2/24 ~ Cookbook~aholics Challenge! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

2/24 ~ Cookbook~aholics Challenge!

Last post Mar 03, 2014 1:19 PM by cast_iron_king . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • Re: 2/24 ~ Cookbook~aholics Challenge!

This week is off to a good start!  pippin, it is nice to see some new faces, too!

pippin, that cake sounds great!  I will definitely be trying that! 
    Ann, my god, that's a lot of poatoes!  Jill would be proud, I think!
    gardenerbowler and deb, it's nice to see you here!  Thanks for the recipes!  And I agree.  That stroganoff needs some sour cream!  

Well, our recipe for this challenge was kind of a no-brainer.  I did go to the freezer, and what was taking up a lot of room in the freezer was this:

That's my chicken kit, a gallon bag filled with chicken bones and vegetable scraps.  Whenever we have chicken, the bones go into the bag and get frozen.  I have kits like this for beef and ham bones, and even bags for shrimp tails & skins and one for crab & lobster shells as well.

Why do I have all these bags of bones?  Well, I'll tell you.  Stock.  There is just nothing like homemade stock.  It's almost effortless and once you've had your own homemade, you'll never go back to the store-bought stuff again.  Except in extreme emergencies.

I started making my own stock a few years ago when I got this:

Yes, you can make delicious, nutritious stock right in the pressure cooker, and what would normally take hours of cooking is done in about 45 minutes.  Miss Vickie has a recipe for chicken stock, but I rarely use it anymore.  Most of what's in the cookbook urges you to be varying and creative with your ingredients.    My stock is always the product of whatever I have on hand, so each time I make it, it's going to be different.  So, although this might not actually be a "new-to-me" recipe, the end result is always new to me. 

There is, of course, a very strange internet debate over the difference between stock and broth, with about as many different opinions as there are soup recipes in the world.  They range from the ridiculous ("Broth is stock that has been salted.") to the sublime ("Just look at the label on the carton.")   Miss Vickie tells us that broth is the result of cooking just meat to extract the flavor, while stock is the result of cooking mostly bones and vegetables and herbs to create a hearty, protein-rich, gelatinous suspension.  That one makes the most sense to me.

Since each stock that comes out of my pressure cooker is different depending on what goes into it, I'll just tell what I did this time around.  I'll post the basic recipe when I'm done.

My chicken kit contained bones from various sources, collected over the past couple months.  Like I said, any time we have chicken, the bones go into the freezer.  I know there were bones in there from some baked thighs I made, a carcass from a broiled whole chicken, bones from a pair of Rock Cornish hens that were cooked in my camp oven, and even bones from a local fried chicken hut.  There were also scraps from onions, asparagus, carrots and celery in the bag.  So all of that went into the pressure cooker.  To that, I added some extra carrots, celery leaves, leek stalks and green leaf lettuce.

My bouquet garnii consisted of bay leaves, garlic, thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and peppercorns, tied up in cheesecloth. 

The final ingredient is just water to cover the whole mess (being careful not to exceed the 2/3 limit of the pressure cooker), and onto the stove it went.

Well, hello right back at you!  I love having a friendly stove top!

I brought this up to a boil before I put the lid on.  That bit of extra time gave the celery and lettuce a chance to wilt before cooking and reduced the risk of clogging the vent pipe - not that I actually thought there was a risk, I just like to be safe.  Once this was boiling, I attached the lid and the pressure regulator, brought the cooker up to pressure and reduced the heat to maintain the pressure for 30 minutes. 

We're having some spittin' good fun now!

After thirty minutes cooking, I removed the pressure cooker from the heat and allowed the pressure to drop naturally.  The stock was drained through a colander with a double layer of cheesecloth.  I did not take a picture of that because nobody really wants to see that.

Here is the resulting stock...

The stock went into the refrigerator overnight.  As it chills, any fat will rise to surface and be easy to remove.  Chilling also sets the collagens and proteins in the stock, and it's this point where you get to see how good you did.  According to Miss Vickie, a good stock should be the consistency of egg whites, but if your stock resembles loose-set jello, you've got the REALLY good stuff. 

Well, did you think I would settle for anything less than the REALLY good stuff? 

Oh, I can't wait to use this!

My finished stock has tremendous flavor!  It is very reminiscent of KFC gravy, and let's face it, everybody loves that stuff.  This is going to be a great stock for soups or gravies. 

I freeze the stock in ziplocs, in 2-cup measures.  Lay them flat to freeze and they end up taking very little space. 

So, that's my adventure this week.  Not really funny, just really good food. 

Here is Miss Vickie's recipe.  This will result in a "white" stock (the bones are not precooked) as opposed to mine, which is a "brown" stock (the bones are pe-cooked):

3 pounds chicken parts, wings, backs and necks
    Bouquet garnii consisting of 3 bay laves, 10 peppercorns and 2 cloves crushed garlic, tied up in a sqare of cheesecloth.
    2 onions, quartered
    2 stalks of celery with leaves, cut into 3 or 4 pieces
    1/2 bunch fresh parsley or cilantro
    1 carrot, cut into 3 or 4 pieces

Rinse the chicken and place the pieces on a rack in the pressure cooker.  Add the bouquet garnii and the rest of the ingredients.  Cover with water, lock the lid in place and bring the pressure cooker up to 15 psi over high ("Hi!") heat.  Immediately reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting to maintain that pressure and cook for 20 minutes.  Remove from the heat and use the cold water release to depressurize the cooker.  Carefully open the lid.  Strain the stock through a sieve or a cheesecloth-line colander.  Discard the solid material.  Refrigerate the stock overnight and then remove the layer of fat that has hardened on top.  Portion out the stock in 2-cup measurements into freezer containers or plastic bags.  Freeze flat, so they're easier to store.  

Happy eatins!

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

That looks wonderful CIK.  I sometimes Tongue Tied remember to do this trick...maybe you already do it.  Place some platic wrap directly on top of the stock that you are going to refrigerate overnight making sure it goes from edge to edge.  Refrigerate and, in the morning, pull it off.  The fat sticks to the plastic wrap (most of it anyway!).

I just got a new pressure cooker and I'm enjoying using it. 

I'll post my Scotch Potatoes today.  Came out pretty tasty.

False

AnnStar

CIK, I love your challenge this week. I broke down and bought Miss Vickie's cookbook and just got it last week. I have been trying to read it cover to cover. I have been wanting to get my pressure cooker out and use it more.  You are right, she has a great cookbook.

Love your stock information.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

I made these “Scotch Potatoes” for the Cook’s Corner appetizer challenge and Kitchen Chat’s pantry overstock challenge.  I had more than 10 cans of whole potatoes.   I went onto TOH community and found this posted recipe.

Scotch Potatoes (this was posted by M.Wolverine 8/6/2004)

1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 lb. ground breakfast sausage
    2 cans canned whole potatoes
    1 med. onion, minced
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    garlic powder
    salt & pepper to taste
    seasoned bread crumbs
    In a large mixing bowl, mix ground beef, sausage, onion & cayenne pepper together. Using 1/4 to 1/3 cup of meat in each, form meat mixture into as many thin 6" patties as you can. Place a potato in the center of each patty. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt & pepper. Form meat into a ball around the potatoes. Roll each one in bread crumbs. Bake in 375° oven on a broiling pan or a cooling rack on a cookie sheet for 30-45 minutes or until meat is cooked through.
    Cut each ball in half and serve with horseradish mustard.

I had planned on making a lamb/pork meatloaf this week so I used that combo to make the meat mixture that would encase the potatoes.

I opened six cans of potatoes and used the small and medium ones.  Some cans held only three potatoes…two very large and one tiny.  I contemplated cutting the bigger ones into pieces, but decided to set those aside to make home fries for a brunch on Sunday.  I got 20 small and medium potatoes to use.  I rinsed, drained, and patted them dry and roasted them in seasoned chili oil for about 40 minutes.

