Gas-Producing Bean List | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Gas-Producing Bean List

Last post Feb 04, 2005 12:34 PM by Hadaplan . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Gas-Producing Bean List
    Here's a list of beans sorted according to their gas-producing qualities. the beans on the top of the list product the most gas.

1. Soybeans
    2. Pink beans
    3. Black turtle beans
    4. Pinto beans
    5. Small white beans
    6. Great northern
    7. Baby lima beans
    8. Garbanzo beans
    9. Large lima beans
    10. Black-eyed peas
    11. Anasazi beans
    False
  • RE: Gas-Producing Bean List
    Good thing that the beans we're having with dinner are not on that list!
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I'm still not eating lima beans!
    False
    Graingirl, good to see you again :)

I love Beans.... Oh oh....
    False

"There is nothing to fear except the persistent refusal to find out the truth, the persistent refusal to analyze the causes of happenings." Dorothy Thompson, American Journalist and Author (1894-1961)

"There are three ingredients to the good life: learning, earning and yearning." Christopher Morley, American journalist (1890-1957).

And just when the Doctor siad to use SOY MILK.....does that count? If so, I am in real big trouble ;-)
    False
    luvslife nc - I don't know if soy milk contributes to gassiness or not. I'm not a fan of soy and avoid it in foods - about as many people are allergic to it as are allergic to milk and almost anything soy is increadably over-processed. I avoid as many processed foods as is reasonable.

Have you ever tried nut milks (a good alternative to cow's milk)? You can make your own easily and inexpensively compared to store bought (check Sam's Club for bags of almonds). Google for recipes or look for the book, "Not Milk...Nut Milks!" by Candia Lea Cole. Almonds are naturally loaded with calcium.
    False
    It's NOT the beans that produce gas but the skins. They are insoluble and very hard or impossible to digest.
    Soy milk and Tofu are perfectly fine. Soy milk is just the liquid squeezed out of cooked beans.
    Okara is made out of the skins and possible indestible but good roughage.
    Tempeh might be a bit gassier than Tofu since the bens are not ground very fine.
    Anasazi beans have very thin skins and are easy to digest. To avoid gas from any beans: eat a small amount EVERY day and your body will get used to it, then increase the amount.
    If it were not so, all Mexicans (especially the poor who eat beans every day) would most likely be airborne getting rid of all that hot air but I have not noticed any of them flying by, so there must be sometrhing to eating a small amount of beans every day.
    To me, Large dry Limas and Favas would be the worse offenders because of the extremely thick and hard skin, same as soy beans, only much larger.
    I pop cooked garbanzos out of their skin, as easy as blanching almonds, same with limas. We se mostly anasazi beans because they areso tender and easy to digest.
    Grelo
    False
    Are Great Northern beans and Navy Beans pretty much the same? I would say Navy Beans are rather lethal and I do not see them on this list.
    False
    Thanks for this list.
    Grelo you had me laughing with the fly by Mexicans! LOL
    False
    This reminds me of a song.....

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
    The more you eat the more you.......
    False
    Wonder what kind of beans they were eating in that campfire scene in the movie Blazing Saddles? Probably pintos.
    False