8/19 ~ Cookbook-aholics Challenge | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

8/19 ~ Cookbook-aholics Challenge

Last post Aug 26, 2013 4:23 PM by jennst . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • 8/19 ~ Cookbook-aholics Challenge

Ready to play again????  

This time I want you to find the newest cookbook to your collection.

From that book, find a recipe that uses an ingredient or tool you haven't used before.

Maybe you've eaten peaches plain but never used them in a recipe.....maybe it's a spice you've never tried like curry....a specific cut of meat you haven't cooked before.

Maybe you've never used a mixer to make yeast dough or you've never zested a lemon.

Whatever the ingredient, give it a shot...try a new book, try a new recipe!

Come tell us about it here.

Good luck!

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

• Re: 8/19 ~ Cookbook-aholics Challenge
    I just returned home from the store where I purchased TOS special edition HALLOWEEN cook book! Guess I will be trying something out of there. I have never made cream puffs before. On page 76 they show 'Cream Puff Monsters". This would flex my culinary muscle! I wouldn't be afraid if it was a simple cookie recipe but the heat stove top thing scares me a little! ********* I know my family would love because when I have purchased the frozen cream puffs from the grocery store the box is gone within minutes! Wish me luck! ^^^^^^^^^^ Julie in Maryland ^^^^^^^^
    False

Julie creampuffs are the easiest thing to make!  Do not be afraid.  You're just boiling water.  Once you have your dough formed in the pan, transfer that mixture to your stand mixer if you have one and use that to cool the dough down a bit and beat in the eggs.  

Trust me on this!  Easy!

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I haven't gotten a new book for a while, so Beyond Mitch's, put out by The Association of Graduates at the Air Force Academy, seemed to be the last one.  I have used this book in a previous challenge.  I found a recipe for Loretta's Chicken Boobies that used Uncle Ben/s long grain and wild rice.  Not having used this before, I bought a box that seemed to have what I needed.  On opening the box I discovered  a seasoning packet and not enough of the rice.  (I guess I should have read more on the box.)  So I added over 1/4 cup of plain long grain rice to get the right amount.  It's in the oven now.  We'll see what happens.

Then, I was  looking at a booklet of recipes from the Bowling Green OH Sentinel  Tribune from 2011, so this was newer.  Having an abundance of zucchini, I decided to also make a zucchini pie, having never used zucchini in a sweet pie.  So we'll know in a few hours how we feel about both recipes.

False
    Thanks for the vote of encouragement!! I needed it! Made them and they turned out pretty good I think. Followed ToH recipe exactly (didn't decorate with monster frosting though). But I did it. --- I love these forums because they help motivate me to try a new thing or preparation. I'm skilled at wedding cakes and all confections but still have many culinary challenges in front of me!! ---- Julie in Maryland
    False

mamaknows, will you share your recipe? 

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

Looking forward to playing again and looking forward to hearing about everyone's recipes. 

False

My recipes first----

Loretta's Chicken Boobies (from Beyond Mitch's )

4 whole chicken breasts, boned

1 (10 oz.) can cream of chicken soup

1 (10 oz) can cream of celery soup

1 (10 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1/4 cup sherry or white wine

3 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated

1/4 cup almonds, sliced

1 1/4 cups Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice

Preheat oven to 275 degrees

Mix soups and heat; add butter & sherry

Mix half of soup mixture with rice and put in bottom of 9 x 13 casserole dish.

Top with chicken breasts and cover with rest of soup mixture.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and almonds.

Bake, uncovered for 2 1/2 hours.

This was delicious, but a little dry, so I will probably add some more liquid next time.  But maybe it was because I didn't have the full amount of Uncle Ben's and used some regular long grain rice to finish the measure, as I mentioned in my other post.  Next time I'll also make sure I have the full amount of Uncle Ben's.

The other recipe I tried---

Zucchini Pie (from Bowling Green Ohio Sentinel Tribune booklet)

1 cup zucchini (seeds removed,peeled, cooked, drained and mashed

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 1/2 Tbsp. melted butter or margarine

1 cup Carnation evaporated milk

2 Tbsp heaping, flour

1 tsp vanilla

Blend all in blender, pour into 8 inch  unbaked pie shell.  Sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon.  Bake 425 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

I satisfied my curiosity.  This was good, but nothing to get excited about.

False

Well, I'm back with my challenge recipe. We had gone to Half Price Books a couple of weeks ago and I always check out the clearance area first. What luck! I found The Best of Country Cooking for 2002 for only a dollar. I snatched it up. So I started going through it and was getting worried because I didn't see any ingredients or kitchen utensils that were new to me. Finally, on page 96 I hit pay dirt. There was a recipe for Mango Nut Bread. Of course I have eaten mangoes but I don't remember cooking with them. So this, then, is my recipe.

I made it today and followed the recipe almost exactly. It calls for two 8x4-inch loaf pans which I don't have so I poured the whole thing in a 9 1/2 x5 1/2-inch pan. This meant I had to cook it a little longer. I think I added about 15-20 minutes before it was done so if you do this, start testing at 55 minutes and then every 5 minutes. Then you need to let it cool at least 15 minutes. I took it out of the pan at 10 minutes and part of it stuck. I did put it back together. I used two mangoes and let them sit on my counter for a couple of days until they were slightly soft enough when I applied slight pressure. Kind of like when a peach is ripe. I used two cups and ate the rest and boy were they good. Also, I used macadamia nuts.

Well, let me tell you, this is a five star recipe, hands down. Oh my goodness, is it good. So easy to prepare and absolutely delicious. I will be making this again and again.

Here then is the recipe and my pictures.

Mango Nut Bread Recipe

Mango Nut Bread Recipe Mango Nut Bread Recipe photo by Taste of Home Rating 5

We live on the slopes of Haleakala, where carrots, potatoes, cabbage, bananas, litchis and mangoes are grown. This is my favorite recipe using mangoes.

Mango Nut Bread Recipe

• Prep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
    • Yield: 32 Servings

10 50 60

Ingredients

Savings in fort worth, TX 76101  Change Zip

Directions

• In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, beat eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in mangoes, dates and nuts (batter will be stiff).
    • Spoon into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 slice) equals 128 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.

Originally published as Mango Nut Bread in Country June/July 2000, p51

I hope you all enjoy this. It is delicious.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

Thanks Joan.  This looks and sounds delicious!

Printed it off for future use.  We love mangoes.

Nancy

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

Cast iron King, (BTW, love the name!) The puffs are from the ToH speicle Halloween collection in stores now. Below is a copy of the recipe. I should go give it a review while I'm thinking of it! I did not do the 'monster' decorating because too early for Halloween! ---------------- Cream Puff Monsters Cute-as-can-be are these "costumed" cream puffs created by field editor Susan Seymour of Valatie, New York. 24 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling Ingredients 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons sugar 2 tablespoons baking cocoa 1 cup water 1/2 cup butter, cubed 4 eggs 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix 2 cups cold milk Yellow, red, blue and green food coloring 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting Sprinkles, small candies and slivered almonds Directions Combine flour, sugar and cocoa; set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil; reduce heat to low. Add flour mixture all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat until smooth. Cover baking sheets with foil; grease foil. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls at least 2 in. apart onto baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Lift foil and transfer to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in each puff to allow steam to escape; cool. Beat pudding mix and milk according to package directions; chill. When puffs are cool; split and remove soft dough from inside. Spoon pudding into puffs; replace tops. Following food coloring package directions,
    False

Chicken Boobies and Zucchini Pie!  My--my!  I don't think you could actually say that at the church supper...!  LOL!  But they sound good!  Something I could do in a camp oven for sure. 

MarineMom, welcome home!  I can honestly say I've never heard of mango bread, so that's intriguing!  We get mangoes at the ghettomart about once a decade, so I'm hanging on to this recipe for the next time around.

Mamaknows, thanks for posting the recipe.  That's got me hungry for a rich breakfast!  LOL!  But how does it end?  Or was that food coloring part the "monster decorating?" 

My newest cookbook is "Miss Vickie's Real Food Real Fast," the second book of pressure cooker recipes from Miss Vickie. It's only been out a couple months, but already I've but putting it through its paces and loving every minute of it!

Because most of Miss Vickie's recipes are about using what you probably already have on hand, I thought I was going to be really hard pressed to find one using and ingredient I had never used in cooking before.  But there on pages 284-285 was something intriguing that combined 4 of my great loves--pasta, seafood, pressure cooking and BOOZE!!  How could that fail?  Whoo-hooo!