Here is my recipe based on the original:

Preheat oven to 350*

1 lb. ground lamb

1 lb. ground pork

½ cup Goya Sazon Liquido (takes the place of mire poix vegetables)

1 egg, slightly beaten

1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs

1 tsp. each ground cumin seed, garlic powder, chili powder, ground fennel

½ teaspoon Penzey’s Black & Red spice

½ teaspoon sea salt

Crushed stuffing crumbs (Pepperidge Farms regular)

In a large mixing bowl, mix all.

Take a small amount of the meat mixture; flatten it in your palm to form a patty.  Place a cooled, roasted potato in the center and enclose it with the meat mixture.  Pat and roll it to seal.  Roll in stuffing crumbs and place on a wire rack set into a rimmed cookie sheet.   Repeat adjusting the size of the patty to match the size of the potato.

Bake 35 minutes for the smaller potatoes and 45 minutes for the larger ones.  Remove and drain on paper towels. 

When cool enough to handle, cut the smaller ones in half and the larger ones into quarters.  Serve with condiments of choice…horseradish mustard, regular Dijon, Sriracha sauce, etc.

These are very good. I gave my mom the smaller ones to use as an appetizer at her card party.  We had a few of the larger ones with roasted asparagus and a salad for dinner. 

The cumin, garlic, and chili powder flavors the meat mixture nicely, and the Goya seasoning is very convenient to use.  I think roasting the canned potatoes improved their texture and taste.  (I never serve them right out of the can, anyway…always fry or roast them.) In future, I would roast ”baby” potatoes from the produce section to make uniform “bites”.  I would make these again.  These would be good for pot luck or a buffet dish.  If you like these, try using hard boiled medium eggs to make Scotch Eggs. 

This is a picture of one small one cut in half and a larger one cut into quarters.  We will have some with some broiled asparagus and some cauliflower Caesar salad.

CIK - I ordered Miss Vickie's book....was tempted to get both, but restrained myself!  Do you have the second one?

False

AnnStar

Oh man, those potatoes look good!  When is your mother's party?  I may have to crash!

annrms
    Place some platic wrap directly on top of the stock that you are going to refrigerate overnight making sure it goes from edge to edge.  Refrigerate and, in the morning, pull it off.  The fat sticks to the plastic wrap (most of it anyway!).

I had never heard this, but I'm definitely going to try it!  Anything to get the fat off more easily!

MarineMom_texas
    I broke down and bought Miss Vickie's cookbook and just got it last week. I have been trying to read it cover to cover.

It is a most excellent cookbook.  I think I need to get a new one, because I have put mine through its paces!  It automatically opens to my favorite recipes now.

annrms
    CIK - I ordered Miss Vickie's book....was tempted to get both, but restrained myself!  Do you have the second one?

Yes, I have both of them.  The first one is the one loaded with all the information--like 100 pages of it before the recipes begin!  But it's very informative.  The second one is more strictly recipes, and it has the ravioli dish that she developed just for me! 

False

Finally got my act together in time and am able to join in this week.  I've missed playing the past few weeks, but have enjoyed reading about everyone's recipes. 

My use up items were several packs of ramen noodles, canned water chestnuts, bean sprouts, and bamboo shoots. In my freezer I have a few "ends" of pork loins (when I buy a whole loin that I slice into chops there's usually an end piece that's not big enough to count as a chop, so I put it in the freezer and use it in recipes when I want to add a little pork - like fried rice) so I thought it would be a good idea to use them too.

I went to Taste of Home.com and searched under "ramen" and this is the recipe I found and decided to try -Pork & Ramen Stir-Fry Recipe

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork---ramen-stir-fry

I did tweak it a little.  The recipe called for 1 cup of broccoli, but I had a stir-fry broccoli  mixture (with carrots, peppers, onions), so I used that and increased the amount (I like veggies).  I didn't have the coleslaw mix, so I substituted bok choy and the canned bean sprouts and water chestnuts I wanted to use up. Otherwise, I stuck to the recipe as written.  I served it with a squirt of Siracha on top just to heat it up a little.  Everyone gave it a thumbs up and I will make it again.  It was tasty, quick, easy, and inexpensive

