At what age does a cat stop growing? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

At what age does a cat stop growing?

Last post Sep 30, 2005 11:19 AM by Swaniecat . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • At what age does a cat stop growing?
    Just wondering...Callie is about one year old now and she weighs more and is larger than either of the two torties we had before her. Can I expect her to grow any more?
    False

• RE: At what age does a cat stop growing?
    I think mine kept growing up to about 18 months.
    False
    Found this on a website, but keep in mind that different breeds of cats vary in size when full-grown. A cat could be full-grown at 6 lb or 12 lb, depending on many factors. But according to this, 12 months old is full-grown.

How do you compare a cat's age to a person's age? --Eva

Good question, Eva! I consulted with Dr. Arnold Plotnick, Vice President, ASPCA Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital, and he told me that a six-month-old kitten is like a person who's just entering the teen scene. By the end of his first year, a cat is equivalent to a 21-year-old person--because that's when both species reach full size and when their bones stop growing. After that, every cat year equals four people years. "A 20-year-old cat would be like a 101-year-old person," says Plotnick. So how old are YOU in cat years?
    False
    I've always found that it takes up to 2 years for a cat to reach it's full growth. Seems to depend a bit on when you desex them too, especially the males. I've got 3 at the minute and all took about 2 years, I usually desexed them around the 7th or 8th month when they are male and the females after they've gone into heat.
    False
    The old timetable for dog years (multiply each chronological year by 7)is not accurate. Dogs and cats reach sexual maturity quicker than humans, so their early years/months are at a greatly accelerated rate of maturity. Once they reach full growth/maturity, this rate levels off--making a two-year old cat(or dog)on a par with a 21 year old human; then aging about 3-4 years for the passage of a chronological year thereafter.

False