Dr. Michael Fox's column today..(Ask the Vet) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dr. Michael Fox's column today..(Ask the Vet)

Last post Sep 09, 2005 11:23 AM by purselamplady . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Dr. Michael Fox's column today..(Ask the Vet)
    Dr. Fox is a vet with a syndicated column. While he often gives good advice on pet care, his overall view of pets (er, sorry, "companions") is, imho, over the top. Today's column is an example.

A new bride writes in that her husband owns 2 dachunds who pee all over the house and garage and who eat their own 'doodies'. Gross!! She says her house reeks of urine. Her husband shrugs it off when she tries to talk with him about it. She says it's ruining her marriage because she can't stand living in the urine soaked house with those dogs. She asks the doc to advise.

He gives her some run of the mill advice (dog training) and admits that dachunds are notorious for 'evacuating' in homes. But then he says:
    "Before your marriage falls apart and your husband chooses the dogs over you -or, worse, gets rid of them for your sake then hates you from then on-be open with him about this issue. Work with him...blah blah blah....."

HUH???? Or WORSE!!???
    False
  • RE: Dr. Michael Fox's column today..(Ask the Vet)
    I've also heard him give some wierd advice to people, although most of the time his column is interesting. Wouldn't you have known about the dogs BEFORE you married the guy? Maybe that would have been a good time to deal with the problem.
    False
    Well, yes, starting out the marriage with him resenting her would be no better than with her resenting his dogs. She does need to make it clear to him that this is not just something she mentions from time to time, but something which is a real problem to her and needs solving.
    False
    I also couldn't figure out why she didn't know about this before they were married. Was this one of those arranged marriages where they meet each other the day of the wedding or something??

BOC, you're right, but any guy who would hate his wife because he had to get rid of dogs that pooped and peed all over the house isn't worth staying with, imho.
    False
    I'd feel better being with a man who works to improve his relationships--human and otherwise--than one who cuts and runs when there's trouble. Would he get rid of you too, if you became a burden to his lifestyle?
    False
    But still, at least we know he won't mind when his wife becomes old and incontinent.
    False
    Gee, this sounds like a problem for Dr. Phil, not Dr. Michael!
    False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy