Pumpkin Pie debate....Evaporated Milk or Cream?

By the time the custard is cooked, I doubt it makes much difference.  I'll be using half-n-half this year, in a recipe which calls for milk and cream.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

I don't use cream or evaporated milk. I use the Libby's recipe on the can, but use 2% milk or whole milk, whichever is in the milk carton in the refrigerator. Doesn't make a difference to me.

False

I've done both - I've even done the sweetened condensed milk recipe.  They're all good.  Last year my dil did hers with coconut milk.  It was late and she opened her evaporated milk and it was bad and she had a choice between skim and coconut milk and went for the coconut milk.  Said it was great.

False

I use the recipe on the back of Del Monte pumpkin and I use evaporated milk.

False

I always use fat-free evaporated milk.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I use evaporated milk since it's delicious & DH would expect cream ALL the time if I started putting it IN pumpkin pies!

Can say cream adds a little something extra in recipes.  Pumpkin pie settles "heavy" enough, after a full meal, we honestly don't need the richness or calories, cream would add.  Putting some whipped ON top works great.

False
    My mom taught me to use evap milk or reg milk.   And to add 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour to each pie filling mixture to make sure it thickened.
    False

Have used both.  My original recipe (over 100 years old) calls for 2 cups of "rich milk".  Sometimes, I open a can of evaporated (12 oz) and fill in the other 4 oz with whipping cream. 

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Honestly don't know - son is in charge of pumpkin pies....I know he made four last week and had pumpkin pie for breakfast....well why not Big Smile

False

I don't like the taste of evaporated milk, so I always use cream.

False

I've always used evaported milk...never thought about creme or even half and half.  I use the low fat/fat free and it always tastes wonderful, so I think I will leave well enough alone.

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast

I always use the Libby's recipe but tweak the spices a bit. My husband would be disappointed if I changed from the recipe in any way. Always evaporated milk, if it's not broken don't fix it.

False

Okay, so now I'm as confused as ever, LOL.  I think I am going to try to mix the two like 4boysMom did.  On my way to the store now.  THanks everyone!

False

I just finished my pies, used half evap and half heavy cream. I wish I could eat some now!

False
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket