Salt & Pepper Shakers: Holes? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Salt & Pepper Shakers: Holes?

Last post Apr 11, 2011 1:22 PM by darcamani . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Salt & Pepper Shakers: Holes?

I recently received a salt and pepper shaker set as a gift.  Two yellow chicks one with 3 holes and one with 2 holes.  They are not labeled so my question is....  Which is Which??

False
  • Re: Salt & Pepper Shakers: Holes?

Three holes is for SALT and the two holer is for PEPPER.  As a rule, one uses more SALT than PEPPER.

False

Marilyn

Salt shakers were not thought of until the mid 1850's,Salt Cellars were used. Salt was a necessary premium for preserving foods and using it at table was not to common. Salt Cellars,which I still use for a more formal dinner were something that was usually filled upon use and salt was stored in a tight container until use. Originally the holes on a salt shaker were larger due to the fact that salt was coarser than and needed larger holes for easier flow. As a matter of fact salt was usually sold in a block at one time and you had to shave/grind up what you needed when you needed it. Because of salt restriction diet I switch the caps for a less shake of the salt also use only coarse kosher salt for cooking.
    False

Motorhomegal

Three holes is for SALT and the two holer is for PEPPER.  As a rule, one uses more SALT than PEPPER.

I second that. Smile
    False

How to keep Gingerbread men from running away?  Eat them.

I third that!

False

Please be kind to animals.       Trust everyone, but always cut the cards.

I fourth that.:) I collect s and p shakers , just love them and make my kitchen very fun.  Yet I also use a salt bowl for daily cooking and only use a pepper grinder at table.

False

darcamani,