Angel Food cake question | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Angel Food cake question

Last post Jan 17, 2004 3:43 PM by Miata2 . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Angel Food cake question
    This might be a stupid question but I don't care. I want to know.

Has anyone ever baked an angel food cake in a regular square 9 x 13 pan instead of the round angel food cake 2-piece contraption?

That's what I want to do but not sure if I should.
    False
  • RE: Angel Food cake question
    I'm not sure about the 9x13 pan for an angel food cake, but in stores I have seen angel food loaf cakes.
    Jo
    False
    I bake mine in a 9 x 13 pan with a can of crushed pineapple. Nothing else but the cake mix and the pineapple with the juice. Really good.
    False
    I've never done it BE, so I don't know if I can really answer your question or not. I know that around here I can find a angel food cake in a "loaf" form, so it MUST be possible. The only thing I wonder, is you might have problems with it burning in a 9 X 13 pan since it has to bake so long. But then again, maybe you can adjust the baking time?! I say give it a try and let us know how it turns out! Ü

SaS
    False
    I have seen the loafs in markets also. I am sure it will be fine in a loaf. Let us know, please.

Donna40
    False

Please be kind to animals.       Trust everyone, but always cut the cards.

You guys are supposed to give me a guarantee or a warranty or something.
    hummmmm
    Do you suppose the store will give me a refund if it fails?
    LOL

No guys...it can't be a loaf...I want a 9 x 13. Stay on the subject.
    hee hee hee hee :O)
    False
    I haven't seen the loaf pans or the two piece thingy.
    My Mama's pan was just a one piece pan with a funnel in the middle.
    False

nikey...I like the sounds of what you do with the angel food cake. Do you bake it according to package directions?
    False
    Yes Josey. It is so good and moist. The good thing is there is no fat! I have been making it for the holidays. It does not last long.
    False
    Yes I have done it and it turns out really good. Just bake it at 350F for 30 to 40 minutes.

The pineapple one is also good. I just use a 20oz can of crushed pineapple and bake at 350 30 to 40 minutes.

You can substitute a can of cherry or lemon pie filling for the pineapple. I also have a pumpkin recipe where you add 1 1/4 cups water, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/2 cup pumpkin puree. This can be baked in a 9 x 13 or tube pan.
    False
    Thanks nikey and AuntyB and also to Bright Eyes for asking this question.

I am going to print out your suggestions. I can't wait to try it!

Have a good weekend!
    False
    Thanks for all your replies.
    And thanks AuntyB...that was what I was hoping to hear.

I was wanting to make a 9 x 13 Angel Food cake and poke holes in it and pour jello all over it but you guys changed my mind.
    I'm gonna' try the pineapple...and I have a can!
    False
    I did it, I did it, I did it!

I baked my Angel Food mix in a 9 x 13 pan and I even added the pineapple like you said.

Must I say YUMMY!
    O.K....YUMMY!

It worked beautifully.
    I let the cake top get really brown and waited til the splits (cracks) were real dry like the box said.
    I let it cool then removed it from the pan.

I ate a piece and it is delicious.

So yes....you really can bake an Angel Food cake mix in a 9 x 13 pan. :O)

False
    I think it needs to be either a tube or loaf pan, it has no leavening so it relys on the sides of the pan to rise properly.
    False