Converting canned beans amount in recipe to how many dry beans to soak? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Converting canned beans amount in recipe to how many dry beans to soak?

Last post Jan 10, 2004 5:30 PM by Sherleen . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Converting canned beans amount in recipe to how many dry beans to soak?
    Hi all!

I have a recipe that calls for a 15 oz. can of beans. I'd prefer to soak my own beans instead of using canned. The problem is, the 15 oz refers to the net weight, not the volume.

I know that dried beans will make three times as much cooked. Does anyone have any idea how many (in cups) beans I should soak to make a 15 oz. can's worth?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help.
    False
  • RE: Converting canned beans amount in recipe to how many dry beans to soak?
    All I can tell you is that 1 cup of dried beans = 2 1/4 cups cooked beans.....

MountainMan
    False

Just a guess, but I would think 3/4 cup of dry would be enough :)
    False
    George Washington Carver "The secret of my success? It is simple. It is found in the BIBLE, "In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths"
    Thanks for your help, both of you! :-)
    False
    When I canned dried beans I think I used 2/3 cup per pint jar. I think home cooked is best, but is it really worth soaking and cooking this small amount of beans for a recipe? If you are planning to cook the soaked beans in the recipe you will still have to allow a bit of extra liquid. Even if soaked overnight, the beans will pull in more liquid while cooking.
    False
    They add loads of salt to canned beans.
    False
    George Washington Carver "The secret of my success? It is simple. It is found in the BIBLE, "In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths"