When did Easter become so commercialized? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

When did Easter become so commercialized?

Last post Mar 17, 2012 9:54 AM by cast_iron_king . 35 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 123
  • When did Easter become so commercialized?
    Co-workers are talking about buying bicycles, play stations, ipods, etc, as gifts for their kids for Easter. When did this start happening? We were happy with an Easter basket, candy and looking for eggs. They don't even get in to the coloring and egg hunts anymore. I missed the boat somewhere.
    False
  • RE: When did Easter become so commercialized?
    I must have missed the boat too because all my DS is getting is an easter basket and a summer outfit which has always been our tradition.
    False
    What isn't?
    Molly
    False
    Oops I just reread! Well... I would call that stupidity on your coworkers part much more so than the merchants commercialization of the holiday.
    JMO
    Molly
    False
    My kids just get a basket with candy and maybe 1 small toy that will fit in the basket. They also get a new outfit which is really for me since they could care less! LOL! Boys!
    False
    Ann Margaret,
    It seems that now adays EVERY Holiday is all commercialized and I hate it.
    All greed with the stores and people think that their kids just have to have it all.
    My kids got a basket and maybe a stuffed animal to go with it and they were happy as can be.
    Cassiebabe
    False

Barbara Anne

we got easter baskets. i got a new dress and shoes (white, of course, LOL) to wear ro church.
    False
    Well then I guess DH and I are stupid. We would rather give presents instead junky candy. We think Easter is a great time to give things like bikes and scooters. The kids have been inside all winter, and they can't wait to go out in play in the warmer weather.

So this year DD is getting a bike and DS is getting roller blades. In their baskets will be a new stuffed animal, books, DS will get a new game cube game and DD will get My Little Pony's.

Yes we do color Easter eggs and when we go to the Grandparents house we have an Easter egg hunt, and they get candy there.

I find it funny when people get so upset by what other people do. You do your own thing and be happy with that.
    False
    Jenbon, just curious if your children also understand why there is an Easter celebration? Sometimes the REAL meaning gets lost along the way.
    False
    Yes they do. What is the difference between giving candy or a toy? Does God really care? We celebrate the meaning of Easter with the grandparents and we celebrate Spring at our house. Both are great reasons for to celebrate.
    False
    my kids get easter baskets..
    False
    Ah, Capitalism - welcome to corporate America, and we hope you enjoy the advertising power of ritzy Madison Avenue marketing experts.
    False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

Since going to church is not the tradition now, I guess parents think they have to do something else. We always got a small Easter basket and a special dress for church. Then a big lunch and an egg hunt at Grandmother's house. Times have sure changed, uh?
    False
    When did Easter become so commercial?
    Prhaps when someone invented an egg-laying rabbit???
    Real answer:Good old American Capitalism and Free Enterprise.
    One is not forced to participate by spending a lotof money for ANY holiday. Just keep the pursestrings tied.
    Grelo
    False
    About the same time Christmas did!
    False

Is there a greater fault than being conscious of the other person's faults?

Kahlil Gibran