Expired Duncan Hines cake mix - Use or toss? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Expired Duncan Hines cake mix - Use or toss?

Last post Feb 29, 2012 11:00 AM by CardinalPuff . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Expired Duncan Hines cake mix - Use or toss?

I found a box of Duncan Hines Pineapple Supreme cake mix in my pantry.  The box says "Best by March 30, 2011", which was 11 months ago.  I did an online search - Some people say it is safe to use if you add perhaps 1 teaspoon of baking powder.  Some people say use it to make cake mix cookies, since the rising factor isn't as important.  Some people say throw it out. 

Thank you for any advice or past experience you can share as to whether I should use it or throw it out. 

False
  • Re: Expired Duncan Hines cake mix - Use or toss?

There's really nothing in it to spoil.  Except if you get those nasty little bugs in it.  I used to get them in any powdery type stuff when I lived in Florida.

The baking powder might not be active, but go ahead & fix a cake with it.  If it tastes off or doesn't rise to your expectations then toss the finished product.  But if the can or envelope of pineapple is bulged or puffed up...then toss it.

Cathy

False

I would use it - especially with the tip about baking powder.  That's the only problem I've ever had with an old cake is that it didn't rise.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I would look at the problem this way...........if I toss it, I am out the cost of the mix.  If I bake it, I am gambling that it may be a failure.  If I don't go ahead and bake it, I will never know.  I hate not knowing. 

False

What is the tip about baking powder, Sue?

I baked a chocolate cake mix that was almost expired. It didn't raise the way it should have.  I wondered at the time if I added a little baking powder , would it hurt? But I didn't. I just figured it would be no great loss to toss it. It tasted OK.

False

motherofdogs
    I did an online search - Some people say it is safe to use if you add perhaps 1 teaspoon of baking powder. 

BKBK  ~ Motherofdogs mentioned it in the original post.  

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I think I would throw it away since the best by date is almost a year.   Maybe if it had been a couple of months I would use it.

False

When I was growing up our next door neighbor used to make the highest cakes from a mix so I asked her once how she did it. She always added a teas. of baking powder so it isn't going to harm the finished product. I'd bake it adding the baking powder and see if it is o.k. Nothing lost but a few eggs.

False

Thanks to everyone for your helpful good advice on this one!  I made cake mix cookies using this mix, but I added one teaspoon of baking powder.  They turned out just fine - DH came back from his workout at the Y and ate at least a handful.  (I didn't tell him the mix had expired.  Sometimes it is better not to know.)

False

When I'm in doubt, I call the 800 # & they are helpful about answering any questions like that...

False