What is "corporate casual"? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is "corporate casual"?

Last post Mar 04, 2011 9:21 AM by Rebecca_WV_40 . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • What is "corporate casual"?

I start my new job next month and the dress is corporate casual.  My previous jobs didnt have dress codes and I currently work from home so you are lucky if I put on pants!  LOL

All I know is that "Jean Day" is Friday and I have to pay $5 to wear jeans on that day.  The money is donated to the local humane society. 

I need help figuring out what I need to buy.  My ENTIRE wardrobe consists of sweats and jeans!

False
    Witty Whitney!
  • Re: What is "corporate casual"?

Corporate Casual, although it is not an official term and therefore varries from employer to employer, almost always means:

No jeans, sweats, or shorts.
    No midriff-baring shirts.
    Probably no halter-tops or tube-tops without some kind of wrap or jacket.
    Nothing so sheer that undergarments or lack thereof are obvious.
    Nothing threadbare or otherwise damaged.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

slacks, or Khakis, sweaters or nice tops, close toed shoes, no mini skirts... not alot of jewelry, neat clean pressed and conservative....

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

Time to do some shopping.  The above sound about right.  You might look at a web site for Banana Republic or Ann Taylor Loft to get some ideas.  You could shop at Kohl's and Penny's to get a start without spending too much $$$.  Jeans day would be dressy jeans and nice tops in my opinion...no holes or messy clothing.  Shop light and get an idea at work on what they really wear!

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast

I don't have a job with a dress code either but I would think it means conservative but comfortable.  I would stick to slacks, button down shirts, sweaters and maybe a skirt or two.  

I would also start by buying a few things you think are appropriate and then once you start get an idea of what everyone else is dressing in and make further purchases then.

Good Luck  

False

My son wears corporate casual & it's kaki  (sp?)....tan pants with a nice collared shirt.  I would think nice pants & coordinating tops/blouses would work.  Might you ocassionally need a more professional look like a pant-suit for special meetings with clients?  Comfortable shoes, not gym or running shoes.  Son's company cancelled jeans day on Fridays when employees started showing up with torn jeans & tee shirts w/slogans. 

False

My mate is corporate and has a casual Friday.  It includes nice leggings or slacks, khakis/skirts or dresses, and sweaters and blouses, all clean, pressed, no holes.  No logos on anything.  Open toed shoes are ok.  If tattooed, cover it up, and if pierced beyoud ears, save it for your day off.

For men khakis and polos, or pressed shirts, no tie.

The rest of the week it is all suits.

I am a chef, and my dress code is practical for a busy kitchen.  Different thing.

Dar

False

darcamani,

It basically means you don't have to wear a suit but you shouldn't wear jeans. Skirts of reasonable length, dresses that aren't overally casual (don't look like you are heading to a picnic), slacks. Nice blouses with sleeves or layered look. Dressy sweaters. No jeans, spandex, mini-skirts, worn out khakis, camo, etc. Open toed shoes are more acceptable now in many places. You don't have to wear heels but should not wear tennis shoes or sneakers.

For Jeans day, wear nice jeans - not faded, no holes, not baggy. I also wear a dressy blouse on jean day - no t-shirts or sweatshirts unless you find out that is acceptable.

Men usually wear khakis & polo shirts for business casual but seems very few women do that.

False
    Thanks everyone.  I will be working for a MAJOR LARGE corporation but I am in a different building on the other side of town from the corp headquarters.  I will be the only female in the department.  I will have some client contact but not much.  I know most of the guys wear khakis and either button down or polo shirts.  I am NOT looking forward to going shopping for clothes!  LOL
    False
    Witty Whitney!

I would stick to slacks and very nice tops, nothing low cut.  There are so many nice/cute sweaters and jackets to layer these days.

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast
    I would get some slacks in basic colors: black, gray, navy. Then you can add different tops or sweaters. A nice blazer in a tweed (black and white tweed, maybe) that you can pair with one of the slacks and a top. Then see. I agree no sneakers. Also no white in summer! Go with tan/khaki. Sweater sets are good, too.
    False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

Congrats!

Never heard of corporate casual, we have business casual at my job and some days we are allowed to wear jeans and tennies.

You may find like in my job what an indiviual thinks and how they interpret that term will vary, LOL! Some people at my job should literally be sent home. I've only known them to send anyone home if some of the females have clothes on that are considered too provacative.

False

Rebecca