What are WAVERLY CRACKERS? And what can I substitute for them? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What are WAVERLY CRACKERS? And what can I substitute for them?

Last post Nov 05, 2005 8:25 AM by MN_Mom . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • What are WAVERLY CRACKERS? And what can I substitute for them?
    I bought a special addition of Taste of Home at my local grocery store. It's called "Holiday Entertaining". There's a recipe in it that looks really good to me called 'Christmas Day Chicken'. 1-1/2 to 2 cups of finely crushed Waverly crackers is listed in the ingredients. You coat the boneless skinless breasts w/ them before baking them.

I've been to 2 stores and can't find Waverly crackers and since I've never (knowingly) had one I don't know what other type of cracker to substitue for them.

Would Ritz crackers be the same? Is there another cracker that would be a better substitute?

The recipe is from a lady named Marcia Larson. I could understand them calling for a SPECIFIC BRAND NAME if the recipe was from Kraft or Campbells, but usually TOH doesn't do this w/ recipes that are submitted to them. It's kind of thrown me for a loop.

Thanks for your help!
    False
  • RE: What are WAVERLY CRACKERS? And what can I substitute for them?
    I think they are kind of like Club crackers...not for sure though...
    False
    Waverly is a brand name. And they are a snack cracker that looks like club crackers.
    False
    I found a picture and a description here...

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/29/CLID/309/N/3606/Waverly_Wafer_Cracker_.htm

An oblong shaped cracker baked to a golden brown color and containing only 100% vegetable shortening. Has a delightful crispy texture. This popular salad wafer is also available in a variety of group and chain labels through the use of bumper stickers. For more information on Waverly Wafer Cracker, visit the official Nabisco website!
    False
    I use them interchangably with Club crackers when I make Toffee Bark
    False
    Waverly crackers are a butter type cracker. A good sub would be club crackers.
    False
    Waverly Wafers are the BEST! But you can use Keebler Club crackers, a close facsimile!
    False
    They are really, really good. Club crackers are interchangable with them/
    False
    I couldn't find the Waverly crackers (made by Nabisco) at the store. I asked the Nabisco rep what had happened. In Nabisco's infinite wisdom (LOL), they changed the name of Waverly crackers to Ritz Toppers. They are the same thing, recipe wise, just a different name. The box is now a red color, similar to the other Ritz crackers.
    False