Gift Cards | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Gift Cards

Last post Nov 16, 2012 12:44 PM by foodguy . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • Re: Gift Cards

I had to reply to this --- last year my boss gave us gift cards from a high end store.  We were grateful and appreciative - most of us bought our ham or turkey with the gift card, but secretly wished that we would have received the gift card from Aldi's where our dollars would have stretched much much further.  When I mentioned it to him he got defensive - saying that people should be grateful.  I couldn't make him understand that yes people were grateful - just couldn't afford to buy things at the store he had given a gift certificate for.

False

Janetplanet and a couple others who understood my post. Thank you!

The family member was thankful they were able to even purchase much needed milk, and few other necessities with the gift certificate. For times are tough for this family.  But they passed by many other things for the prices were unreal.

The nice Save A Lot does carry a lot of the name brand items some of the other name brand retail grocery stores carry. But at a more reduced price.

BE THANKFUL!!! Count your BLESSINGS! Daily. Just remember there is someone else in need. If you buy a gift card for them, make certain it covers the cost of things they need at the store you purchase it at.

And Oh! Janetplanet... you made me think with your post... of a family member that worked for a business that would always hand out gift cards to their employees for high class restaurants. The cards were for holidays or Birthdays. The employees were thankful. But when they would go to the restuarant. The gift card never covered the bill. They always would have to figure out what to eat. Then they would  have to have extra money to cover the bill. Word must have spread to the owner of the business, for over time they started replacing the gift cards for restaurants with gas cards.

False

whiteflower_pa

What a nice thing to do, give a gift card to someone who is struggling.  Whether or not she can get "everything" for the meal is really not important.  And, if she feels she still doesn't want to do the big meal thing, she doesn't have to.

I find it unfortunate that a recipient of a gift would complain about it.

Agreed!

False
    Witty Whitney!

enjoynature

BE THANKFUL!!! Count your BLESSINGS! Daily. Just remember there is someone else in need. If you buy a gift card for them, make certain it covers the cost of things they need at the store you purchase it at.

But its the thought that counts.  If they didnt have this gift card what would they have done?  At least they can have something.  

False
    Witty Whitney!

retteacher

perhaps it was kindly meant, as in, "We'd like to help you with Thanksgiving expenses", rather than stipulating.

I, too, don't understand why anyone would be upset that the gift card would not cover the entire meal or that it's for a store where they don't normally shop. I think I'd be grateful for the opportunity to now have a more traditional dinner thanks to a friend's generosity, if that's what they want. 

Yes

I personally do not care for the Save A Lot in my area at all so perhaps the giver did not like that particular store either and gave a certificate to a store they found more appealing .

I don't feel it is a matter of people misunderstanding the post at all - the gist of it is pretty clear . As in every case people have their own opinions on the matter.

People purchasing gifts or gift certificates have a particular logic of their own governing their personal selection and one should be grateful they were thought of.

IMO A gift giver owns the right to give what they feel they wish to give or give nothing at all not what someone else might deem better. 

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Janetplanet
     When I mentioned it to him

You should not have done that. No,no,no.

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

whiteflower_pa

Janetplanet
     When I mentioned it to him

You should not have done that. No,no,no.

Gosh, Whiteflower, I have to agree with you-a gift should be accepted graciously. I would really be offended if someone critiqued my choice-especially of a gift card which gives the recipient a lot of choices anyhow.

False