Why Didn't Charles Marry Camilla in the First Place? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why Didn't Charles Marry Camilla in the First Place?

Last post Feb 15, 2005 9:28 AM by Catmint_WV_49F . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Why Didn't Charles Marry Camilla in the First Place?
    I just finished reading some posts a few pages back on Charles and Camilla's upcoming marriage. Granted, I am no royal expert or anything, but why didn't Charles marry Camilla when they were in their 20's or 30's? Also, do you think Wills and Harry are REALLY happy about Camilla marrying their father. They surely know how miserable she made their mother. And finally, am I the only one who thinks Harry looks like one of Diana's former boyfriends?
    Just wondering.

1st Teacher
    False
  • RE: Why Didn't Charles Marry Camilla in the First Place?
    I'm no expert either, but from what I know about Charles and Camilla, he went off to serve in the British military and while he was gone, she married Bowles. Couldn't wait for Charles I guess. Then Charles was persuaded to take a nice non-controversial type wife and didn't have the backbone to say no to the parents and married Diana. Gutless wonder that IMHO I think he is, he married a woman he did not love. He made her life miserable and now is free to marry his mistress and first love. Well, isn't that special? They truly deserve each other. As for the boys, I think they want their father to be happy. Their mother is gone.
    False
    I think Charles was too busy being a "batchelor" when he was first with Camilla. Then Camilla got tired of that, started dating someone else and got married.
    False
    The thing is Diana wasn't a total loser. I think if he wanted it to work he could of.

Camilla was a divorce women and during charles younger I think the Queen looked down upon him marrying her for that reason.
    False
    When I saw this my first reaction was much the same as yours 1st Teacher. I've heard the rumors about Harry but everyone pretty much denies it...we'll never know.

Charles is such a weiner. I'm still convinced he married Diana so mummy could have an heir to the throne.
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

Charles had to marry a virgin. They apparently even had a Dr. check~~~how is THAT for modern times???????

Camilla wasn't one, nor perhaps enough of a 'lady' for the position of Queen. She married while he was serving in the military. Probably a bit of an arranged thing?

donnac
    False
    I think Harry is going to wind up being more handsome than William.

I think the queen originally looked down on Camilla, as she wasn't the "Image" of a future queen.
    False

Rebecca

I think Harry looks just like that other man ( I can't remember his name, was it Maj. Hewitt?)

I think it is so shameful that Diana had no marriage essentially. She was just a brood mare.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I hope he IS skipped in the line of assention. Why should he have everything and some people trampled for it.
    False
    I would bet that paternity tests have been done on both Wills and Harry.
    False
    You know I have 5 children and not a one of them looks like their father! As a matter of fact they do not resemble his side of the family at all. No milkman either! Whether Charles is married to Camilla now and the relationship he had with Diana at the time of their marriage and during their marriage has become fodder for all the pseudo-experts. Does everyone forget it takes two to make a marriage and it takes two to break a marriage. I'm sure what transpired between Charles and Diana will continue to make authors rich and feed the appetite of gossip lovers everywhere, but there is not one person who can claim they know exactly what went on in their marriage. The past belongs in the past, to continue to speculate on the parentage of the two boys just does them an injustice. Sorry, JMHO PG
    False
    Royalty has to marry royalty and Diana was picked for her blood lines. I doubt that neither she or Charles had much of a say as it was arranged for them.

I always liked Charles and I certainly don't care for that Bowles person even if he does love her. I loved Diana from the start and I think she got the worst end of that bargain.

I think Harry looks just like that man who might be his real father. Charles seems to treat both sons alike but we only know what the press lets us know. That lifestyle is one I can only imagine and I can't see what purpose the "Queen" really serves, just that it's the way it always has been over there.
    False
    Why didn't Charles marry Camilla in the first place? Well have you seen her lol? Just kidding, I've no idea.

Are the boys really that happy considering that Camilla caused their mother such grief? While I'm sure they want their father to be happy, I can't imagine them being thrilled that his bride-to-be is the "other woman".

I don't believe for a minute that Charles is Harry's father. Harry is the spit and image of ? Hewitt.

JMHO but I think the monarchy has had its day and it's time to hang it up.
    False
    I think the whole thing is just sad all the way around..the existence of the Royal Family is so entrenched in archaic laws and practises that it just doesn't make a lot of sense for the time we live in now.

To live in a fishbowl like they do must be very taxing on any relationships they forge in their lives. Add in there the fact that they can only marry certain people who meet certain standards with the end result being the production of heirs and maintaining the blood line it's like raising livestock for Pete's sake!!

From an outsider's point of view it looks like Diana was the chosen one for a few reasons..she was a virgin, she had "no" past, and I think they figured she wasn't too bright so she wouldn't cause too much trouble..WRONG!!! Just because you don't make the highest grades in school doesn't mean you aren't smart and she proved that more than once.

I give her and Sarah Ferguson a lot of credit. They tried to liven up the stuffy royals and inject some fun into their world..however, it backfired for both of them. There's something to be said when 3 out of 4 children in the family have marriages that ended in divorce..Edward and Sophie haven't been married long enough so the jury is still out on that one.

Heather
    False
    I always loved Diana, I think she was the only "real" person in the whole group of the royals. And she wanted her sons to be able to be real and not stuffy, fake and phony. I was so sad for them when she died. I also think Harry looks just like Hewitt. And William looks just like Diana.

It was reported on our news the other day when the story broke that the boys were happy for their dad, but behind Camilla's back Harry refers to her as "the goat". I roared when I heard that. Sooo fitting!!!!!!! It's disgusting how she and Charles carried on an affair while he was married to Diana. I think Diana really loved him, and wanted her marriage to work, but she soon found out it was a loveless marriage. He was in love w/ Camilla. He used Diana. I think he's a cad to have done what he did. She outclassed him beyond measure. And the public loved her and tolerated him! That must have not set well with him! Oh well, ...

Have you heard the taped conversations between Charles and Camilla??? Pretty racy!!!!!!! Who knew two old goats could have such passion for each other, ROFL....
    False
    I feel sorry for Diana and for Camilla's first husband. BOth were married to people who wanted someone else.
    Dianna had misgivings before she married Charles. I believe that's the time she found the bracelet with the 2 C's for CHarles/Camilla. But Diana's sister foolishly told her, "Too late Dutch, your picture is already on the tea towels."
    Camilla wasn't a beauy when she was younger but she wasn't bad. As other posters said, she got tired of waiting for Charles so she married Bowles. Charles was just too pokey about getting married and as someone said, I don't think he had much backbone.
    In some pictures, Harry looks like Diana's brother. I don't think Diana startd seeing someone else until after Harry's birth but we'll never know. Her life was certainly filled with heartache. She was used by Charles and the royals and the saddest thing is she is gone. She might have had a chance at true happiness with someone and also seeing her children grow up.
    One of the reasons Diana was deemed a fit match for Charles was her pure state. It would not be too great for the future king to marry someone who had been around or had a past. Can one imagine the tabloids' headlines ??? Future queen's past lovers speak out. With Diana being a virgin, there was no worry. ANd truthfully, how many virgins weere available for Charles. After age 22 or so they are scarce.

False