Will Mushrooms hurt Dogs if eaten? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Will Mushrooms hurt Dogs if eaten?

Last post Feb 04, 2005 8:56 AM by Rose301__PA . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Will Mushrooms hurt Dogs if eaten?
    DH brought home a pizza from work that had been left out. It has mushrooms on it. Will it hurt the dogs?
    False

catmint

• RE: Will Mushrooms hurt Dogs if eaten?
    I just looked it up and all I could find was "wild mushrooms", which can cause death. I don't know if those are specifically the kind that are poisonous to humans too, but I wouldn't risk it.

Just keep an eye on them!
    False
    My dogs eat mushrooms on anything. As long as they are cooked, no problem. Don't give them raw ones, though.
    False
    I feed my dog all of the mushrooms that I pick off of my food. I don't like them, she loves them.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

My dogs love mushrooms...it's never hurt them.
    False
    Dogs will eat things that are not good for them. I don't know about mushrooms, but we nEVER ave our dogs people food. It is better to ask a Veterenarian, they are only a phone call away.
    Grelo
    False
    Grelo is right...just because a dog likes something doesn't mean it's good for them. Mine are dying for a bite of chocolate brownies, but one ounce can kill a 30 lb. dog, according to the website I found that said wild mushrooms were dangerous for dogs.
    False
    Got this off the internet about mushrooms and dogs.

Although store bought mushrooms are perfectly safe for your dog to eat it isn't a particularly good idea to have her develop a taste for them. If she has free run of the backyard or is allowed to roam off leash in a park or field a taste for mushrooms can be dangerous. Dogs with a mushroom fixation will be on lookout for these treats. If they sniff out poisonous mushrooms and eat them effects range from disagreeable to deadly.

Some food not good for dogs are:
    chocolate
    onion and garlic
    macadamia nuts
    broccoli in large amounts
    raisins
    grapes
    False
    The only thing from this list that my dog would even take a second sniff at is the chocolate, and he has eaten more than an ounce of chocolate before, and no harm done. I'm not saying that it's ok for them to eat it, I'm just saying it didn't hurt my dog (he's 20 lbs). The chocolate eating was an accident, I didn't give it to him. LOL I'm afraid my dog wouldn't eat any of the other things listed there...unless there were macadamia nuts IN the chocolate, then he might eat them. ;)
    False
    hmm, didn't know about the broccoli. My Mom had an Elkhound, he loved broccoli out of the garden.

She just had to put him to sleep a few weeks ago. He was about 14.
    False

catmint

OMG. I now feel awful (LOL) My Dalmatian loves green grapes. She only gets them (one or two) as a treat, but she practically dances when she knows she's earned one. Yeah, Grelo's right, dogs shouldn't get people food, but if they accidently ingest something that isn't harmful, or if they get an OCCASIONAL treat, don't lose any sleep over it. BTW, my dogs are 15 and 16, so apparently they've done ok so far.
    False
    Geez I just read that turkey skin is harmful to a dog. I need to find a list of all the foods that are harmful to dogs.
    False