Browning ground beef before the crock pot? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Browning ground beef before the crock pot?

Last post May 15, 2005 12:11 PM by Cabot . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Browning ground beef before the crock pot?
    I have always browned my ground beef before putting it in the crock pot for chili or spaghetti sauce or the like. A friend of mine says she NEVER browns her meat if it's going in the crock pot for chili.

Has anyone ever put raw ground beef in a crockpot and made chili (or spaghetti sauce)? How did it come out?

False

• RE: Browning ground beef before the crock pot?
    I only put it in raw if the fat content is very low. Otherwise, it gets greasy.
    False
    I always brown mine too, and cook the onions as well, if recipe calls for them.
    False
    I always brown mine too. But then I have issues with uniformity of the size of the chunks of beef....
    False
    i never have, but thats not to say you cant..
    False
    groiund beef tends to have a liddle mre fat...you want some, in chili but i like to brown it and drain it...i brown all my meats for the crockpot, i think it adds to the flavor!!!
    False

I always brown my ground beef or turkey meat before adding it in the slowcooker for a combination meal..now if I am making a meatloaf I will mix it raw with things and put it in to bake.
    False
    Just made chili this morning. I always brown the ground beef on the stove before adding it to the crockpot. I drain the grease from the ground beef so the chili won't be greasy.

louie
    False
    Oh...I also rinse the GB in hot water after browning it so most of the grease is gone.
    False
    I brown all meat before using the crock pot. I hate having to use another pan, but it cooks faster and looks better after being browned.
    False
    I would brown it first in a skillet then drain it and put in in the crock. But then I have been very picky about fat in my recipes since loosing weight.
    False
    I think she may need to check on doing that. I will look in my boolet, but if I cecall correcty the beef is SUPPOSED to be cooked first.
    False
    I forgot to ad, I even go as far as placing several layers of paper toweling on a platter then after draining puting the browned meat on the paper lined platter and blotting excess gat that way before going on with the recipe.
    Just an added idea to eliminate excess fat.
    False
    I always brown, drain, rinse and drain again for about 5 minutes.
    False
    I brown, drain and rinse.
    A long long time ago I put raw ground beef on a pizza and it was so greasy that we couldn't eat it. I would think that the chili or spaghetti sauce would be swimming in grease unless the hamburger was very lean.
    False