Old chocolate chips do NOT melt | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Old chocolate chips do NOT melt

Last post Dec 21, 2004 6:55 AM by two4tea_MN . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Old chocolate chips do NOT melt
    Have you had this problem? I made a candy/cookie this weekend and used some chocolate chips that I had in the cupboard. I put the chips on the top of the hot bars and the chips would not melt. Talked to DD and she had the same problem with hers.
    What causes this? Also, there are no dates on the packages so how do you tell if they are old or not?

Gail
    False
  • RE: Old chocolate chips do NOT melt
    I don't know how you tell how old they are, but it would be nice to know, wouldn't it? Also, there is a huge difference between real chocolate and "baking chips".
    False
    i've never had problems melting old chocolate unless it's gotten hot or close to melting and re-hardened previously and it usually has a white-like covering on the outside.
    False
    I do know that Hershey's chips do not melt, while Ghirardelli and Nestles chips do. I haven't known age of chips to be a factor.
    False
    hershey's doesn't melt. i didn't know that. I know that the spartan (cheap version here) won't burn. but i don't like the taste as well.
    False
    Yes I have had old chips that melted but they set before I could spread them.
    False
    Well I guess that the best thing to do would be to try to melt the chips BEFORE puting them on the bars. That way if they don't melt then I haven't ruined the whole pan of bars.
    Thanks all!!!

Gail
    False