Best Way To Clean Stainless Stovetop? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Best Way To Clean Stainless Stovetop?

Last post Feb 06, 2011 12:35 AM by swissgal22 . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Best Way To Clean Stainless Stovetop?

I need your help. My stainless steel stovetop is highly polished and cleans beautifully everywhere except right under the burners where a ring of baked/cooked on grease has accumulated. I can't use steel wool as it would scratch the surface. The stove is less than a year old and this baked on grease started soon after I got it. I clean it after supper each evening and wipe up spills immediately, but the heat from the gas burner immediately bakes on any steamy oil,etc. I thought about using oven cleaner, but it is harsh and I wondered if some other product is out there that I don't know about. Thanks much -

Anne

False
  • Re: Best Way To Clean Stainless Stovetop?

I clean mine with Cerama Bryte Cooktop Cleaner I purchased it at Lowe's it comes with a scraper and a pad that will not scratch.  Around $7  Every store should have these products. I have purchased some from Walmart but that didn't work as well, I have been using a one sided razor that works well and does not scratch.  I can get every burned on spot with this method. I have a black top and would never buy one again it shows everything, in the morning you can see every peice of dust.  My sister has  a gray with white speckles and this color doesn't show everthing.  We rented a place in Florida last winter the stove top was a mess did this and it cleaned up like new.

False

Have you tried baking soda?  Make a paste with baking soda and water, spread on the dirty spots, leave for a couple of hours then wipe gently with a non-abrasive cloth or sponge.  Baking soda shouldn't scratch, but sometimes, the cloths and sponges we use (that are SUPPOSED to be non-abrasive) have impurities in them that do damage surfaces, so you'll want to be careful of both the cleaner you use and the 'wiper' you use to pick it up.

False

The Cerama Bryte is quite good, both on stainless steel and on glass cooktops.  I use that for sticky stuff. 

For everyday cleaning I use Simple Green All Purpose Spray, and a microfibre wash cloth.  (My husband uses the Simple Green and a paper-towel, because he can't stand to touch the microfibre cloths).  It does a good job of cutting grease and doesn't leave water spots.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

Thank you very much for your replies. I will try baking soda first as I have that on hand, and then call around for Cerema Bryte if that doesn't work. I do have Simple Green spray and use that to wipe up spills and that works fine, but it's the baked on gunk that is so hard to remove. Again, thanks for your quick answers.

False

Washing soda. Dissolve some in warm water, dunk a paper towel or old rag in it and lay on the grease spots and let soak for a bit.

Works great on my enamel top gas range and is cheap.

False

I clean my Stainless with "BABYOIL."

You can get some at the Dollar Store.

Use two clean soft cloths. The first for cleaning.

The second for buffing.

False
    IN GOD WE TRUST!

STEAM!  If you have any kind of a steam cleaner, that brings everything to a nice shine!

False

Dawn Power Dissolver is an excellent product.  I use it on my glass top stove for hard to remove spots.  It is for pots, pans, and dishes.  Follow the directions.  I bought it at Target.

False