Pork & Ramen Stir-Fry Recipe

Ingredients

•   1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
    •  2 tablespoons ketchup
    •   2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    •   2 teaspoons sugar
    •   1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    •   3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
    •   1 pound boneless pork loin chops, cut into 1/2-inch strips
    •  1 cup fresh broccoli florets
    •  4 cups coleslaw mix
    •   1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained
    •   4 garlic cloves, minced
    •   2 packages (3 ounces each) ramen noodles
    • Directions

1. In a small bowl, whisk the first five ingredients until blended. In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add pork; stir-fry 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
      2. In same pan, stir-fry broccoli in remaining oil 3 minutes. Add coleslaw mix, bamboo shoots and garlic; stir-fry 3-4 minutes longer or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Stir in soy sauce mixture and pork; heat through.
      3. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions, discarding or saving seasoning packets for another use. Drain noodles; add to pork mixture and toss to combine. Yield: 4 servings.
      Originally published as Pork & Ramen Stir-Fry in Simple & Delicious August/September 2013, p29

False

Six Can Mexican Chicken Soup

15 oz. can whole kernal corn, drained  14.5 oz. can chicken broth  1 can cream of chicken soup  10 oz. can chunk chicken, drained and flaked  15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and draines  10 oz. can rotel tomatoes  1 t. chili powder  1/2 t. onion powder  1/2 t. dried cilantro or can use fresh

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Simmer 30 minutes. Good served  topped with cheese or sour cream and with tortilla or corn chips.

Delicious, and quick and it used up several of my cans in the pantry!

False

Field editor since 1995.

Big Smile

False

Hello, everyone. I am back with my recipe. Going through my pantry, such as it is, I found a can of cherry pie filling hiding behind some other canned goods. I had totally forgotten about this and never did use it nor remember what recipe it was for when I bought it. Time to use it up. I did a quick search and found a five star recipe that sounded not only easy but delicious, too.

It is Cherry Cheesecake by TOH. I followed the recipe with one minor change. I used only the one 8-oz. package of cream cheese and did not add the extra 3 ounces. I did use a low fat graham cracker crust and low fat cream cheese as well as fat free whipped topping. Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. The cherry pie filling was on the heavy side and was almost too much for the pie. You can see in the picture what I mean. But the pie is delicious. The cherries offset the sweetness of the pie and it is delicious. Here is a picture of a slice of pie and the recipe.

Cherry Cheesecake Recipe

When I worked full-time and needed a quick dessert to take to a potluck or a friend's home, this pie was always the answer. You can substitute a graham cracker crust or use another type of fruit pie filling for a change of pace. Even the chilling time is flexible if you're in a big hurry. -Mary Smith Bradenton, Florida
    TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling
    MAKES: 6-8 servings

Ingredients

•  2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    •   1 cup confectioners' sugar
    •   1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
    •   1 shortbread or graham cracker crust (8 or 9 inches)
    •   1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling

Savings in north richland hills, TX 76180  Change Zip

Nutritional Facts

1 serving (1 slice) equals 464 calories, 24 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.

Directions

1. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping; spoon into crust. Top with pie filling. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
    Originally published as Cherry Cheesecake in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p27
    I hope you enjoy this yummy pie.
    Joan
    Edited to add: I'm back with a postscript to this recipe. This pie gets better the longer it sits. Who knew that cherry pie was not DH's favorite pie. I thought he liked it. Well, he does now. He told me that cherry pie was never his favorite but he loved this pie. As you can see from the picture below, this pie firms up the longer it sits in the fridge. I would recommend making it a day ahead of time so it could sit overnight. Look at the difference in pictures.  I can tell that we will have this pie again.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

First, I love the hint about the plastic wrap to get the fat off broth.  I'll be trying that.

I finally found a pasta recipe to try in Beyond Mitch's from the US. Air Force Academy. I've used this book before for a challenge. The recipe is for

Osla Macaroni Bake.

