Ham Finger Food | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ham Finger Food

Last post Dec 21, 2011 10:07 AM by SusanMarie1956 . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Ham Finger Food

Hi!

Help ... My Mom is having Christmas at her house and said it will all be Finger Foods.  So how do I go about using the ham we got as a Finger Food? Any ideas?

~ Susan

False
  • Re: Ham Finger Food

Ham Pinwheels

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Ham-Pinwheels

False

Slice it thinly & make little sandwiches using the cocktail rye bread.  Or, make ham salad by grinding it up & fill little puff pastries with it.  Or, use the ham salad to make little triangle sandwiches from regular bread.  Or, cube up the ham, cheese cubes, cherry tomatoes, pickles, tiny onions & put on a stick for kabobs. 

False

Ham roll-ups appetizer

Take one ham slice.

Cut lengthwise in 1/3 pieces.  Then cut crosswise in half.

Soften some cream cheese and spread on the ham slice..

Slice a dill pickle in long pieces and then cut again width wise to fit the ham slice.

Lay the dill pickle slice ontop of the cream cheese and roll up and fasten with a fancy or colored toothpick...

False

To make your own deviled ham:  pulse (maybe 3 or 4 times) ham pieces in a food processor.  Season according to taste.

TINY HAM STUFFED TOMATOES
    posted by tvcat

1 pt. cherry tomatoes
    2 (2 1/4 oz.) cans of deviled ham
    3 tbsp. sour cream
    2 tbsp. horseradish
    Fresh parsley for garnish

Thinly slice tops of cherry tomatoes. Remove pulp; drain shells
    upside down on paper towels. In a small bowl, combine deviled ham,
    sour cream and horseradish. Stuff tomatoes and refrigerate.

Garnish with parsley before serving. Tuna stuffed tomatoes:
    substitute one 3 1/2 oz. can of tuna for ham.

False

Ham and Cheese Puffs

Recipe By: Quick Cooking - July/August 2000 pg 41
    Serving Size: 24

1 package cooked ham (2 1/2 ounce) -- sliced and chopped
    1 small onion -- chopped
    1/2 cup Swiss cheese -- shredded
    1 egg
    1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 tube refrigerated crescent rolls -- (8 ounces)

In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. Divide crescent dough into 24 portions. Press into greased miniature muffin cups. Spoon 1 tablespoon ham mixture into each cup. Bake at 350 degrees for 13 - 15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield 2 dozen.

NOTES : Made mixture and instead of crescent cup, I put it into won ton cups and baked for about 5 minutes. Worked just as well.

False

Do you have a meat slicer at home? 

posted by cookin4lovinGA

I am a fan of cheese cubes and meat chunks. I put them on a platter and serve with pretzel sticks. I use these as "picker upers". Or a veggie platter with a homemade dip. I also like tortilla pinwheels. They're always a big hit. Here's how I make them:

1 package Big flour tortillas
    2 containers of whipped veggie cream cheese
    thin sliced deli ham

Spread the cream cheese edge to edge on the flour tortillas. Top with a slice of deli ham. Roll up jelly roll style. Put in refrigerator a couple of hours to harden the cream cheese. Cut into 1/2 inch slices.

I sometimes sprinkle some chopped black olives and some chopped green chiles on top of the cream cheese.

Cherie in GA

False

posted by donnac__montreal

HAM & ASPARAGUS ROLLS
    Excellent source of thiamine and folacin

Preparation time 5 minutes
    Cooking time 3 minutes
    Makes 2 servings

½ bunch asparagus, about ½ lb (250 g)

¼ cup (50 mL) light mayonnaise

1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard

¼ tsp (1 mL) dark sesame oil

Pinches of salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 large flour tortillas, preferably spinach or sun-dried tomato flavour

4 thin slices deli-style ham

1. Partially fill a large frying pan with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, snap tough ends from asparagus and discard. In a bowl, stir mayonnaise with Dijon, oil, salt and pepper. Add asparagus to boiling water. Boil until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately plunge into a bowl of cold water. Drain, then pat dry with paper towels. Spread mayonnaise mixture over tortillas. Cover each with 2 overlapping slices of ham. Divide asparagus and place spears along 1 edge of each tortilla. Roll up and fasten with toothpicks. Rolls will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 4 hours. When ready to serve, slice in half.

False

Ham & Swiss Cheese Roll-ups posted by zakons

1 package deli ham slices
    1 chunk of swiss cheese

Slice the ham slices lengthwise in thirds. Cut the swiss cheese in small cubes. Roll the swiss cheese in one of the ham slices. Secure with a toothpick...

Always a hit..Disappears fast and very easy for something quick..I try to use colored toothpicks..Looks and tastes great

False

Now that you've gotten a lot of good ideas, I'm wondering if you are happy with this? It doesn't sound like a great Christmas meal to me. Just wondering how you feel about it?

False

I have made little biscuits and served them as "ham and biscuits". 

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

Hi Again!

That is a lot of Great Ideas !!!  Thank You All So Much !!! we actually have 2 Hams! I just found out tonight. My sister also has one. So she can use a few of these ideas also..:-)

Have a Merry Christmas !!!

~ Susan

False

We've been having finger foods for the past several years & really prefer it to a sit down meal. It gives everyone a chance to visit with one another rather than being next to the same person most of the evening. An added bonus is all the different foods we get to eat & recipes we share. My mom says its so much easier & a lot less mess in the kitchen so we all have a lot more time together.

We started cutting back by doing ham sandwiches, potato salad & baked beans, gradually over time its now just finger foods

False

If the ham is spiral cut, it's already finger food! 

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

I agree... It's the same with us... :-)

~ Susan

False