8/5 ~ Cookbook~aholics Challenge | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

8/5 ~ Cookbook~aholics Challenge

Last post Aug 12, 2013 12:53 AM by cast_iron_king . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • 8/5 ~ Cookbook~aholics Challenge

Are ya ready for a challenge???  We skipped last week so we need to play this week for sure!

This week pick two books at random.

Plug the names into the app linked here.

http://akidsheart.com/holidays/valntine/lovemenot.html 

When you click continue, the daisy pops up.  Click and pull the daisy petals to play "love me, love me not".

If the final result is love, use book one.  If it's love me not, use book two!

Do the same with two recipes, post the result and review here!

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

• Re: 8/5 ~ Cookbook~aholics Challenge

Too funny, Sue.

My random picks, by closing my eyes and putting an index finger on books from a shelf and nearby basket of cookbooks, were the McGregor Historical Society Cookbook and Taste of Home's Light & Tasty 2003. No love there. So L&T was the result.

I let the pages of the book fall open twice, the recipes were Spicy Shrimp Wraps and Warm Chicken Spinach Salad. This was a lovematch, so the shrimp wraps are in. Will be back later this week with review & pic.

Can't you feel all the love already???!!

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."

We've been running errands all day so when I got home I found the challenge waiting for me. I picked my two books - Texas Home Cooking and  Low Fat Country Cooking by TOH. The Low Fat Country Cooking won out. I picked out two recipes and will be back in a few days to tell you about the winner.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

I closed my eyes and chose 2 books.  They were The Good Goodies by Stan & Floss Dvorkin and Caramel Knowledge by Al Sicherman.  Caramel Knowledge won.  The 2 recipes that came up by flipping the book open 2 places were Bacon-Honey-Mustard Salad and and Creamed Mushrooms.  The salad won.  I was kind of hoping it would be the mushrooms, but will play by the rules.  Who knows, maybe I'll still make the mushrooms sometime. Will report back later on the salad.  Have fun everyone.                                          

False

Hello, everyone. I am back with my recipe. As you recall, I ended up with Low Fat Country Cooking, 1997,  page 50. My recipe turned out to be Orange Buttermilk Salad. My other choice was Easy Apricot Jam but it lost.

I made the recipe as written with no changes unless you count low fat products as changes. I did use low fat and sugar free products. This is a really simple recipe and oh, so yummy. It tastes like a Dreamsicle. (Remember those?) Let me set your mind at rest if you do not like buttermilk. You do not taste the  buttermilk. The orange flavor and whipped topping cover it up. It is super good. This will definitely become a regular at our house. I love anything that is easy to prepare and delicious!!! (and, you can't beat the nutrition information!)

Here is the recipe and my picture.

Orange Buttermilk Salad Recipe

Orange Buttermilk Salad Recipe Orange Buttermilk Salad Recipe photo by Taste of Home Rating 5

For a deliciously creamy treat, I make this gelatin salad. It is so easy to whip up and I always receive compliments.—Carol Van Sickle, Versailles, Kentucky

This recipe is:

Quick

Orange Buttermilk Salad Recip

• Prep: 20 min. + chilling
    • Yield: 12 Servings

20 20

Ingredients

Savings in fort worth, TX 76101  Change Zip

Directions

• In a saucepan, bring pineapple to a boil. Remove from the heat; add gelatin and stir to dissolve. Add buttermilk and mix well. Cool to room temperature. Fold in whipped topping. Pour into an 11-in. x 7-in. dish. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Cut into squares. Yield: 12 servings.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 each) equals 157 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 76 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.

Originally published as Orange Buttermilk Salad in Taste of Home February/March 1995, p19.

Enjoy!

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

Looks delicious Joan - beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing.

False

Becky

My recipe this week was for Bacon -Honey-Mustard Salad from Caramel Knowledge.  This interesting book is all food columns, with recipes, from the Minneapolis Star Tribune by Al Sicherman.

