Double-wide mobile homes - pros and cons | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Double-wide mobile homes - pros and cons

Last post Jul 26, 2012 7:35 PM by cozyliving . 34 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 123
  • Double-wide mobile homes - pros and cons
    I have a good friend who had been debating for about 5 years whether to try to build a modest home (Jim Walter type) or buy a double-wide. They are young and have a very modest income and live in a small single-wide now. They have not started their family yet, but that is on the horizon. She has just about locked down on a double-wide. They found one (new) that they love everything about. However, she was wondering about longevity. If a double-wide is taken care of and maintained, will it last like a house? Any pro and con input is appreciated. Will check back in after work this evening. Thanks! June
    False
  • RE: Double-wide mobile homes - pros and cons
    They'd be better off to put their money into a small stick-built home. Mobile homes depreciate, but a modest home would appreciate.

That being said, I love some of the mobile homes they have now. Sooooo pretty!

Maybe they could look into a modular home, which would appreciate, but has cost savings because they are factory built, for the most part.

I also think about the tornado factor. They don't withstand high winds well, and don't have a place to take cover from a tornado.

False
    A subject near and dear...DH has sold mobile homes(manufactured houses) and now works in the system built(modular houses) industry.

A double wide can be a very nice home(I have lived in two single wides myself) They offer a lot of flash and features. Realistically though in order to keep the price where it is at the QUALITY of materials is not the grade you would find in a Systems Built or Stick Built home.
    Yes they do depreciate and will not have the lifetime of a System or Stick built home. The maintainence and longevity of the quality of the materials just will not withstand.

One thing to consider is that in some areas this type of home is considered personal property and taxed annually.

You can get a double-wide with stairs and put it on a basement. Doing so though you bring up the costs and are not so far off from traditional housing.

I have lived in 3 System Built homes. A Wisconsin Home, a Stratford Home and am getting ready to put up an All American. All three of them have a good rep in the housing industry in the Midwest.

For 1st time home-buyers there are some great financing programs out there.

We have been in housing over 24 years now. If there is any way this young couple can go with traditional housing they will be better off in the long run. Build simple but quality and as large as they can afford. Later you can add on or enhance features as the budget permits. So choose a floor plan wisely. Perhaps go with a cape cod and finish the upper level later or go bi-level and finish the lower level as the buget permits.

One other thought that we have seen over the years is to buy a double wide and put on a lot and later sell that and build a home on the lot. But codes/restrictions may apply to land areas.

sorry to be long... good luck
    False
    They are wonderful. They are as sturdy or better than building and they aren't going to blown away any easier than any other place. Money wise they are cheaper and I feel they are a lot nicer. They depreciate like anything else does.
    False
    I would think a Jim Walter type home would be better. If they are at all handy, they can do a lot of the finishing work themselves, saving money. The house can then be built onto as time goes by. The base part of my parent's home was a Jim Walter home. They have more than doubled the size over the years. They've been there for 38 years.
    False
    the insurance on a manufactured home is at least $1,400. a year....if you can find someone to insure it. this is in florida.
    False

Probably depends on your location (as has already been mentioned, tornadoes may be a factor) but my research has suggested that if you put a (new) Manufactured home in a manufactured home "park", unless it is a very high end park it is going to depreciate. If, however you put it on a piece of land, in a decent area and take care of it it will appreciate. That has been the case in this area and the former area we lived in.

A Manufactured home, manufactured today can be an excellent deal, offering square footage, floor plans,excellent insulation and other features at a fraction of the cost of a stick built. I would think, for someone on a budget trying to purchase a home, provided they are planning on putting it on a piece of property rather than in a park it would be an excellent way to go.
    False
    Connie Visit my blog at: Boondock Babble
    I personally would choose a modular home over a Jim Walter. I've heard about bad business practices with Jim Walter. That being said, the ONLY manufactured home I would even consider would be a Horton Home. They are built just like stick built homes. I promise you, you could blindfold me and walk me through a Horton Home and any other manufactured home of your choice, and I'll be you money i can tell which is which. They are THAT different.