1 lb. lean ground beef

1.4 cup butter

2 T. butter

1/4 cup flour

1 C. sliced mushrooms

2 1/2 C milk

1 medium onion, chopped

2 C. Jarlsberg cheese

1/2 C. chopped red pepper

1 16 oz. can tomatoes

1 t. salt

1 8 oz.can tomato sauce

1/2  t.pepper

3 C cooked rotelle pasta

Directions

In skillet, brown beef in 1/4 cup butter

Add mushrooms, onion, red pepper, salt and pepper.

Cook, until tender: stir often.  Set aside.

In saucepan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter.

Add flour and cook, stirring, several minutes.

Remove from heat.

Gradually blend in milk;cook, stirring, until thickened and smooth.

Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese.

Blend tomatoes into meat mixture.

Blend pasta into sauce.

Alternate layers of pasta and meat mixtures in buttered 2 quart dish.

Top with tomato sauce.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake for 35 minutes.Top with remaining cheese.  Bake 5 minutes longer.

This was delicious!  I basically followed the recipe, using what I had on hand.  As always, I left out the red pepper.  I used cheddar cheese.  Medium shells was part of my large supply of pasta, so that was what I used.  Half a jar of mushrooms was in the freezer, so they went in, instead of fresh.  I'm sure fresh would be much better.

In spite of all my substitutions, it was delicious and we will have it again.

False

A pantry challenge, what a great idea. The responses this week are really interesting. I especially like the stock kit post – very nicely done, CIK.

My recipe this week comes from The Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking by Charlotte Turgeon, 1985 edition. This is a very good cookbook, large, well organized, beautifully illustrated. It’s a good source for inspiration, and many of the recipes I use all the time come from this cookbook. 

I chose a bread pudding recipe, to use up some of the hot dog rolls in my freezer which were left over from a picnic last summer. It was simple to prepare, and I had everything I needed to make it.

Butterscotch bread pudding

3 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    2 cups milk
    2 eggs
    pinch of salt
    2 cups stale bread cubes (about 1/2" cubes)

Melt the butter in a pan. Add sugar; heat until well blended.
    Dissolve soda in milk; add gradually to sugar mixture. Stir until well blended; set aside to cool.
    Beat eggs lightly. Add salt and cooled milk-and-sugar mixture.
    Put bread cubes into greased baking dish; pour custard over. Bake in preheated 350° oven about 45 minutes. Yield 6 servings. 

This turned out well. The pudding barely fits into a 1-quart casserole dish, and it puffs up during baking. I would recommend putting foil on a lower rack to catch spills.

My husband said it was good (but not as good as TOH’s lemon bread pudding which is his favorite). This is not anything fancy, just a nice homey dessert, not extremely sweet. I will probably make this again.

I enjoyed reading about everyone’s recipes this week. It’s nice to see new posters too. Have a good week! 

False

I just wanted to give a hand to EVERYONE who participated in this week's challenge!  Every recipe this week would be right up Dogger's alley, so I have some nice stuff to be doing in the coming weeks!  LOL!

jennst--that stir fry is very similar to ine I make, except that I actually stir fry the noodles as well.  It gives them really good flavor! 

gunslinger, I love your approach!  You soup sounds great, and what a great way to get rid of a lot of cans!

MarineMom, as usual you have my mouth watering.  But I think saw-whet's bread pudding may be in contention for the most mouth-wateringest.  I'm gonna have to try both of these recipes before I make a decision!  LOL

jlm, I love how you say "in spite of my substitutions..."  Sometimes those substitutions are exactly what makes the recipe!  LOL! 

Ann - I made the Scotch potatoes for dinner last night, altering the recipe to things I had on hand.  They came out great.  I wasn't really prepared for just how many this recipe would make, so we've got leftovers to enjoy all over again.  The stuffing crumbs were a great touch!

Also, I made a pot of beef stock yesterday and followed your tip about the plastic wrap.  It didn't get everything, but, yes, most of the fat came right off with the wrap!  Thank you for that great suggestion!

Thanks again, everyone!  I'm looking forward to the next challenge with renewed look-forwardization!

False