How do you clean your fresh vegetables? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you clean your fresh vegetables?

Last post Jul 12, 2013 10:58 AM by pc66 . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • How do you clean your fresh vegetables?

Cyclospora has been found in 9 counties in Iowa.  This is not an illness that you want to contract.  Stomach "issues" can last up to 2 months!  On the news they keep reminding people to clean fresh fruits and vegetables thoroughly.  How do you clean your produce?

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — An intestinal illness that causes diarrhea lasting an average of nearly two months has been identified in nine Iowa counties.

The Iowa Department of Public Health says it has identified 22 cases of cyclospora infections.

People are infected by eating food or drinking water contaminated with infected human ***. Illness is caused by a parasite. Watery diarrhea, severe tiredness, and nausea are common symptoms and usually begin within a week.

Most of those now ill began to notice symptoms in June.

Linn County has the most cases with 10. Others are reported in Benton, Des Moines, Fayette, Mills, O'Brien, Polk, Van Buren, and Webster counties.

Other Midwest states, including Nebraska, also have cases.

Health officials recommend washing fresh fruits and vegetables thoroughly although no specific source has been identified yet.

False
  • Re: How do you clean your fresh vegetables?

Extremely important and Yes we wash everything!  Melons, squash, peppers, celery, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, even fruits with a little brush, I have a stiff brush and a soft one, others such as berries in cold water, lettuce, spinach in a sink full of water and then place it in the spinner.  We have never had a problem and hopefully we never will!  I'm amazed at people that I know that did not wash melons! ( had a conversation about this one day at the pool with friends and they do now!) When you slice through the outer skin the knife can contaminate the whole inside of the melon. 

Very important!  Good post Mary

Molly

False

Molly - I have a friend who fills the sink with water and dish soap and washes her fruit in dishwater.  I asked a home economist friend about this practice and she said "absolutely do NOT do that!"  She went on to say that unlike your dishes and silverware, fruit and vegetables have pores and you don't want the soapy water to penetrate the pores of the produce.  That can create a whole different set of digestive upsets.  

False

opps, I just ate my strawberries without even rinsing them.  Oh well, I think the rain did a good enough job.  The fact that I picked them myself from my mom's garden patch is okay with me.  They NEVER get sprayed, they are just natural, and are on shavings that came from our own business,  and oh what a yummy breakfast they make!

Otherwise I do rinse my fruits and veggies, or peel them, but I don't think running water is enough.  When I worked in the kitchen on a ship, our food came from whatever country we were at, and we always put them into a sink of very diluted bleach water for a little while, ten minutes(??) and then in fresh water.  One can never be too safe!

False

I wash with Vinegar & water.

Check this site out:  http://chicnsavvyreviews.net/vinegar-fruit-wash-keeps-fruit-fresher-and-stays-fresh-longer/20130405

False

char3bc
    The fact that I picked them myself from my mom's garden patch is okay with me.  They NEVER get sprayed, they are just natural, and are on shavings that came from our own business, 

char, Do you know that birds, animals, and insects can go and will go on your fruit and vegetables. That’s why I personally would wash my fruits and vegetables.

False

Put On A Happy Face

GmawMary
    People are infected by eating food or drinking water contaminated with infected human ***.

What can you do when you order food out? You don't  know if they washed their fruits and vegetables.
    I got real sick and think it was because of  something I ate in a restaurant. 
    Never know what these restaurants do to the food that they serve you

False

Put On A Happy Face

I give everything a good scrub, even if it will be peeled, and melons too.  I must confess...I do not wash berries...I think it ruins them.  If I am preparing them for company then I will and dry them on a paper towel first.  I do rinse strawberries...hmmm...go figure.

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast

GmawMary
    I have a friend who fills the sink with water and dish soap and washes her fruit in dishwater.  

Mary ~

Had to laugh ~ One evening I rushed home from work after a hectic day and was trying to get supper started and wash some dishes that were in the sink.  I ran a sink full of hot sudsy water and then get my corned beef out and was rinseing it off when it slipped out of my hands and plop into the hot soapy dish water!  I grabbed it out and tried to rinse it off as best I could before putting it on to cook.  After supper told Mr. Molly about the mishap and he said, " I thought it tasted funny!"  Truthfully I didn't think that it did, I should have just kept my mouth shut! LOL

Molly

False

You might find this website helpful on what to do and not to do with your produce. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09380.html

I have a relative that washes her vegetables with a commercial product she buys at the one grocery store near the garden produce recommended to wash your produce in. I can't remember the name of the product. The relative sprinkles it in the water and then soaks or rinses the produce. I just roll my eyes when I see the relative do this. Because I know that some of the vegetables are absorbing this commercial product. I know the relative also read somewhere to place so much peroxide in the water to wash your produce. Another roll the eyes. Because no one can explain to the relative that even it can be absorbed in porous foods.

I usually just rinse my produce really good with water. Even then I know I am not killing all the germs and pesticides. With once working for a food pantry as a director one learns fast how dirty foods can be, when you look at where the items came shipped in from all over the world. One has no idea what they truly are eating with added whatever in them from the grocery stores. Even not long ago, I read on how many pesticides are in different foods.

I try to grow most of my produce from my gardens. But even nature can leave a residue on foods. Have you ever gathered rain water? Imagine all the dirt from the air on your produce. Yes! Animals can leave their material waste on foods. But heck! I often wonder more what is in our rain water when you see all the smog of pollution from jets in the air, factories with their pollution, and who knows what all else is being drowned into our gardens. Nothing to me is safe. Though I am not afraid to eat the items from the gardens.

False

homesweethome

GmawMary
    People are infected by eating food or drinking water contaminated with infected human ***.

What can you do when you order food out? You don't  know if they washed their fruits and vegetables.

I hear some of the worst culprits are the lemons they put in your drink.  They are usually cut earlier in the day, and just sit in the open for the servers to grab a few at a time. 

False

I wash fruits and veggies in vinegar and water, but never thought about washing melons. I will do so from now on.

False

I haven't considered that also!  I think I would prefer vinegar and water over bleach but it is an interesting question.  I also wash my meat from the package.  Some people would ask why I do that.  I worked at a poultry plant and anything that fell on the dirty floor was picked up and placed in the tray, yuck!

False

I rinse all my vegetables and  fruits well, even bananas.  They may be very clean inside, but after you peel them you handle the fruit and get anything that is on the outside on it.  I rinse meat too.  I do not ask for lemon in my water in restaurants either, though sometimes it comes with it when you are seated.

False

RidingintheRain

I haven't considered that also!  I think I would prefer vinegar and water over bleach but it is an interesting question.  I also wash my meat from the package.  Some people would ask why I do that.  I worked at a poultry plant and anything that fell on the dirty floor was picked up and placed in the tray, yuck!

I'm pretty sure I read an FDA advisory saying not to wash poultry, because the germs on it will be killed when you cook it, but any which get splashed around while you're washing it might contaminate something else.

So I guess you should at least bleach the sink and counters afterwards, if you're going to wash raw chicken.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.