fresh whipped cream recipe? advice | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

fresh whipped cream recipe? advice

Last post Nov 25, 2010 4:05 AM by freddie_Minnesota . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • fresh whipped cream recipe? advice

Hey, so I looked online for for a fresh whipped cream recipe, they are all the same, but I've heard different things like, use a metal bowl, don't use a metal bowl.  Chill the bowl and whisk.  Use beaters.  

I've never made it before, but I prefer it over store bought.  

Any advice anyone can give me would be great.  I am making Cherry Crisp and  Slow Cooker chocolate pudding cake.  :)  Excited!  They will be super yummy.  I'm feeling very domestic this year.  I'm even making home made stuffing.  Lol!  Well, it's a Mrs. Cubbinson recipe(walnut-apple stuffing).  What else do people make, besides potatoes, turkey, stuffing, rolls(orange rolls this year), pumpkin pie?  I just want it to be special this year, we are having the WHOLE family this year(both older brothers from other states, younger brother- new wife, my boyfriend- new to my family).  

EXCITED!!!!!  

False
  • Re: fresh whipped cream recipe? advice

Having things chilled does help. Also making sure you have things whipped really good helps with the content before you add the vanilla and powdered sugar. Also how true the content of the cream you are whipping is better then some other cream for how much watery it could be leading to harder time to get it all whipped right.

I usually have a variety of  cookies and homemade candy and other pies available to guests. Appetizers and vegetable tray out for the guests all day. Mid day I set out a bowl of chips and pretzels. Vegetable side dishes, and a special kind of salad is also a nice side to add. Gravy is on the list too, I didn't see you mention it. If the budget holds then punch is made also.

This year no guests will be here. Only immediate family. So it will be a big change on the menu. I want to ask family here yet what all they want me to fix for tomorrow besides the turkey. With it being really really low key I won't have to go to the fuss and preparation like I usually have to when a crowd of people are here.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

False

How to Make Whipped Cream

Make Whipped Cream

"Whipped cream" from a can is neither whipped nor cream. Whip up the real thing yourself either by hand or with an electric mixer, and the fresh taste will keep you from ever going back to the spray-on variety.

Difficulty: Easy

Instructions *********I do not do mine with a Hand whisk .

I chill the bowl and my KA whisk attachment then whisk with the KA .

I also  like to add a little  powdered sugar to taste in gradual amounts just before the whipping is complete~A

Things You'll Need:

• heavy whipping cream
    • wire whisk
    • stainless steel mixing bowls
    • Start by chilling a clean stainless steel bowl, (I use my Mix Master Bowl ) a whisk (or whisk attachment for your Mix master) and the cream in the refrigerator or freezer for 10 or 20 minutes. Let them get nice and cold, but don't freeze the cream. (Cream is easier to whip when cold.)
    1. 2

Pour the cream, when chilled, in the bowl and start whisking. Hold the whisk like a dagger, with the wire part pointing down, and use your wrist and elbow for the motion, not your shoulder.

2. 3

Stick the whisk in the bowl at an angle and draw it through the cream in quick, sharp motions.

3. 4

Alternate between circular motions and straight ones. Switch hands to lessen fatigue.

4. 5

It will take 3 or 4 minutes to whip a cup of cream. At first bubbles will appear on the surface of the cream, then it will start to become foamy, then volume will begin to build. As volume builds, the cream will pass through several degrees of stiffness. Light and foamy is best for topping cakes and desserts as an accompaniment; stiff and firm is best to use as a cake frosting or to make mousse.

While it is not necessary to "stabilize" whipped cream I often do this when I am having guests or wish to top a cake or simply have it hold it's shape a little longer. It is easy and inexpensive to do .~A

* Exported from MasterCook

To Stabilize Whipped Cream....

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Info Dessert

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 t Unflavored gelatin (Knox
    -comes to mind)
    4 ts Cold water
    1 c Heavy whipping cream
    1/2 ts Clear vanilla (or regular if
    -you do not mind that it
    -will
    Not be really white. (Vanilla can also be omitted~A)

Combine gelatin and cold water in a saucepan. Let stand until thick.
    Place over low heat, stirring constantly, just until gelatin dissolves.
    Remove from heat and cool. DO NOT LET IT SET. Whip cream, sugar, and
    vanilla until slightly thickened. While beating slowly, gradually add
    the gelatin to whipped cream mixture. Whip at high speed until stiff.
    Cakes iced with whipped cream must be stored in the refrigerator. This
    recipe comes from the Wilton year book.
    I have been using this method for several years.I usually use my microwave ,Heat the water in a small glass container just to boiling then I use a whisk.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I've always found it is best to whip just before serving. Oteker makes a stabilizer for whipped cream, I usually cannot find it in my area. I have been known to put a tsp or two of white chocolate pudding mix into the cream to thicken it a bit more and make it hold longer.

