Does anyone own a Yellow Transparent Apple Tree? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does anyone own a Yellow Transparent Apple Tree?

Last post Apr 11, 2011 3:19 PM by Catmint_WV_49F . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Does anyone own a Yellow Transparent Apple Tree?

We were at the flea market yesterday,and there was a man selling trees at a great price. Nice ones.

DD wanted a Plum, not sure why, lol, but, she wanted one. She bought it herself. I was wanting an apple tree, but, I didn't buy one. I thought he may be out our way this week, which he has sold here before, just last week.

Anyway, he went ahead and gave me a small apple tree, the Transparent Apple., Yellow

It says it is an early apple, slightly tart, great for cooking.  Just wondering if you lilke it, etc...

False

catmint

• Re: Does anyone own a Yellow Transparent Apple Tree?

We had one when we lived in Olympia/WA. The apples do NOT last. You have to pick them all and use for applesauce or tey'll fall off the tree and rot real fast.

I would not recommend them. Folks in WA called them "throwing apples", on;y good enough to throw at stray dogs and cats (or maybe at somebody you don't likeWink

False

I don't have one but I believe around here we call them August Yellows.  Gr-elo is right, they do not keep AT ALL!  They are a soft apple to begin with and go mealy very quickly!  

Taking a look on the Idea side, maybe it will be a suitable cross pollinator for another desirable apple?

I went out today and sprayed my few trees  with dormant oil before it gets too much warmer.  I've never taken real good care of the trees before but I am going to try hard this year!

False

They are early... and they don't last... BUT they make THE BEST sauce and pies .... my grandma had a transparent tree and she watched it like a hawk... when they were ready she just got on it and got them put up....and we ate great pies and sauce fresh!!!  I would love to put one in....I have gravenstein and one called a Chehalis(deveolped for the short growing season in Western Wa) both are wonderful cooking apples!  I just got a Pie Cherry tree planted a few weeks ago

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

A friend in BC used to bring me several boxes of Transparents every year in Aug.  She picked them with a green color because by the time they turned yellow, you'd not want to use them.  Yellow meant they'd "gone" mealy & lost flavor. 

One year she went home & found a black bear camped in her tree helping himself to the apples!!  He wasn't eager to leave.

Agree, Transparents make wonderful applesauce & pies.  I also make a pectin (similar to sauce, just use tart, firm apples, with the peels on & then sieve) to add in cooked apricot jam.  Yummy!  Can't buy that in a store! 

False

Thanks everyone! No wonder he gave it away. Lots of cons. And I"m not good at making pies, sauces, etc. I may give it to my SIL and BIL . She is great at those things, and they have a new farm.

False

catmint

Transparents are my FAVORITE apple and I haven't been able to find them for years.  The taste is like no other apple.  Yes, they don't last long, but they're worth it if you only get one good one off that tree!!!! 

False
    If I were you cat,I wouldn't give it away. Plant it in your pasture with your cows and horses. That would be a GREAT treat for them. Or,if plant it outside the pasture,but right along the fence line,that way you can go out and throw them over to the animals. With all the critters you have around there,I'm sure even the wild animals would love them.
    False

My thought exactly, lilmouthy, thanks!

Sounds like a nice little tree, Catmint, enjoy letting the animals share in the food it produces!

False

"In the end we're all alone ... and no one's coming to save you."  -John Reese

I agree with Grelo,  They don't stay good long.  But they make great applesauce.

False

Thanks everyone, but, I've already offered it to my SIL. I think it will be taken better care of, and, they can always give me some. Big Smile

I had thought about putting it in the pasture, but, I'd had to fence it off somehow, so they wouldn't have stomped or rubbed it down. My flowering crab in the yard, Ole Granny, when she was sick, we let her graze in the yard, she almost tore it to pieces. It has come out of it, though, even though she pruned it pretty well. lol

I want to get maybe a Winesap from him, if I see him again in our city, and I don't have many places to plant. If SIL doesn't want it, I'll put it near the pasture.

False

catmint

Early apples don't last long in storage. they are also called summer apples. And as a side note, most plum trees have to cross pollinate, otherwise they just look pretty and give no fruit. One way to do this is to plant a few plums or plant a flowering crab tree. Thay will cros pollinate and give you lots of fruit. The haeviest bearing plums are the Italian plums. They are the egg shaped or oval, dark blue plums. These are the plums they make prunes with.

Winesaps are a very good storing apple. They are fairly tart and are quite hard. Very good for pies, Not so good for sauce. They don't break down easily. MacIntosh is the best for sauce. Some other apples you should consider......Macoun and Empire. The Macoun is a mid to late apple. Very nice flavor. Great for eating and pies. Empire is a cros between Red Delicious and MacIntosh. My favorite. It is not as sweet as Red Delicious and also not as hard.

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

Thanks, Jet. Shoot, my mind just went blank , I had the name of the Plum she got. Metheny??? I'll have  to look it up. But, it doesn't have to be cross polinated. They had another kind, that did.

We have a flowering Crab in the yard, and I was going to plant this plum near it. I didn't know that Flowering Crabs did that. Not sure it is the right one.  We have a Crabapple in the pasture.

There is a nice apple tree on the ridge, but, we've never gotten to it to get any apples. I think the deer get them first. lol

False

catmint

Metheley.  I looked it up. It says it is a great Plum. Hope so!!

False

catmint