Homemade Carnation milk baby formula | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Homemade Carnation milk baby formula

Last post Sep 16, 2013 6:41 PM by bratnella_NM . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Homemade Carnation milk baby formula

I have an amish friend that just had twins(boy&girl) on New Years Day.  They weighted 7# 8oz and 6# 8 oz..  She doesn't have enough milk for both babies.  I am 64 and was raised on the old carnation milk homemade formula.  My mother is 92 and can't remember the recipe.  I think it is carnation milk, cool boiled water and karo..  Can someone help me?  Thanks

False
  • Re: Homemade Carnation milk baby formula

While I was also raised on homemade formula, I would highly recommend store-bought formula. I hope the babies are being seen by a pediatrician.

False

i was a carnation baby also...karo also sounds familiar but theres noone left to ask....

it seems to me...this is a long ago memory....the more she nurses, the more milk she'll have??? no???

is there noone else she can ask??? dr., pharmacist, nurse???

False

Both of my kids were raised on Carnation.   One can mixed with one can of boiled cooled water.  No Karo.

I had a 35 cent paperback book by Dr. Spock to refer to when I had questions and couldn't contact a doctor.   That and my mom helped me when I wondered what to do.  Way back then, there were no disposable bottle liners or nipples.   I boiled the bottles, nipples and caps and the tongs to handle the bottles plus the Pyrex measuring container to mix the formula in.   So much work. 

When my DD had her children, she had tons of books written by so many people and they all had different ideas! 

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

Just Google "Carnation milk formula for babies". 

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

Yes, babies in "our day" were fed this homemade formula.  But I wouldn't feed it to a baby today.  The commercially-prepared formulas are much more nutritionally complete.  And they contain the important Omega-3's which aid in brain development.  No sense in depriving the child of good nutrition just to save a few pennies. 

As far as the mom nursing more to produce more milk, that isn't always the case.  Some women are not equipped with enough milk glands. 

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I used a carnation milk formula for my daughter after breast feeding for several months.  The recipe was in my husbands baby book. I think if I needed to do it again I would use the Carnation formula over ready made formula just to skip all the chemicals.

False

4boysmom
      The commercially-prepared formulas are much more nutritionally complete.  And they contain the important Omega-3's which aid in brain development.

I'm with 4boys on this one.  If you're concerned about chemicals then buy a certified organic formula.  Baby's get all their nutrition from formula (or breast milk) for a long time - you'd want it to be as complete as possible.

4boysmom
    s far as the mom nursing more to produce more milk, that isn't always the case. 

I'm with her on this one too! I had to supplement my babies with formula.  My body just never made enough to satisfy them.  I nursed and bottle fed both.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

1 can of carnation evaporated milk, 16oz. Of boiled water & 1 tablespoon of Kayro Syrup. I used this formula for my 6 children plus 3 of my grandchildren. Never ever had a problem with it.
    False
    This was posted in Jan of 2012. One might imagine those babies would not be drinking formula anymore. I wonder why people feel a need to post these old comments or questions.
    False

Usually the person bumping up an old post is a newbie. They've probably done a search on a certain subject, and one of the posts from here pops up so they join and comment. They probably don't even realize it's old. 

False