Homemade Carnation milk baby formula | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Homemade Carnation milk baby formula

Last post Mar 21, 2015 6:57 PM by arelabs . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Homemade Carnation milk baby formula

I have an amish friend that just had twins(boy&girl) on New Years Day.  They weighted 7# 8oz and 6# 8 oz..  She doesn't have enough milk for both babies.  I am 64 and was raised on the old carnation milk homemade formula.  My mother is 92 and can't remember the recipe.  I think it is carnation milk, cool boiled water and karo..  Can someone help me?  Thanks

False
  • Re: Homemade Carnation milk baby formula

While I was also raised on homemade formula, I would highly recommend store-bought formula. I hope the babies are being seen by a pediatrician.

False

i was a carnation baby also...karo also sounds familiar but theres noone left to ask....

it seems to me...this is a long ago memory....the more she nurses, the more milk she'll have??? no???

is there noone else she can ask??? dr., pharmacist, nurse???

False

Both of my kids were raised on Carnation.   One can mixed with one can of boiled cooled water.  No Karo.

I had a 35 cent paperback book by Dr. Spock to refer to when I had questions and couldn't contact a doctor.   That and my mom helped me when I wondered what to do.  Way back then, there were no disposable bottle liners or nipples.   I boiled the bottles, nipples and caps and the tongs to handle the bottles plus the Pyrex measuring container to mix the formula in.   So much work. 

When my DD had her children, she had tons of books written by so many people and they all had different ideas! 

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

Just Google "Carnation milk formula for babies". 

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

Yes, babies in "our day" were fed this homemade formula.  But I wouldn't feed it to a baby today.  The commercially-prepared formulas are much more nutritionally complete.  And they contain the important Omega-3's which aid in brain development.  No sense in depriving the child of good nutrition just to save a few pennies. 

As far as the mom nursing more to produce more milk, that isn't always the case.  Some women are not equipped with enough milk glands. 

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I used a carnation milk formula for my daughter after breast feeding for several months.  The recipe was in my husbands baby book. I think if I needed to do it again I would use the Carnation formula over ready made formula just to skip all the chemicals.

False

4boysmom
      The commercially-prepared formulas are much more nutritionally complete.  And they contain the important Omega-3's which aid in brain development.

I'm with 4boys on this one.  If you're concerned about chemicals then buy a certified organic formula.  Baby's get all their nutrition from formula (or breast milk) for a long time - you'd want it to be as complete as possible.

4boysmom
    s far as the mom nursing more to produce more milk, that isn't always the case. 

I'm with her on this one too! I had to supplement my babies with formula.  My body just never made enough to satisfy them.  I nursed and bottle fed both.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

1 can of carnation evaporated milk, 16oz. Of boiled water & 1 tablespoon of Kayro Syrup. I used this formula for my 6 children plus 3 of my grandchildren. Never ever had a problem with it.
    False
    This was posted in Jan of 2012. One might imagine those babies would not be drinking formula anymore. I wonder why people feel a need to post these old comments or questions.
    False

Usually the person bumping up an old post is a newbie. They've probably done a search on a certain subject, and one of the posts from here pops up so they join and comment. They probably don't even realize it's old. 

False

When my daughter was a baby I was very poor financially. Her WIC checks weren't enough to keep her fed all month,  and my food stamps weren't enough to supplement her WIC with commercial formula.  My dad and his twin were born in the 1950's, and I remembered him telling me how his mother fed all of her children evaporated milk formula with a recipe that the hospital staff gave her. I was and still am a frequent customer of thrift shops, and I found an older version of Dr. Spock's baby book with a recipe for the evaporated milk formula and 2 different preparation methods. The recipe called for a 12 oz can of evaporated milk,  2 level tablespoons of white granulated sugar,  and 18 oz of boiled or tap water.  Honey and corn syrup were discouraged under 1 year of age due to botulism spores. I always used distilled water for this recipe, & I would add 1 teaspoon of infants rice cereal to the for bottle for every 2 oz of formula. Is it as nutritional as commercial formula? Probably not. But it wasn't harmful either, and it prevented my baby from going hungry. My dad now holds 2 masters degrees,  and his twin brother holds a master's also and is his 2nd term as a congressman. I would use this recipe again in a heartbeat, with no hesitation. 

False

Great experience, Melissa....I loved Dr. Spock!

My only experience with Carnation Milk was when my son, 8, brought home a kitten he had found in the gutter. Someone had dumped him,.  His tail was broken, his tummy bloated and not weaned.  Holy cow, what a mess he was and he ended up with an inexperienced cat mom.  I got an eyedropper and fed the little guy some Carnation.  It was late at night and no vets available so I told my son I'd try my best but not to expect too much.  The next morning the kitty was showing signs of activity....not much but looked better.  I continued that day with the milk and the kitten didn't show too much improvement after that.  Finally got a vet to look at him and he said the Carnation was fine only my giving it to him straight from the can wasn't good.  Too rich.  He said to dilute it, which I did and the kitten thrived.  He grew up with our family always sleeping with our son and "liking him best".  He obviously was the runt of the litter and with his crooked tail looked a little silly.  He was a really little guy but had a huge ego always taking on anything that got in his way.  He turned out to be an expensive member of the family because his exploits landed him at the vets many, many times.  He lived to a ripe old age and will always be in our hearts.

My Carnation Story. When I saw this thread it brought a flood of memories.

False

The half filled glass and the half-empty glass contain the same amount of wine. But the half-empty glass has a fly in it.

Melissa and Roma - OMgosh, what a pleasure it was reading both of your Carnation stories!  Thanks for sharing such interesting times.

Arlene

False