Have you ever heard of pepperkraut? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Have you ever heard of pepperkraut?

Last post Apr 29, 2012 2:09 PM by GustavJr . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Have you ever heard of pepperkraut?
    When I was young, my parents grew pepperkraut and then dried it, and put it in sausage such as liversausage and also used it in bean soup. Has anyone ever heard of this? I thought it tasted somewhat like it could of been in the sage family. Thanks.
    False
  • RE: Have you ever heard of pepperkraut?

False

catmint

The German word Kraut by itself does not mean cabbage.
    Weisskohl or Weisskraut (white/green cabbage)
    Rotkohl or Rotkraut (Red cabbage)
    Bohnenkraut= lovage
    Unkraut= weeds

It could have been some herb that had a peppery taste and they did not know the real name or the botanical name and just called it Pepperkraut, ie
    a peppery tasting plant.
    I don't have time to go through 600 things in my German herb encyclopedia but a healthfood store would have a book on herbs and what theyaste like and they could let you look it up.
    Actually, when people here in the US say they make German sausage it is mostly a concoction they dreamed up.
    The word sausage (Wurst) is a general/generic word for probably a few hundred different kinds, Just like the word Kuchen is the generic German word for CAKE, whether it is made with yeast, baking powder or whatever. I have about 600 German Kuchen/cake recipes.
    Forgot, in Germany they use sage VERY SPARINGLY in any meat products, a tiny bit of Thyme is much easier to find in some liver sausage recipes than sage.
    Grelo
    False
    Just on a hunch I looked in my older German/English dictionary and found it: It is Savory
    I had never heard of it called that so it must be a dialect thing, most likely southern Germany or Austria.
    There are two kinds, Summer Savory is a bit milder than Winter Savory and
    Summer Savory is the kind you can et in spice section in your grocery store. Get the whole leaf kind, theyare small, narrow, hard leaves,you can rub, but I would crush them on a board by rolling a glass bottle over them, they may prick your fingers othr wise. If you buy the ground up powder, it loses it's falvor too fast if not used often.
    Hope this helped.
    Grelo
    False
    i never heard of it..
    False
    This had me curious and did some more digging.
    The name Pepperkraut is strictly a regional thing and, as I suspected, noy called that north of Bavaria.
    In the more northern regions they call Lovage (Liebstoeckel)=Bohnenkraut but in ther parts of Germany they call Savory+Bohnenkraut,. In this case it is an herb that is popular to season green beans with.
    At least we solved that problem.
    The botanical name for summer savory is
    saturaja hortensis

and winter savory

satureja montana

Be careful when using it in sausage or with beans, it is a strongly flavored herb and a little goes a long way.
    Have fun experimenting.
    Grelo
    False
    Thank you for researching - appreciate the info.
    False

My Grandmother who was from Germany Made buckwheat sausage. and the seasoning she used was called pepperkraut.  she raised it and when we would smell of it and try it the taste was like oregano so that is what we used.  the recipe called for Garlic crushed, oregano, salt and pepper.   pork sausage, buckwheat groats.  The taste was so close as to what Grandma would make that we feel we have kept the recipe.  she brought the recipe from Germany.  Where she lived before 1900 to the USA. 

False