The recipe is "Vodka Shrimp."  It's actually a combination recipe--the sauce recipe is separate from the shrimp recipe which utilizes the vodka sauce.  The vodka sauce recipe is called "Creamy Vodka Sauce with Prosciutto," and is a sauce that can be used on any type of pasta.  I've heard of vodka sauce before, but I've never had it and since vodka is DEFINITELY something I've never cooked with before, Dogger and I gave it a go.

THE SAUCE:

2 tablespoons butter
    1 shallot, minced
    1 small onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
    10 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 cup vodka
    1 cup chicken broth
    2 tablespoons chopped capers
    4 ounces prosciutto, chopped
    2 pounds Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano, or any hard Italian grating cheese
    1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)

THE SHRIMP:

1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp (about 23 to the pound)
    4 tablespoons butter
    3 cloves garlic, smashed
    Pinch of ground cloves

Cooked fettuccine noodles

Heat 2 tablespoons butter in the pressure cooker over medium high heat and cook the shallot and onion until soft, about 4 minutes.  Add the garlic, basil, parsley, red pepper flakes, vodka and 1/2 cup of the broth, and continue cooking, uncovered, until the liquid is reduced by half, about 8 minutes.  In the following order, add the capers, prosciutto, chopped tomatoes, and salt and pepper, then spread the tomato paste on top.  Do not stir.  Lock the lid in place.  Bring to 15psi over high heat and immediately reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting to stabilize and maintain that pressure.  Cook for 6 minutes.  Remove from heat and use the natural release method before opening lid.  Depending on your personal preference, you can either leave the sauce chunky or use a handheld blender to puree it to a smooth consistency.  Stir in the cream and cheese, simmering over low heat, uncovered, stirring often until the sauce is smooth and creamy and heated through.  Taste and adjust seasonings, adding sugar if desired to mellow out the tartness of the tomatoes.

If necessary, peel and clean the shrimp, running a small knife down the back to reveal the dark vein and pulling it out.  Rinse well and pat dry.  Heat the 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat and add the garlic, shrimp and a good dash of ground cloves.  Saute the shrimp, turning occasionally, until they turn pink, about 5 minutes.  Discard the garlic.  Add the shrimp and butter to the Creamy Vodka Sauce and stir gently to blend.  Serve over cooked fettuccine. 

Mise en place!   Chef Anne would be so proud!

PROBLEMS WITH THIS RECIPE:

Astute readers will note that there are two very glaring errors with this recipe! 

1.  The recipe calls for 1 cup of broth, but the directions only have you utilizing 1/2 of it.  This was not really a problem for me, being, as I am, a seasoned pressure cooker cook.  I ascertained that the remaining broth should be added to the cooker after the reduction stage.  Of course, I got ahead of myself and by that point had already combined ALL of the broth with ALL of the vodka, so I just went ahead with the recipe as if it called for the full cup of broth in the first place.  No worries.  It worked out well.

2.  The directions completely fail to include the all-important freshness and compatibility tests, however, this was not really a problem for me, being, as I am, a seasoned alcoholic.  Any good cook knows his recipes are only as good as his ingredients, so it was imperative to apply the freshness test to the vodka.  This is a rather simple test.  Just a pour a shot and taste it.  If you're unsure with the first taste, go ahead and pour a second shot and re-test.  I am happy to report that my vodka was very fresh!

Freshness test.  And yes, that IS a shot glass stolen from the first class section of a Continental Airlines flight.

With the freshness test successful, it was then imperative that I confirm the vodka's compatibility with other ingredients.  This is also a rather simple test.  Just make a vodka martini and sample it.  If it doesn't taste right the first time, make another.  That generally tastes righter than the first one, and then you can proceed with confidence.

Compatibility test.  The vodka was IMMENSELY compatible.  Probably cuz it's from Sweden, and Sweden goes with everything.