I hope I never have to live in another one in Georgia. I'm terrified of tornadoes.
    False
    There's no way I'd buy a mobile home of any size. Having family members who have lived in them, I can tell you that they're cheaply made and lose value very quickly. I've seen subfloors rot out, plastic faucets literally break, shoddy sealing around windows and shower stall cause rotting, you name it - it's gone wrong in a mobile home. :(
    False
    We've been in a double wide for 15 years, and I would do it again. Ours is set on a crawl space which eliminates the using of a basement for junk storage. Of course, the other side of the coin is we are limited on storage space. In Mi you see more double wides/modulars going up then you do stick built. Cost is a big factor.
    Deb
    False
    Thought I would add this about manufactured homes(mobiles) if they really decide to go that way.

Some companies make thiers very well but some don't...so you need to look carefully, beyond the "flash" appeal.

Get extra insulation in the floor
    Have water shut offs at EVERY toilet, sink etc.
    have extra insulation put in the walls for sound proofing around bathrooms and furnace area.
    Get 2x6 walls
    Get shingled roof
    Get GOOD windows --thermopane with low E glass
    Choose the siding with care, lots of shades of vinyl fade quickly...get a good grade.
    Do the same with the vinyl and carpet.
    Also, take a good look at the doors, and be sure they use 3 hinges not just 2 and take a look at the drawers..you don't want the bottoms falling out when you put your silverware in.
    Look to se how they put their shelves in...can they take some weight?

I don't think a mobile home ever appreciates..whether it is on a park lot or your own property. Not the way a Systems built or stick built will.

But when we were young we lived in a well constructed Shult 14x72 for a couple years very economically and then a RolloHome 16x82 for another couple years. On that one by the time we paid the home payment, the lot rent and the personal property tax it was not much cheaper than buying a traditional home on its own yard!
    False
    I just bought a 16ft wide mobile last fall. Mine is very well made and will last like a house, contrary to some of the comments made here. (And, I have lived in mobiles before AND in a few different types of houses). They do not depreciate as fast anymore as they used to as financial lenders also realize that they are better made and the stigma usually attached to them is fading. Just buy from a reputable company that has quality product.

I found the 14 ft wide to seem very closed in, but the 16 ft made a tremendous difference.

Someday I plan on adding onto mine eventually by purchasing an inexpensive A-frame cabin package and mounting on side that my doors are on where I currently have a porch and deck. It will then look like a real house!

And by the way, I used to be a "house snob" and thought that was the only way to go. However, after living in an older "fixer upper" for 11 years previous, I can honestly say that I love my mobile home and definately made the right choice for me! I have an acreage and would rather be outside with my critters than constantly remodeling again.

Good luck to your friend in her decision!
    False
    I guess it all depends on where you live...many manufactured homes do not look like trailers anymore...and as for depreciation...that also depends on where you live...out here they do NOT depreciate...now granted they do not grow in value like a home but they do grow in value...my youngest and her former bought a home and inside there was no way you knew you were in a "trailer" home, dry wall etc....I grew up in a trailer back in the 60's and early 70's so I know the difference!!! LOL..

so they need to start doing some homework on both and see what would be best for them.....
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Thanks so much for all of the comments. I have never heard the terms "stick built" or "modular". I live in Louisiana. What do those terms mean? The options here are a mobile home (single or double wide); a brick house, a wood frame house, or a Jim Walter or United Built house. We looked at the United Built. They were so small for the price. Smaller than a double-wide but much more expensive. spa4me, thanks so much for all the suggestions on what to look for. Their mobile home would be in the country on very pretty acreage.
    False
    June, a stick built home is a traditional type home and a modular is a manufactured home built to a different code. Usually they are built in the same factories as HUD-code homes which in NC are doublewides. My family has been in the mobile home business for 24 years and I am a sales person. Double wides are very nicely built now and meet all kinds of codes. Yes, a tornado may destroy them but if a tornado sets over a traditional home, it may destroy that as well. If the manufactured home, whether it be manufactured as in doublewide or modular, is set on the homeowners property and secured with a deed to the land, it becomes a mortgage with an appraisal and does not depreciate. I would suggest they look at all kinds of doublewides. I personally sell Cavalier and Fleetwood and recommend the Cavalier over the Fleetwood because of construction. Each state is different in their codes so check your state for construction codes.
    False