1/27 ~ Cookbookaholic's Challenge! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

1/27 ~ Cookbookaholic's Challenge!

Last post Feb 03, 2014 10:04 PM by KristineChayes . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • 1/27 ~ Cookbookaholic's Challenge!

I let y'all off easy last week, back to business this week!

I want you to pick 3 cookbooks you haven't cooked from in a while (or ever), lay them in front of you and play Eenie meanie miny mo to decide which book is the book of the week.

Now that you have your book, open it at random and pick a recipe within the 10 page range of where you opened the book.

So if the book opens randomly on page 30, you pick between page 25 and 35.

Come tell us what book and recipe you chose (or chose you as the case may be).  You have one week to complete the challenge.

May the fork be with you!

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

• Re: 1/27 ~ Cookbookaholic's Challenge!

ok  I will  play.  It is the hospital cook book.  We are making pasties.  This includes lard.  

False
    Jan
    My book of the week is "Taste of Greece" and the recipe I chose is Semolina and Nut Halva, which I will make this week and report back on :)
    False
    Kristine

I posted yesterday, but I don't know what happened to it, so I'll try again..

The book that was chosen for me is Caramel Knowledge by Al Sicherman.  It's an interesting book with humorous little writings before, and mixed into the instructions of recipes. The recipe I chose is for Popovers.  I'll be making them maybe tomorrow.

False

I picked three of my newest cookbooks that I received for Christmas. Then I did an eenie, meenie, minie, moe with my three cookbooks in a row. I ended up with TOH Recipes Across America. The other two cookbooks were one from Southern Living, and a local cookbook. I'll be back with a review of my recipe. I hope to fix it tonight.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

I'm back to tell you about my recipe. I ended up with the TOH Recipes Across America cookbook which my sweet DH gave me for Christmas. I opened the book to page 325 and found the recipe I wanted to prepare on page 329. It is Fiesta Smothered Chicken.

The minute I read the recipe I knew this would be a winner and boy was I right. DH informed me that I could definitely keep this one. I followed the recipe exactly although I did used canned mushrooms since that was what I had on hand. Let me set your mind at ease about the jalapeno. I know jalapenos turn a lot of folks off but I had some whole fresh jalapenos in the freezer that I keep for recipes like this. First, put a baggie on each hand. Cut the jalapeno lengthwise and use your fingers to scrape out the seeds and ribs.This will leave just a plain pepper. When cooked it is not hot and gives a great flavor. It is the seeds and ribs that make it hot. Here are the mushrooms, onions, and jalapenos cooking.

This chicken is absolutely wonderful. I cannot tell you how good the flavor was. I had a lot of veggies left over so I mixed them with my green beans and, oh, Wow! was that good. You can see it in the photo below. The first photo is the entire chicken but cut in half. The second photo is the chicken plated. DH and I share a chicken breast.

And, last but not least, here is the recipe:

Fiesta Smothered Chicken Recipe

Topped with ooey-gooey shredded cheese, this tender skillet chicken from Teres Jones of Ashdown, Arkansas looks great and tastes even better. You'll get a kick out of its jalapeno zip.
    TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
    MAKES: 2 servings

Ingredients

•   3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    •   1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    •   1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    •  2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
    •  1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    •  1/4 cup chopped onion
    •  4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
    •   6 teaspoons butter, divided
    •   1/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
    •  1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Savings in north richland hills, TX 76180  Change Zip

Nutritional Facts

1 serving (prepared with reduced-fat butter and reduced-fat cheddar cheese) equals 314 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 118 mg cholesterol, 488 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.

Directions

1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; set aside.
    2. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the mushrooms, onion and jalapeno in 2 teaspoons butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.
    3. Drain and discard marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken in remaining butter over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Spoon vegetable mixture over each chicken breast; sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
    Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
    Originally published as Fiesta Smothered Chicken in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p28
    This recipe is a winner at least in our household and I promise we will be having this again. I hope you like it, too.
    Joan
    False

Oh heck yeah!  MarineMom, that looks amazing!  Someday let me tell you of my adventure in obtaining that cookbook!  LOL!  Right now, I just want to drool over your pictures!!!

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

Joan, that looks and sounds fantastic, and thanks for the tips on the jalepeno.

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's recipe this week. They all sound good. CIK, I am most anxious to hear your story. I'm sure you'll agree that whatever happened it was well worth it for the cookbook. It is a good one!
    False

I'm back with my recipe for Popovers from Caramel Knowledge. We had them last night, and they were delicious.  I'm sure my dh will want them again soon.  I'm copying the instructions exactly as they are in the book and he refers go this recipe also appearing earlier in the book.  I made them in custard cups and they do have to be greased very heavily.  A couple of mine stuck a little.

Popovers

1 cup sifted flour

3 eggs

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons melted butter

Put the sifted flour in a large bowl.  In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs lightly.  Add the milk to the eggs and mix well.  Add the liquid gradually to the flour, beating with a mixer or a wire whisk.  Beat in the melted butter, just long enough to smooth out the batter (30 seconds or so).

I don't know how to continue with these directions without making the same mistake I made the last time.  I really found that almost any method produced popovers.  And I tried it lots of ways.  I even slammed the oven door on them.  But I won't say that you can't make them fail.  I will say that it isn't easy to make them fail. 

Maybe it will be better if I don't give you any choices.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Heavily grease 9 to 12 (I'll give you that much choice, anyway) custard cups or a muffin tin with 9 to 12 cups. Grease all across the top of the tin, too.  Pour the batter into the cups (and put a little water in any unused cups in the muffin  tin).

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes if you're making 12 popovers, or 50 to 55 minutes if the same amount of batter is used to make 9 popovers, which will be what larger and need longer  to bake.

False

MarineMom, I forgot to say, that chicken looks delicious.  Dh is not much for peppers of any kind, but I think I might be able to get away with them in this recipe.

False

Thanks, JLM. Your popovers sound delicious. I'm saving the recipe.

False

"Caramel Knowledge."  Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Well, I eenie meenie mynied three books I haven't yet used and landed on Taste of Home Breakfast, which was actually a gift from the Cookbook-aholic's Challenge last year (thanks again, Sue!).

I knew that would make Dogger happy, because anything that is called "breakfast" generally makes him happy, even if I serve it for dinner.  I gave him the job of selecting the recipe, which was a good thing because at the time I wasn't feeling well, and no food looked very appealing to me.  But by the end of the week I was feeling better and quite happy he chose "Oven Denver Omelet."

See, after a week of not finding anything appetizing, I was looking forward to some good rich French cooking, and nothing says France like an omelet, and when I think of France, of course I think of Denver!

OVEN DENVER OMELET

8 eggs
    1/2 cup half-and-half cream
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
    1 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
    1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion

In a large bowl, whisk eggs and cream. Stir in the cheese, ham, green pepper and onion. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish.

Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.

This recipe comes from Ellen Bower of Taneytown, Maryland, and I do not know Ellen, but she seems to be a fine person.  A little too fine, maybe.  I think she likes that word "finely" a little bit too much, but that's fine.    

This recipe is no-nonsense, and there isn't a lot to say about the experience.  Dogger served as my sous, and to keep with a theme, he finely cracked open the eggs and finely poured the Half & Half, while I chopped the ham and vegetables, but not really too finely because I kinda like to have bigger chunks.  So, I guess you could say I only half-finely-chopped them, which I guess is another way of saying I chopped them in a mediocre manner.  And that turned out just fine.

This did take about 40 minutes to cook, instead of the recommended 25, but that was just fine, too.  We weren't in a big hurry.  The finished dish was quite gorgeously browned across the top and light and fluffy inside, although I'm hesitant to use that description, you know, because I'm not sure food should actually be fluffy, but sometimes it is, and that's just fine.

We didn't have any hashbrowns or other finely breakfasty accompaniment to go with this, but that was fine.  This turned out to be a fine meal in itself.  I think Dogger snuck in some extra cheese, and that was just fine because I also snuck in some extra ham.  I recommend sneaking in whatever you like.  Dogger wants to do it with sausage next time, although I have reminded him that with sausage it would no longer be a Denver Omelet and therefore no longer French, but I think he's fine with that.  This is a great recipe that you can adapt to whatever fillings you want, and not everything has to be French.

Cheers!

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

That looks really good.  Some salsa on top would "top" it off for me.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

CIK, do you think this would work in a muffin tin also?  Looks really good!  I, like Dogger, love breakfast --- anywhere anytime.

False

Kindness is love with its work clothes on.