self cleaning oven and baking stone | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

self cleaning oven and baking stone

Last post Apr 27, 2005 1:10 PM by Pinkkazelea . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • self cleaning oven and baking stone
    Good evening gals and guys!

I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I want to clean my "self cleaning" oven and want to know if I have to remove the baking/pizza stone that is always just left in my oven, and as a result it is just as dirty as the oven if not more so. I'm wondering if it will crack, or the worse scenario, explode with the high temperature that the oven reaches during self-cleaning>
    False
  • RE: self cleaning oven and baking stone
    If the stone is saturated with grease, it may catch on fire, do to the high heat. Don't ask me how I know, lol!
    False
    Can stoneware be cleaned in my self-cleaning oven cycle?
    No, as it may not be a safe procedure and it will probably ruin the seasoning on your stone, which is what enhances the stone's performance and increases the easy clean-up.
    False
    cast iron, yes. bake stones no.
    False

bakers... do the oven bake stones work as well as they're advertised to?
    False
    The high heat of the cleaning oven may break the stone, so I would not leave the stone in the oven while cleaning it.
    False

KTLee, Yes, the stones are wonderful! I use mine all the time. Cookies and bread will not burn as easily as on a regular baking sheet.

I would not put it in the self cleaning oven.
    False
    So baking stones are supposed to get greasy and yucky looking? I couldn't use mine after it got grease on it because it would start to smoke when baking pizza. I eventually threw it away.
    False
    Yes, they are supposed to be greasy and yucky looking. I wash mine in soapy water, even though they say not to. I just don't let it soak in the soapy water, but wipe it with the soapy rag. It gets some of the grease off and mine doesn't smoke anymore.
    False
    How long did that take? I'm not sure I can stand smoking up the house with it again. :(

BTW, have you seen that 3-part clay oven thing that turns your traditional oven into a clay oven? It's supposed to retain heat and cook food more evenly during the cycling on and off of electric ovens. I saw it on the show "I Want That."
    False
    I have several pieces of stoneware and I love them and use them all the time. Haven't used any metal baking sheets for years. I even use mine for fish stix, french fries, etc...

The stones shouldn't be greasy. If you can feel grease, then you need to clean them. A wipe with a slightly soapy sponge works fine, as will running the stone under very hot water. Your stones will get very very dark. My deep-dish baker is black but not at all greasy and there is no odor at all.

I have run mine through the oven's self-cleaning cycle and it looks like new when it's done. But then I have to re-season it, so I don't do that anymore.
    False
    I always take my baking stones/tiles out of the oven when running the self-cleaning cycle. I'd be afraid of them breaking, but more than that, it takes a long time to get them properly seasoned, DEFINITELY don't want to start over on that!

Those of you who haven't yet tried baking on stoneware--instead of spending big bucks for a baking stone, go to a tile store and buy a stack of unglazed quarry tiles--they're cheap and you can even have them cut to the size you need for your oven racks, if you like (be sure to leave at least 1" air space around the outside edge, though.) And with quarry tile, if you break one, you can easily replace it for a few cents. I'd recommend buying a few extra when you start out, then it won't be a problem.
    False