Bacon-Honey-Mustard-Salad

6 slices bacon

2 tsp.Dijon mustard

Salt & pepper

6 tbsp olive or vegetable oil

1 tbsp. honey

1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar

1 (12 oz.) bag fresh spinach

1/2 head lettuce

Cut the bacon into 1-inch pieces and fry until crisp.  Drain.  Set aside.

Meanwhile, combine mustard, salt and pepper.  Stir in the oil a little at a time. until all is absorbed.  Stir in the honey and the vinegar.

Wash the spinach and remove the tough stems.  Tear the spinach and the lettuce and put in the serving bowl. 

Add he drained bacon to the dressing and warm it gently, stirring.  Pour over the greens and toss.

Serves 6 to 8.

We enjoyed this salad.  It reminds me a little of a recipe I got from my mother-in-law, but with less fat and calories. I used only lettuce, since that was what I had on hand,  I think it would be very good with the spinach/lettuce combination.

MM, the salad sounds interesting.  I wondered about the buttermilk, but I'll take your word for it and probably give it a try.  It would be so simple to make.

False

MarineMom, I love that Orange Buttermilk Salad!  It's one of my favorites!  I usually make it with cottage cheese, because, I don't know, I just put cottage cheese in everything, I guess.

justlittleme, I love a good wilted salad.  I've never thought to use Dijon in the dressing, so I'll be trying this soon.

Thanks for the recipes, ladies!

I broke the chain and did not make a salad, lol!

My cookbook collection is limited, so I wanted my choice to be between two I haven't used before in the Challenge.  Those were "Cast Iron Cooking," an electronic book put out by the Danmill Corporation in 2001 to promote a now-defunct website.  One of my first Kitchen Chat friends sent it to me some time ago.  That was Poll of the Purple Ilk.  I miss her.  The second book was Mark Hansen's "Best of the Black Pot" published in 2012.  That's the one that won.

This is actually a pretty good book, an excellent resource in terms of technique and competitions and so forth, but I wouldn't really recommend it to a beginner looking for tried and true recipes, because as a cookbook, it leaves a bit to be desired.  The title is derived from Hansen's blog, marksblackpot.com, and I can only assume that the "Best of" means his favorites posts from the blog.  There is very little in it that doesn't come directly from the blog.  And most often the recipes aren't even recipes, but rather, just an overview of what he did on a particular day.  He has a real hard time giving measurements.  Spicing consists of "liberal shakes" of things, when there are actual directions for spicing at all.  Mostly he just lists what spices he used and you can just guess at how much.  It is very unevenly edited (if it was indeed edited at all).  One recipe appears twice, and it's not even the recipe he intended to make.  He speaks often of lighting his coals in a charcoal chimney, and then halfway through the book says he never mastered the charcoal chimney and doesn't use it to start his coals.  One recipe for a fruit-filled cake gives the recipe for the filling only, not the cake or how to put it together.  Like I say, it's a fun read about his experiences and cooking technique, but definitely NOT for someone looking for something tried and true.

However, that being said, there still are recipes in the book that I want to try and the winner was something called "Chicken and Apple Curry-osity," a recipe he developed himself and actually calls for actual measurements.  Of course there's a drawback.  He says he just cooked it till it was done.  Oh, well, thanks a lot.   Not even an estimate of how long it took?   Anyway, I cleaned up the recipe, and since it took 40 minutes for me, I'm saying it takes 40 minutes.

2 teaspoons cooking oil
    1 medium onion, chopped or diced
    4-5 cloves garlic, minced
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 lbs. chicken breast, cubed
    1 medium to large apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 cup apple juice concentrate
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 cup milk
    1 cup uncooked rice
    salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a 12 inch dutch oven over a full bed of coals.  Saute onion, garlic and celery until onion is translucent and just beginning to carmelize, about 4 minutes.  Add chicken and saute until nicely browned, about 5 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and cook with 7 coals under the oven and 17 coals on the lid for 40 minutes.  Rotate the pot a quarter turn to the right and the lid a quarter turn to the left every 15 minutes to avoid hot spots. 

Fairly straightforward, I suppose.  I assembled the ingredients and headed off to the great outdoors (my back patio).

