How do I cook whole large mouth bass?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do I cook whole large mouth bass??

Last post Jul 14, 2011 5:32 PM by bbwdreamsicle . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • How do I cook whole large mouth bass??

A friend gave me three large mouth bass. They are not very large... maybe 8-12 inches in length, maybe a pound or so each. I have NO IDEA how to clean OR cook them. I have never even tasted large mouth bass. They are in the fridge defrosting over night. I was told they are easier to clean when they are not quick entirely thawed, but I have no clue how to cook them. My friend says he fries them whole, but he is not available right now to tell me exactly how to prepare them. I know we have fisher(wo)men on these boards... so I figured I would pose the question here. I was thinking of cleaning them, leaving them whole and baking them with some fresh tomatoes and onions, but I have no idea how long to cook them, at what temp OR if they would taste good like  this. Any suggestions? Am I better off pan frying them?? Should I cook all three at once, or do one at a time? PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have not been on here in ages... I was busy moving to a new state... I am in Hartford Connecticut now!

False
  • Re: How do I cook whole large mouth bass??

I would check first...I wished I would have saved it...some Government thing put a BIG list out the other day about which fish NOT to eat right now for different reasons...the lake closest to here had listed NOT to eat ANY large mouth bass caught in that lake on account of Mercury.    This was the FIRST time I had ever seen fish from this lake be listed.  I'll go check and see if I can find that list.

False

Thanks for the advice. i just looked at a pamphlet from CT DPH and it says to not eat bass more than once a week. I am not exactly sure where he caught this fish, but even the higher risk waterbodies say one fish a month is OK, so I guess I will just cook one of the fish he gave me and wait a few weeks to make another one. THanks for the heads up!

False

No,that's not what I was meaning...There's something going on in the waters and causing some fish in some water to be unhealthy and you are supposed to eat NONE of them...just for right now.  I never could find that list...but it did say to eat NONE of the Bass caught in that lake..not even 1.  But,again, that was in this lake near me.  The list had fish from all over, all different lakes and rivers that they are putting warnings out for...sure wish I could find it.

False

Lilmouthy is right. There are many areas in different water bodies that you are NOT to eat the fish. Where I reside there is a warning for a State Park water area. The warning is to not eat certain fish, and no swimming is advisable. The baterial count is majorily majorily high. A relative in another area in a state has the same issue with a huge river body that goes into many areas of the state. Which of course that water would continually travel other places.

I would get ahold of the person who gave you the fish and find out where he caught it. Then do a google search on the area and see if you can find anything out.

This is how I was taught to cook fish,  cut the head, tail off, open the fish up, glean the guts out, and sometimes remove the big bones. Rinse the fish under some water. Then  soak the fish in milk. Make a bread coating with crushed bread crumbs, seasonings, and an egg. Then  dip the fish into the bread crumb mixture. Coat the fish. Have a cast iron skillet ready with  a little bit of oil on a medium heat and lay the coated fish in. Cover with a lid, and let it cook for a little bit of time, flip and fry the other side. You can lower the heat if you wish to let it slowly cook.  Or you can skip the skillet and just bake it in your  oven on a cookie sheet or casserole dish.  

False

I am not sure if he will remember where he caught it,because it has been in the freezer for a few months now. But on the DHP website for Connecticut, there were only one or two bodies of water that listed bass as not suitable for consumption. The others all said either once a week or once a month.

I will ask him where he caught it, but he is an avid fisherman, and is very familiar with the lakes and rivers all over the state, and I know he keeps up with all of the advisories, so I am sure he did not fish in the areas that were listed as dangerous.

Stupid me though, I took the fish out last night, it is about half defrosted right now, and I don't think I am going to be able to cook it until Saturday because I am doing some volunteer work tomorrow! Luckily my fridge is very cold, and it takes about 48 hours for things to defrost anyway!

False