Does it hurt to leave your computer running all the time? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does it hurt to leave your computer running all the time?

Last post Dec 31, 2011 4:00 PM by 16281628 . 34 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 123
  • Does it hurt to leave your computer running all the time?
    I have always shut down my 'puter' at night...but lately I've been leaving it on.
    It saves a lot of time...firing it up.

Will that hurt it...or should I go back to shutting it down every night?

What do you do?
    False
  • RE: Does it hurt to leave your computer running all the time?
    my computer guy told me to shut it off at night....and when you go to the store, etc. as you know, we are subject to sudden and severe lightning storms and these are detrimental to the operation of computers sometimes... i shut mine off...
    False

My DH (who is a computer guy) says to leave it on unless you know of the possibility of bad storms or if you are going to be away for more than a day. The way he explains it is that it can do damage to your computer each time you start it up because you are starting it up "cold". Kinda like the reason you let your car warm up for a few minutes in the winter before you drive it. Each time you boot up your computer it has a better chance of "misfiring" so to speak.

Therefore, I leave mine running all the time and I've never had any problems.
    False
    We leave ours running and it goes into "sleep" mode when we do. Hubby said their office leave theirs on all night too because it's better for them.
    False

Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!

We leave ours running, too. Only turn it off when we go on vacation or if there is a bad electrical storm. Seems to work for us!
    False
    Linda
    We found out the hard way (twice), that even if you turn your system off and there is a lightening storm, your system can get fried. Our tow systems has been fried twice, we had turned off the both computers but did not unplug the systems and the router, we have a cable modem hookup, the lightening hit the cable/lines and traveled to our systems.
    Hope this makes sense, I'm not a computer pro!
    False
    I leave it on but just shut off the monitor.

I've heard of damage being done to computers not even on in thunderstorms, as mentioned above.
    False
    Left on all the time it has, of course, a greater chance of overheating some part, especially if you don't have air conditioning. But, as others have said, every time you start up the machine it uses an extra pull of power starting up the fans and drives, a surge which could hurt things.

So I'd shut it down when you're going to be away for a day or more, and when power instability is likely. But your probably as well off leaving it on the rest of the time.
    False
    i leave mine on all the time. the monitor is set to go off after a certain period of inactivity.

as others pointed out it can still be damaged when off if it is still plugged in.

False
    thats why i shut mine off..it seems every time there is a storm we get short power failures...so it shuts down from them, once is better than 2 or 3 times!!!
    False

carrottop, yes it is better to just shut it down. also it is not good to have it shut down "abnormally" ... a regular shutdown cleans up files and memories and such.
    False
    i even found this on one webpage :)

At home, I usually leave my PC on all the time; I use it every evening and during the day on weekends, I run backups overnight, and I have automatic maintenance tasks that run during the day on weekdays. Remember that I live in New England; if I lived in South Florida and had no UPS, I might reconsider this policy due to the electrical storm activity, for example.
    False
    here is an explanation of the pros and cons
    http://www.pcguide.com/care/care/gen/powerOnOff-c.html
    False
    I put mine into "sleep"mode.
    False
    Thank you guys very much!

So when you guys say *turn the monitor off...are you saying to actually shut it off...or place it in sleep mode?
    False