Anyone know how to get raspberry seeds out (for making jam)? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Anyone know how to get raspberry seeds out (for making jam)?

Last post Apr 05, 2011 2:10 PM by BonnieRae . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Anyone know how to get raspberry seeds out (for making jam)?

I froze raspberries last summer,  defrosted them today to make jam.  DH has dentures and hates the seeds.  How can I strain the seeds out before making the jam,  but not the pulp?  TIA

You'll be my new best friend if you know how.  

False
  • Re: Anyone know how to get raspberry seeds out (for making jam)?

Go into Google and type in "how do you get the seeds out of raspberries".  There are 3 answers pertaining only to raspberries.   The second one is a video from Better Home and Gardens, but I copied the first one for you.   Sounds like it isn't the easiest compared to other berries.

I want to make raspberry juice and seedless raspberry jam. Do you know how I could extract the juice, getting rid of the seeds?

Ah, that is a trick. The darn little seeds are large enough to stick in your teeth and be annoying, but small enough to pass through a Foley Food mill (unlike blackberry seeds).

The easiest method is to gently heat mushed up raspberries until they thin out and the seeds separate. Then, while still hot, you can pour the raspberries through cheesecloth or a fine sieve and trap the seeds, while allowing the delightful raspberry juice (and some of the pulp) to pass!

Of course, most electric juicers have screens that are fine enough to trap the seeds, and some of the mechanical strainers like the Villaware, Roma, Ox brands include a fine screen, also.

False

I make a sauce for cheesecake using frozen raspberries.   I cook the raspberries in sugar and then pass them through a fine mesh sieve.  I use a wooden spoon to force the pulp through the sieve but the seeds reman trapped.   I do the same with strawberries and blueberries.

False

I use the Victorio Strainer with the berry screen.  It yields more pulp than a sieve and is infinitely faster. I do this for blackberry jam too. 

Stacey

False

You can get a food mill at places like Bed, Bath & Beyond. (make sure you have one of their coupons)  Use the finest insert.

False

Thanks everyone.  I do have a Vittorio out in a box in the garage somewhere.  Never even thought of it.  YAY!

False

I have a food strainer attachment to my Kitchen Aid stand up mixer.  It gets out about 80 % of the seeds, but smaller ones seem to escape into the juice.  We don't mind that small amount in our raspberry jam.  I tried using a jelly bag to let it slowly drip thru, but besides the time it takes, I don't like the waste.  I gotta say though, that jelly looks like a garnet jewel!  Beautiful.

BTW, Linda_Rae, I too have a raspberry patch and freeze the amounts I pick during the harvest season.  Each day I freeze what I picked on a jelly roll pan in the freezer single layer and then transfer to a gallon sized plastic bag.  I had eight gallons last season and  just made the jam in January.  It is to die for.  A lot of work.  Thank goodness my DH helps with the canning.

I am glad you came up with the solution that another poster had.  You already have the gadget tucked away in storage.  Good for you!

False