Help w/Internet Explorer | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help w/Internet Explorer

Last post Nov 16, 2012 10:46 PM by Lynn1018 . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Help w/Internet Explorer

I can get on line & visit various sites but having trouble w/email.  When I go to open messages, I get a pop-up box that tells me Internet Explorer isn't working & a line moves across trying to find out what's wrong.  Then I can close the box....also get a line at the bottom telling me that because of the problem, it's restarted the page (maybe refreshed)?  Then it opens a new email for me....since I don't want to send 1, I close that & then go around in circles for awhile....can't forward a message, can't reply to 1....can only send a new one.  Anyone got any suggestions?  I re-started the computer.....also unplugged the modem....that wasn't helpful.  DH had his detached, torn retina repaired yesterday (he's better at computers) but he's laying on his right side for the next few days, on drops & the house is dark....few, if any lights on, drapes & shades pulled down...so he's off the computer for awhile but I'd like to be able to use email without all the repeated attempts.

False
  • Re: Help w/Internet Explorer

Are you using Gmail?  I had the exact same problem, switched to Google Chrome (free to download from Google) and no more problem.

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

I wish I could be of help..but like Debbie said, I too use Google Chrome so not for sure what to tell you.  Have you tried updating IE??  Is there a newer version out that maybe you could try?

I hope you get it fixed!

False

Thanks for the input....sure it'll get straightened out eventually.   DH is usually in charge of the computer when it acts up....he worked w/computers more than I did & it much more detailed & calm about going thru picky steps & he talks the language.  When I call for tech help, they usually use terms that I'm not sure about.  I have the feeling that the techs probably got their jobs because they love solving computer problems....then they find themselves dealing w/folks like me that don't understand what they're talking about or can't answer their questions about what they're using....I get the basics right....then I'm in over my head.  The box just says IE has stopped working but it's sort of working....just not at all well.  I'm not using gmail....got sbcglobal as the provider.  Not too long ago, they switched to a new improved system...things haven't been great since then.

False

step 1: use IE to download ANY different browser.

step 2: delete IE and use that other browser.

I loved IE right up until I couldn't post pictures correctly here and had problems at other sites. Started using Mozilla and all the problems stopped, plus it would remember passwords and stuff for me unlike IE which would always ask 'want to remember the password to this site?' and I'd click yes but it would never remember...

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World

Adria_NyxxTX

step 1: use IE to download ANY different browser.

step 2: delete IE and use that other browser.

LOL!!  So true!  Every time we get a new computer..that's the first thing I do, once I get it up and running on the internet.  I wish it were mandatory for all IE users, to install a different browser, use it for 3 days..I bet 98% of those people would never use IE again.  People just don't  realize just how slow IE is, until they try out another browser.

False

I can not use I/E on this computer....don't know why....I will have my soninlaw look at it in afew months AND I have deleted and re-installed but it just will NOT work...keep getting an error message and a question asking if i want to send a report...which it will NOT DO as it's not working right....DUH...I have google chrome and mozilla and use google the most...

on my laptop...I can use I/E, but choose not to.....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I should of followed my own usual advise....check w/google.  I found some directions for when IE stops.  Good news, I'm not having problems w/the email program any more.  Bad news, can't find the tool bar...I'm sure I'll click around some more & find it....or lose some more stuff....we'll see.  Once DH's out of the position of keeping his head down on the right side....he'll probably look at it.  We'll see how much vision is restored from the reattachment of the retina.

False

I can't recall exactly why or how, but I accidentally installed Google Chrome several months back and I just never got around to uninstalling it.  I'm glad I didn't, there have been occasions IE won't work, or I get goofy messages, so I just switch over to GC and I'm a happy camper.

Hope things get worked out Lynn...and my only suggestion was going to be to Google it, (I can't count how many times it's helped me solve a computer problem) but you're a step ahead of me!

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World

LOL

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Still haven't found the tool bar & now I have some stranger showing up in a pop-up box that wants me to reject or accept them....just close the box but never had that before.  Every day it's a new quirk. 

False

Have you tried the ALT key?  the F11 key? Clicked anywhere along the area where the tool bar would normally be?  These are the only ways I know of to get it back.

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

The ALT key worked but only temporarily to begin with but I managed to lock it in after a few more clicks.  Great tip.  Thanks!

False