WHAT WE DID DIFFERENTLY:

Okay, I believe capers have their place, but it's not in pasta sauce.  So we didn't use them.  I feel the same way about sugar in pasta sauce, so we didn't use that either.  As my grandfather would say, that's why god created basil in the first place, and this recipe certainly has enough basil to mellow out the tomatoes as it is.  I've never been a fan of really chunky pasta sauces, but I kind of felt we should give it some kind of try.  What's more, we don't actually own an immersion blender (yeah, I know, kick us right out of 2013), so we elected a happy medium, and Dogger crushed things up a bit with a vegetable masher, so we didn't have a puree, and we didn't have chunks, but ended up with something of a hybrid.  I kind of questioned the cloves, but not enough to eliminate them, because cloves are Dogger's favorite spice, and according to him, we don't utilize them near enough.  So I gave a very good healthy dash of cloves to the shrimp, because I love him and he's bought me a new range, and I figure it's the least I could do in return!

"Cloven shrimp."  That's got to be the biggest affront to biblical dietary restrictions EVER!

THE BOTTOM LINE: 

Fantastic!!!  I can't really describe this.  With the alcohol cooked out, the vodka gives an amazing flavor to the sauce, really complex with a kind of electric sweetness that is not overwhelming and not in any way like vodka.  Like I said, I can't describe it.  You just have to try it.  We will definitely be making this again, with shrimp or without.  It's an amazing sauce! 

The finished dish.  Cheers!!!

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

justlittleme - your recipes sounded great, thanks for sharing

mama - glad you tackled the cream puffs, I've had those recipes before that seem intimidating, but actually aren't that bad. Good recipe.

Joan - photos are amazing and the bread sounds and looks delish, thanks for the pics & review

CIK - what can I say except loved and laughed every minute of it

Here's my contribution for the week. My latest cookbook is Gourmet Comfort that I got from a friend recently.

I chose the recipe Spaghetti and Swiss Chard with Garlic Chips for a couple of reasons. One, although I have cooked with garlic countless times, I'd never made the "chips" called for in this recipe, and it intrigued me. And two, since the recipe called for spaghetti, I got the chance to use spelt noodles, which I'd also never done. Plus, an added bonus was being able to use some of the wonderful swiss chard I've been getting from my aunt and uncle's garden. I've been loving it in scrambled eggs lately, so jumped at the chance to find another use for it. And for me, ANYTHING with kalamata olives and/or feta cheese in it has got to be good.

Here is the recipe:

I have to admit that I fudged the recipe a little, since when I was hunting down the ingredients, the local grocery store didn't have currants. I got looking at the apples sitting on my counter (again from my aunt & uncle), and thought hmmm.....  So I peeled and chunked 2 of the apples (they are small) and added them with the chard leaves, since they didn't need to cook very long.

The result? An amazing pasta dish, with great flavor and texture. I served it along with rib eye steak and a tossed green salad for supper.  

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."

What great recipes this week. I just love to see what everyone is cooking on the challenge. My to try file is growing larger and larger. Thanks, everyone, for joining in.
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

Sorry for the late posting, a little hectic with back to school.  I did pick a book and make a recipe for the challenge.

My cookbook was Taste of Home Cooking School Cookbook (which I was very lucky to receive as a prize on an earlier thread).  I had never made a baked pancake before, so the recipe I picked was "High-Rise Apple

Here's a picture and the recipe:

Taste of Home Logo

High-Rise Apple Pancake

High-Rise Apple Pancake

2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/4 cup 2% milk
    • 1 egg, lightly beaten
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
    • 3 cups chopped peeled apples
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

• In a small bowl, whisk the flour, milk, egg, 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
    • and salt until smooth. Place 1-1/2 teaspoons butter in a 7-in. pie
    • plate; place in a 400° oven for 2-3 minutes or until melted.
    • Pour batter into pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are
    • lightly browned.
    • Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the remaining butter over medium heat.
    • Saute the apples, cinnamon and remaining sugar until apples are
    • tender. Spoon into pancake. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
    Nutrition Facts: 1/2 pancake equals 390 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 147 mg cholesterol, 339 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.

The only change I made was I used a mixture of pears and apples (because that's what I had).

It was very easyand I will make it again, but not too often, as you can see by the calorie count it's a treat, not an everyday breakfast!

I really enjoyed everyone's recipes this week.  I have mango on my shopping list because MM's bread looked so delicious!
    CIK - I really enjoyed the Vodka Freshness test -- thanks for the helpful info!! Wink
    False