accidentally added baking soda instead of baking powder to muffins | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

accidentally added baking soda instead of baking powder to muffins

Last post Feb 05, 2012 1:18 AM by juliewa . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • accidentally added baking soda instead of baking powder to muffins

Hello everyone,

I am making Lemon Blueberry Ricotta muffins.  This recipe makes 18 muffins and I substituted lowfat cream cheese for the ricotta.  I wasn't being as careful as usual and added 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda instead of baking powder.  I was supposed to add 1 1/2 tsp. b.p. and 1/8 tsp. baking soda.  It was mixed in before I realized my mistake.  I was planning on giving some of these away to a friend.  Do I need to just throw out the whole batch or might it be ok.  Please advise.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Julie

False
  • Re: accidentally added baking soda instead of baking powder to muffins

Hi Julie, There isn't anyone assigned to answer questions here. None of work for Reiman Publications. We're just people from all over the world that come to chat and share recipes.

I would think that the muffins will taste funny. I guess you could bake them and then taste.

Wish I could be of more help. Welcome to Kitchen Chat!!

False

Here's a link with some info - sorry it would probbaly be too late for you now.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm

Substituting in Recipes

You can substitute baking powder in place of baking soda (you'll need more baking powder and it may affect the taste), but you can't use baking soda when a recipe calls for baking powder. Baking soda by itself lacks the acidity to make a cake rise. However, you can make your own baking powder if you have baking soda and cream of tartar. Simply mix two parts cream of tartar with one part baking soda.

Andrea

False

Thank you ladies.  I looked through other similar type muffin recipes and some called for baking soda and no baking powder (usually a tsp.).  So I decided to go ahead and bake them and taste before I offered them to anyone else (family or friends).  They rose fine and tasted fine, so I gave some to friends and my family is enjoying the rest.

Thank you for your replies.

Julie

False