Sodium in Tea??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Sodium in Tea???

Last post Oct 13, 2005 4:51 PM by Joyce_V . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Sodium in Tea???
    Somebody once posted on this board that drinking iced tea can make you have too much sodium, causing water retention. I told that to a lady at work. Her husband has Parkinson's and this is what she sent me:

I think you were saying the other day that someone told you that tea is high in sodium. I had asked that dietician on the Parkinson's website about it, because I really couldn't find much. She said black or green tea have only a very slight trace of sodium.

I think where you MIGHT get high in sodium could be when you either buy one of those iced tea mixes, or maybe already bottled and sweetened teas. But if you make up tea from scratch, like with a tea bag or something, I don't think there would be much sodium.
    False
  • RE: Sodium in Tea???
    speaking of tea....I saw on a Reno, NV news program last week that one could "decafe" their own tea at home.....put a tea bag in a mug and pour boiling water over and let steep 1 minute, pour out that water and pour boiling water over tea bag again and let steep 2-3 minutes...remove tea bag and enjoy...they said that most of the caffiene would be in that throw away cup.....
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I read something very similar about 10 minutes ago. I had never heard that before. That's a good idea.
    False
    I take a water pill for BP and the doctor keeps telling me to drink tea and I would rather have water. So about 1 or 2 times a week I'll have tea.
    False
    I have a box of black tea bags here and the sodium is 5mg per bag.

Gail

I have hypertension and have never been told to watch my tea intake.
    False
    It may depend on the water you use to make the tea. The sodium content of our local city water is very high. If you need to restrict your sodium intake, you have to drink bottled water and use it for coffee & tea.
    False
    Treasure each other in the recognition that we do not know how long we shall have each other.
    I'm a little surprised Tetley's Classic Green Tea lists 10mg sodium.
    False
    This has been a learning experience for me. Thank you all for your input.
    False