How to get stains out of an aluminum coffee percolator? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to get stains out of an aluminum coffee percolator?

Last post Mar 20, 2012 3:00 PM by rottensocks . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • How to get stains out of an aluminum coffee percolator?

Need to get out the old aluminum coffee percolators for the coffee drinkers descending on my house for Easter. They are stained inside and I can't remember what I used to clean them. Not too much info on google - guess not too many people use them anymore. Anyone have any helpful hints?

False

• Re: How to get stains out of an aluminum coffee percolator?

There is a product called Dip It that you use with "boiling" water, works great for me. I buy it at our local Hardware store. You may be able to get it at a grocery store.   I also use baking soda with the "boiling" water treatment sometimes.  

False

Dip-it is what grandpa the caterer used to clean the stains out of the synagogue's big coffee urns before Passover.  I rememeber being amazed that these seemingly clean coffee-makers turned out cleaning water the color of dark coffee on the first cleaning.  We ran two batched of Dip-it through each one.

But my husband uses Cafiza for the espresso machine.  He says it's gentler on the fittings.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

purseglove_MA_F_67

There is a product called Dip It that you use with "boiling" water, works great for me. I buy it at our local Hardware store. You may be able to get it at a grocery store.   I also use baking soda with the "boiling" water treatment sometimes.  

Yes

DW purchases it at the grocery store.

False

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll add Dip-it to my shopping list.

Meanwhile I boiled vinegar and water in the percolators first then
    scrubbed them with Brillo soap pads and Comet - did the trick, but lots
    and lots of elbow grease. I forgot what a nice shine Brillo soap pads give to aluminum...haven't used these percolators in years, usually I get a box of Folgers one cup (like tea bags only they're coffee) but with suddenly 5 adult coffee drinkers on board for 4 days and add one more for an over-nighter, that will get very expensive.

False