Remember the graduation cedar chest? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Remember the graduation cedar chest?

Last post May 29, 2011 6:39 PM by colleen10 . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • Re: Remember the graduation cedar chest?

richlinKy

Girl's today don't care about such things.

I agree with that. My parents sold their home a few years back and gave me my cedar chest which I apparently never knew was mine. We put it in DD's bedroom so she could have it now since MY DH built me a cedar chest rbefore we were married. DD wants to get rid of my other one.

False

Every day I’m shufflin’

I got my cedar chest when I graduated at age 16, 72 years ago.  I still have it, but is now down in the tack room in the barn holding horse blankets....never did have a miniature one.

False

I still have my miniature cedar chest, and I'm using it as a jewelry box...it's now 55 years old.Yes

False

I still have mine! It's in my bedside stand.  Smile

I also have a regular cedar chest at the foot of the bed that I store clothes in. I rotate summer clothes/winter sweaters.

False

I got one at graduation. I kept it for years but when the kids hit their terrible twos a lot of my costume jewelry and trinket boxes were destroyed.

We had a couple of jewelry stores that gave every graduate a miniature teaspoon pin. The idea was to get the girls to pick a pattern so people could give them silverware then or later when they married.

False

richlinKy

Girl's today don't care about such things.

I don't know that it's that they don't care...I think it's more of a case that it's no longer necessary.  Anymore, most girls finish school and live on their own or with friends before (and if) they get married.  I know when I got married I already had a house full of stuff (and had to start all over again once I divorced).

False

"Why do they make women's shampoo smell like fruit and flowers? If we want to attract men with the smell of our hair, it should smell like bacon." "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon

Yes I do, but I don't know what happened to mine.  I had it for years and now wish I had kept it too.   I'll have to ask my sister if she still has hers.

False

I got one and it was in the cedar chest my mother gave me.  Unfortunately they both burned when her house burned.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I got one, but forgot about it until I read your post.  I have no idea where it is.

False

I got one for high school grduation  from the local furniture store in town. Have't seen the thing in 20 years and have no idea what happened to it. I'm sure it got lost in a move. I have my moms though.

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

I have always wanted a large Lane chest to put at the foot of my bed.  I have decided to wait until we are done moving so much because I would hate for it to get scratched and dinged from the movers.  Ahhhh, I can't wait, just a few more years.

I think the miniture ones must be a generational thing.  I have never heard of any business giving something as nice as a jewerly sized Lane chest to every graduating girl... wish they had in my day.  You all with the chests are very lucky indeed and I am jealous!  :)

False

I still have mine and it has no dings or scratches.  It is in better shape than I am and it is only 58 years old.

False

Yes, I received one of these miniature Lane cedar chests when I graduated high school in 1952. It still sits on my dresser and is used to hold some of my "treasures". The chest was given, by one of the furniture stores, to all the girl graduates in the city. Also, we were given a stirling silver teaspoon from each of the top three jewelry stores in town. The spoons were given to entice us to register our silver pattern with that store. One of the stores even allowed me to trade the spoon given to me at one of the other strores since that store didn't have the pattern I selected. Although I still have the chest the teaspoons were taken when my house was broken tnto, along with my heirloom silver tableware (it belonged to my grandmother and two of my aunts). Although I do have three stirling silver teaspoons they are insurance replacements. This topic brings back many sweet memories from long ago.

False