As with every time (it sure seems) that I decide to cook outside, the weather looks down and goes, "Uh HUH!!  He's doing it again!  Let's get him!!!"  So, of course, as soon as the oven was heated, it started raining.

And I said, "So the hell what?  I'm doing this anyway.  You can bet Lewis and Clark didn't have a choice."

You see, last year I had a big meal outdoors planned, and when it started raining I cursed god and nature and ants and fog and whatever.  After that it didn't rain for the rest of the summer.  I learned my lesson. 

So I forged on.

Everything all mixed together and ready to cook!

With the wind and rain, generally I would have used more coals to maintain the dutch oven temperature, but I am a wise man, yes I am, and had fresh new coals ready to go at the outset, so I got heat for the whole cooking time.

I just lowered the grill lid enough to shelter the pot from the rain.  Worked perfectly.

I expected the cooking time to be longer, so I was surprised to find it done at 40 minutes, but there's no complaining about having to come in out of the rain.

The finished dish.

So, the bottom line is, this recipe probably couldn't have gone wrong for me, because I love curry.  Dogger was the real test, and he loved it!  In the future I will eliminate the salt and add soy sauce, 'cause that's a flavor that was missing in the dish, and I generally "salt" curry dishes with soy sauce.  I will also add more than just one apple (I used a Golden Delicious, btw).  But those are just personal preferences, not a failing in the recipe.  It will definitely be making a repeat performance in my back yard!

Cheers!

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

MarineMom, I made your salad.  You're right about the other flavors masking the buttermilk, but it gives it a nice tang. We enjoyed it.  I like CIK's suggestion of adding cottage cheese.  I think that would make it even better.

CIk,I enjoyed your post and comments, as usual.

False

justlittleme - loved your recipe, as a big fan of both mustard and spinach, thought it sounded delicious

CIK - great photos and play-by-play, the finished product looks great!

Okay, now for my contribution. As I posted earlier, my recipe was Spicy Shrimp Wraps from Taste of Home's Light and Tasty Annual Recipes - 2003. It is also on this site:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Spicy-Shrimp-Wraps

Spicy Shrimp Wraps

Spicy Shrimp Wraps
    Here's a quick and easy recipe from Frankie Allen Mann of Warrior, Alabama that's deliciously big on seafood flavor and the sunny sweetness of mango. Coated with tasty taco seasoning, the cooked shrimp are tucked inside a tortilla wrap, along with coleslaw and dressed-up bottled salsa.
    6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.

Ingredients

• 1 cup salsa
    • 1 medium ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
    • 1 tablespoon ketchup
    • 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    • 6 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
    • 1-1/2 cups coleslaw mix
    • 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream

Directions

• In a small bowl, combine the salsa, mango and ketchup; set aside. In
    • a large resealable plastic bag, combine taco seasoning and oil; add
    • shrimp. Seal bag and shake to coat.
    • In a nonstick skillet or wok, cook shrimp over medium-high heat for
    • 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Top tortillas with coleslaw
    • mix, salsa mixture and shrimp. Fold bottom third of tortilla up over
    • filling; fold sides over. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
    ****************************************************************************************
    The combination of mango and salsa was interesting, and it ended up being very tasty. I used my own home-canned salsa, which is on the mild side, so if you like more heat, you might want to use medium or hot salsa. I couldn't find reduced-sodium taco seasoning, so just used regular, and instead of bagged slaw mix, I bought a head of cabbage and sliced it myself. We don't use much sour cream anymore, so substituted Greek yogurt that I had on hand.
    The recipe went together pretty quickly. I wasn't sure if the taco seasoning was going to be a little overpowering on the shrimp, but it actually had a really great flavor, and looked pretty tasty while it was cooking, too:

I sliced a cooked chicken breast and shook it with the seasoning mixture for someone that doesn't care for shrimp, so I think chicken would be a great variation for this recipe too.
    We had them for supper tonight, and everyone gave a thumbs up; even the "no-shrimp" person agreed, after being convinced to try some.

False

Becky

Becky, you know Sue is going to give me so much grief over that recipe. 

Thanks for adding about the chicken.  I may try it with chicken!  LOL!

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."