Can I give DD cough medicine while she is taking Amoxicillin? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I give DD cough medicine while she is taking Amoxicillin?

Last post Jan 18, 2005 9:28 AM by Catmint_WV_49F . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Can I give DD cough medicine while she is taking Amoxicillin?
    She is coughing right now and I think she needs some. I have left a message for the dr. to call me. I know she is in pain when she coughs.
    False
  • RE: Can I give DD cough medicine while she is taking Amoxicillin?
    i have with both DS and DD... what kind do you have.
    False
    There shouldn't be a problem...amoxicillin doesn't react with any cough or pain meds that I can think of...
    False
    The only kind she can take is Pediatric Robitussin. Any other kind gives her the shakes and makes her even more miserable. DS is taking Dimatapp DM but it is not working for him. I think we may be back at the Dr. this afternoon.
    False
    Yes
    False
    Amoxicillin is an antibiotic...entirely different medication. Yes - she can take the cough medicine.
    False
    Call the ER they will be able to tell you.
    False
    My sister is a pediatric nurse. Should consult your Dr. before you give anything that might be contrary. Lisa
    False
    She probably can, but why not phone the drugstore and ask to speak to the pharmacist. That is their job and they often know a lot more about the drugs that are prescribed than the doctor who prescribes them.
    False
    I'd go with advice from the pro's--they know your children, their medical histories, and other concerns best.

However, wanted to ask--have you tried Delsym? It's far more effective than any other cough med. If they can take it, they'll get much more relief. It's OTC, and you only take it every 12 hours--and it tastes like orange
    False
    Why don't you check with your doctor? You have to be the biggest idiot on the earth to ask people on a kitchen bulleten board!
    False
    The dr. called back last night and said it is fine. To give her some.
    False
    Delsym is the same med as Robitussin, tastes better.

Sour Grapes, who gave you a lemon to suck on??? I pulled up your name and you are as sour as they come! Take the "no" off your screen name, it'll fit you better.
    False
    Delsym? I have never heard of it? He actually said to give DD some Dimetapp DM. It really helped her last night. She was able to sleep.
    False
    Hi Jenbon!

When I have a question like this, I ALWAYS call the pharmacist. They sometimes know more than the doctors about these things. They don't mind--it's their jobs.

Taffy
    False