Is this an egg allergy or intolerance? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form




Is this an egg allergy or intolerance?

Last post Jan 09, 2012 8:23 PM by calgal_NV . 6 replies.


Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Is this an egg allergy or intolerance?

    I have never had issues with eggs before but last yr we started going out to breakfast at a neighborhood place right after we moved here.  I usually get the egg omelet.  After eating I would get this weird coating feeling in my mouth, throat and down my esophagus, a tightening in my chest (not shortness of breath though) and then stomach and intestinal distress a bit later.  At first I thought maybe it was the grease but then started noticing it when I make scrambled eggs or omelets at home.  (At home I only use eggs from a friends chickens.)

    I love eggs and would hate to have to stop eating them!!!!  I dont have the same symptoms if I eat other things that contain eggs.  Only if I eat just eggs or omelets.

    False
    Witty Whitney!
  • Re: Is this an egg allergy or intolerance?

    You better check with your doctor - those are allergy symptoms.

    Intolerance symptoms are usually stomach upset, gas - things you could live with if you had to.  The mouth & throat things you're talking about sound too serious not to have checked out.

    True

    Online Community / Field Editor Manager

    Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

    PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

    Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

  • Re: Is this an egg allergy or intolerance?

    Ditto....get a test at the Doctor...

    My daughter had a Rast test.....they take blood and test the tube of blood for foods/allergies

    She was allergic to egg whites , but not egg yolks.....plus allot of other food allergies...parts of milk...she got horrible migraines in the 4th grade because of the food allergies

    I am allergic to penicillin...since maybe 8 or 9 years old....my eyes swelled shut, face swelling....to this day, they will not even test me for penicillin because anytime you have an allergy that affects above the heart , it is dangerous.

    The doc told me that an allergy above the heart can close off your wind pipe, so they won't even try testing me. for penicillin.........they said each reaction can get worse than the last...the doc told me, he saw many a soldier die because of penicillin allergies, where the throat closes off.

    I would go and surely get tested.

     

    I also reacted to contrast dye in a cat scan...neck and face covered in huge hives while taking the test....this was as an adult...one big blotchy mess

     

    False
  • Re: Is this an egg allergy or intolerance?

    I also have a sister in law that didn't react to shrimp until age 50 plus.  any fish cooking....

    She used to make shrimp for us at her house....2 years later, major reactions, even passing out...even being around cooked fish /seafood she had a reaction.  She even had to be careful at her luncheons at her work where people brought in food....tuna fish in a salad , just smelling it in the room, gave her a bad reaction...closing off her wind pipe.  The live on a lake,,,,she can clean a fish, but cannot be around or in a room with fish cooking....the tuna at work really surprised me....but she had reactions to that also.

    False
  • Re: Is this an egg allergy or intolerance?

    Thanks!  I go to the Dr next month so I will have him check it out and from now until then I am not eating eggs.  DARN because I like eggs on Sunday mornings!  Its our tradition.  :-(

    False
    Witty Whitney!
  • Re: Is this an egg allergy or intolerance?

    Zakons, funny you would be talking bout penicillin. When I was in the hospital for a week over Christmas with CHF, pneumonia and anemia they turned me lose with a script for the antibiotic "Omnisef plus a diuretic called Spironolactone. After taking both for 3 days I got very sick, nausea, fatigue, dizziness and lost 3 lbs in 3 days because I could hardly eat anything, not o forget the almost 13 lbs I had lost in 2 1/2 days being on intravenous  antibiotic and diuretic  I was one sick puppy, called doc and asked if they could not take care of pneumonia with the old, proven penicillin.

    He told me it is no longer used since  it has lost it's effect because it was a "one generation" antibiotic and no longer cures anything. He also said tha not too far in future none of the antibiotics will work any longer because there are so many and they have been over-prescribed and over-used for so many years the bacterias are now immune to penicillin. (And when that happens, then what?? Scary thoughts.......) I have an appointment next Monday and will ask if penicillin allergies are something people should still worry about. Am curious because I had penicillin only twice and that was in the late 50s and once in the 60s.Had Cephalexin(sp) about 2-3  times, the same with Cipro.Both gave me very mild nausea but nothing like the Omnisef combined with the diuretic Spironolactonethat  can cause the same side effects. Can't take Lasix as a diuretic because you have to take potassium chloride with it and the latter made my stomach lining look like raw hamburger. There is one other diuretic they want to try but am afraid I am one of those rare people who can tolerate only VERY FEW meds.Maybe I should start being a lady of leisure and spend most of my time sitting in my comfy chair with my legs elevated.

    Will let you know what doc says about penicillin allergies since it is no longer prescribed or used because it is not effective any more.


    False
  • Re: Is this an egg allergy or intolerance?

    Hubby has a cousin that had to stop eating scrambled eggs and omelets because he said they made his chest hurt. He claimed that it was just eggs that had been beaten..scrambed or omelets. Fried eggs or hard boiled didn't bother him. He figured that beating the eggs changed the chemical balance or something in them and something about that change bothered him. I thought he was full of it..but now that I read your post, maybe he is on to something. Maybe it's just beaten eggs (omelets) that bother you. I wouldn't chance trying to eat a hard-cooked egg to test that theory, though, until you see your doctor. Good luck!

    False