False

Rebecca

As Rebbeca the previous poster mentioned there is a product called "whip it" made by Dr Oteker you can usually find it in the international food aisle it comes two packets at a time they are about the size of an old fashioned Koolaid pkt.This works very well the cream will be stable for days, I have even frozen the cream and it does not lose its stiffness even after thawing
    False

I think the key is cold - cold cream, chill your bowl and beaters in the freezer, don't add the sugar until the cream starts to form soft peaks, and don't add the sugar all at once.  And don't overbeat it or you'll have butter!

The last thing you want to do is stand there in your kitchen, mixer whirring away, while your guests wonder where dessert is!  You can stabilize whip cream with powdered sugar - about 3T per cup of liquid cream.  Whip the cream until you get stiff peaks, then fold in the powdered sugar.  The cornstarch in the powdered sugar acts as a stabilizer.  That seems like the easiest solution to me.  (and I wouldn't go back to the grocery today - you couldn't pay me!)

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

Whipped cream, if made ahead with supermarket cream, sugar and vanilla will start to weep and break down.  It only takes a couple of minutes to whip cream, so it's worth doing it when you're ready to serve dessert, if you want to serve the best quality product to your guests.

You can get longer life out of your whipped cream if you use a better quality cream (at least 40% butterfat), but that may be hard for you to find unless you know a professional who may share some with you.

If you feel you absolutely must make the whipped cream ahead of time, after you make it, put a wire strainer in a bowl, put the whipped cream in the strainer, cover and refrigerate until serving time.  That lets any liquid that separates out strain away from the cream you'll be serving, so your whipped cream isn't too soft and runny.

False

Do NOT use a plastic bowl. HEAVY  whipping cream is available in most super markets.

Not sure what  Oetker stabelizer is made of but have a sneaky suspicion it could be clear-gel, the same ingredient  thamakes no-cook instamt pudding thicken . In Germany it is called "Sahnesteif' and has been on the market for at least 60 yrs, if not longer. It could also be gelatin that has been ground up into a very fine powder.(instead o small granules like Knox)

A few years ago I bought a box full of leaf gelatin because that is what my father used in the bakery. All Il have to do is take two leafs and soften them in luke warm water, then squeeze most of the water out and add to a pint of whipping cream. It will stay stf for at least 24 hrs if refrigerated.

I make it seldom because I don't need the fat calories but a twice a year it is an extra special treat.

One thing is certain, your guests and you will LOVE the taste of resh whipped cream. There is no substitute.

False

Needcontrol
    whip it" made by Dr Oteker

I used to buy  and use this product several years ago and  I still see it on the shelves, but  I switched to the gelatin as in the Master cook recipe the cost is much cheaper and the results pretty much the same. A box of the Knox gelatin lasts me a long time and saves $$. ~A

Dr. Oetker Whip It Stabilizer for Whipping Cream 10 g

Product Information

• Item Key: fe-aowhipit
    • UPC: 0 58336 01114 6
    • Ingredients: dextrose, modified corn starch, and tricalcium phosphate

False

I just want to make one thing clear.  You CAN whip cream in glass, metal OR plastic.  There's no problem at all whipping cream in a plastic bowl.  I've done it many times with perfect results.  Heavy cream is at least 1/3 fat, so using a bowl made of a petroleum-based material isn't going to keep it from whipping.

You can't use a plastic bowl for whipping EGG WHITES--because even the tiniest bit of fat will keep them from whipping up.  While both egg whites and cream whip up to make a white fluff, the science behind the two processes is different.

False

I have found that using a few Tbsp. of vanilla instant pudding really helps stabilize the whip cream.  I have been doing this for quite some time.

False

Callie123
    You CAN whip cream in glass, metal OR plastic

Yes, it is true that  you can whip cream in a plastic bowl and it works OK.

However plastic does not become  near as cold as a Metal bowl . Chilling the beater,  metal bowl and whisk  makes the best  Whipped Cream .

Per Baking 911-  "Ideally" use a Metal bowl

MAKING WHIPPED CREAM WITH TIPS: Whip chilled whipped cream with a balloon whisk (I like to use a 12-inch, balloon whisk. It is large enough to incorporate air quickly and efficiently), a hand-held electric or stand mixer, fitted with a beater attachment. Be aware that powerful stand mixers can quickly overwhip the cream, so if you use, don't over do it. 

Whip cream in a bowl that's deep and narrow with at least a 3-quart capacity as the cream will double in volume. I prefer to use a metal bowl (the one from my stand mixer when using a hand mixer) rather than a glass one; metal gets colder, best for whipping.

