Old fashioned Cough Syrup Recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Old fashioned Cough Syrup Recipe

Last post Jan 07, 2004 8:53 AM by JustMary_Mb_Canada . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • Old fashioned Cough Syrup Recipe

Have been buying cough syrup at $12 a bottle then I got this old fashioned homemade cough syrup recipe from gramemery & it's been working just fine for me: Equal parts of honey, hot water, brandy & lemon juice. Take by the teaspoon like you would the commercial syrup.

False
  • RE: Old fashioned Cough Syrup Recipe
    OTC and prescription cough syrups don't work for me. I use the same recipe only I leave out the water. I thin it in the microwave just until the honey isn't thick anymore and then take it. Delicious and works great!
    False

WavyGravy, do you know if this keeps indefinitely? I have been making it up as I need it in a baby food jar.
    False
    It soulds so good - who needs a cough??
    False
    Do you refergerate it?
    False
    Photobucket http://chocolatechic.wordpress.com/

This is cough & cold season - please keep bumped.

False
    I never heard of this. We got thru gallons of cough syrup this time of year, though. I'll have to try it.
    Amy
    False

I haven't been refigerating it - just keeping it in the bathroom where it's handy.

I don't think I'd keep any leftovers, tho, just in case. I definitely would start a new batch the next time I had a cough.

False
    How about this recipe - crush up a couple of old-fashion sugar peppermint sticks then pour whiskey over it. The crushed peppermint will dissolve when soaked in the whiskey. I have a co-worker who swears by this.
    False
    Bump
    False
    Bump
    False
    Janenail - that minty concoction would either cure you, or make you feel good enough to ignore the symptoms! LOL!
    False

That's what I thought!

You could serve it as an after dinner drink, too, I'll bet!

LOL
    False
    I think the brandy would preserve it while you have the cold, but I would make it fresh for the next cold.
    False
    George Washington Carver "The secret of my success? It is simple. It is found in the BIBLE, "In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths"

I think you're right, Sherleen. I would rather be safe than sorry.
    I have been makin myself small batches.
    False