HOW TO SAVE FLAT WHIPPED CREAM WHEN STRAWBERRIES ARE FOLDED IN:

Q: I made whipped cream and folded in diced strawberries that were first marinated in liqueur and then drained. The whipped cream went flat. How do I fix it?

A: You can't really rewhip the cream which normally fixes it because of the added berries---but instead, I would stabilize it with gelatin and then rewhip. And, next time you make the same recipe, do so in advance so the whipped cream won't go flat when the berries are folded in.

1. Let whipped cream sit for 20 minutes so warms to room temperature. Put a mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer to chill. You will use them in step 4.

2. Prepare gelatin: 2 tablespoons cold water and 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin per 12 - 16 ounces of cream

Soak plain gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes. Dissolve by placing it in a container over a small pot of simmering water. Let cool.

3. Whisk cream with a wire whisk a few minutes just to incorporate. Let gelatin mixture cool to tepid. It will ball up if it is directly mixed with the whipped cream and will cause it to melt. To prevent this, with a whisk, beat in about one quarter of the whipped cream into the dissolved gelatin -- don't mush it around or stir. After mixing, whisk the gelatin/whipped cream mixture back into the rest of the whipped cream until the gelatin dissolves, about 1-2 minutes. You will whip it later after it has chilled.

4. Refrigerate mixture for 1-1/2 hours or 45 minutes in the freezer, which is my favorite way. Rewhip with an electric mixer with chilled beaters and bowl until fluffy and billowy. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.

To Make Whipped Cream:  Whipping cream, the

utensils and even the room must be chilled before making. Start with these steps:

STEP #1: To start, chill heavy whipping cream in the refrigerator, preferably overnight. It must be really cold.  

STEP #2:  Place bowl and beaters or wire whisk in the freezer for at least 15+ minutes before using. They must be super cold.  

STEP #3: Take bowl and implements from freezer and place mixing bowl in a larger "ice water bowl" so the cream remains cold while you whip. Pour well-chilled whipping cream into bowl. (Stand mixers have an ice attachment to be used just for this purpose.)

When cream whips, it splatters, especially when using a hand-held or stand electric mixer.  Decrease splattering by gradually increasing the speed of the mixer from low to high when beating. To catch any fly away cream with a stand mixer, you can protect yourself and your clothes by draping a kitchen towel over the top of the front end of the mixer. It should be large enough to just drape around the sides of the bowl, so it won't get caught in the mixer. Be careful.

STEP #4: Most often overlooked, the room where you beat the cream in must also be cold. What I do in the colder months, is to open a window and whip the cream right in front of it as the air pours in. In the warmer months, I make sure my air conditioner is on. If you don't have an air conditioner or the room is always on the warm side, make sure you place the bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice water and whip it in the coldest area of your house. 

NOTE: To fix whipped cream that has flattened, chill in the refrigerator for 1-1/2 hours or freeze in its bowl for 45 minutes, along with the beaters. Simply rewhip.  

STEP #5: Beat cream on low speed until small bubbles form, about 30 seconds. If using a balloon whisk start by lightly whisking the mixture. 

STEP #6: Increase speed to medium and continue beating until beaters leave a trail, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to high. With a hand-held electric mixer move the beaters up, down, and around the sides of the bowl while whipping. With a balloon whisk, sweep it down and around and up and into the bowl with medium-fast strokes. Scrape the sides of the bowl often with a rubber spatula.  

STEP #7: Just before it becomes soft and billowy, slowly add the sugar and flavorings to the whipped cream at the sides of the bowl. Continue to whip as you do.

STEP #8: Stop whipping when the cream has doubled in volume, is smooth, thick and forms soft or stiff peaks. If necessary, finish beating with whisk to adjust consistency. If whipped cream is at stiff peak, the consistency is soft and delicate and won't be like a stiff buttercream.

Make sure you don't whip the cream too long or it will turn to butter. At the beginning of turning, it will look like it has started curdling and takes on a very light yellow color. To salvage: put a little more cream into the mixing bowl. Then whisk it by hand to incorporate. If whipped cream has gone to the butter stage, it's too late to correct it, but it's okay to use as butter, instead.

False

Thanks everybody!  So excited!  :)

False

I never buy the canned stuff, never have. There is no comparison to the real thing, IMHO. If I am going to the trouble of making a dessert (which we don't have very often) I am not going to skimp on the topping.

I always chill my bowl and beaters. My mother never did. I think it works either way, but is much quicker if everything is well chilled. It only takes a few minutes to whip up a pint, and well worth the effort.

I found this interesting. One time I was watching Julia & Jaque on PBS. They did a side by side test on which was quicker, a balloon whisk, or an hand held mixer. Jaque used the whisk, Julia the mixer. Jacque won.

False