Does anyone remember 'Ether'? (what they used to put you to sleep before an operation) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does anyone remember 'Ether'? (what they used to put you to sleep before an operation)

Last post Jan 24, 2004 4:19 PM by cjayh__MI . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • Does anyone remember 'Ether'? (what they used to put you to sleep before an operation)
    Oh, how well I remember it! I could not stand the smell of it either! To this day, whenever I smell rubbing alcohol, it triggers the 'Ether' smell.

Do you think they use it anymore, maybe for other purposes? Or maybe it is outlawed now. I never hear about it being used, so it might not even exist anymore.

Just wondering if anyone remembers having it used on them.
    False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• RE: Does anyone remember 'Ether'? (what they used to put you to sleep before an operation)
    This reminds me of the first episode of "Christy" (with Kellie Martin). She has to witness a surgery, and the smell of the ether almost made her faint. Can you imagine? You get to an unknown location, and one of the first smells you encounter is that?! Yuck!
    Luckily, it's never been used on me.
    False
  • RE: Does anyone remember 'Ether'? (what they used to put you to sleep before an operation)
    I found a web site if anyone is intersted in knowing its history:

Ether
    False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

Yes, when I was 8 years old and had a tonsillectomy. I remember how deathly sick I was from it when I was coming out of it and upchucking all over the place. Still very vivid in my mind.
    False
    My mother said she was given ether when she had her first child.

Flinky
    False
    Yes! They poured ether on my incision before they took my stitches out of first C-section. Will never forget the smell.

Also, I hear that it's an ingredient in making Meth. (illegal drug)
    False
    They used it on me when I had my tonsils out and I was soooo sick afterward. Pretty bad when you have just had your throat all hacked up!
    But ether is a good smell to me. When
    I was little my mom was an RN on OB
    floor at the hospital. I stayed with a very nice lady while Mom worked.
    When she would come and get me after work her uniform always smelled like starch and ether. I would hug her legs and that was such a happy time.
    BB
    False
    Do you remember the Bill Cosby comedy album when he is talking about counting back from 100?
    False
    yep, when they set my broken arm and when i had my tonsils out...my throat closes up when i think of that smell!!!
    False

I sure do remember ether. I had it for deliveries of my kids. I used to work in a hospital office, and when I'd get home my husband said he could smell it on my breath. Potent stuff.
    False

Live your life so you don't have to hide your diary.

I can kind of remember ether. In 1951 (when I was 5) I was in a real bad car accident and was hospitalized for six weeks. Although I cannot specifically recall any one incident in which ether was used (on me), I sure do remember the name ether and what it was used for. I remember what it smelled like; I will never forget that. I actually kind of liked that smell.

A couple of years later when my first and second grades, teachers made up pop quizzes and other hand-outs off the mimeograph machine. I--and most of the other kids--would hold those hot-off-the-press papers up close to our nose and inhale as deeply as possible. Kind of a nice "hit", so to speak. Anyone else remember doing that? Be honest, now.

Years later, while watching a M*A*S*H episode on TV they had an OR scene that took place about the same time I was inhaling test papers in the first grade. In that episode it was real cold and someone turned on a gas heater in the OR. Hawkeye shouted to turn that heater off because ether was being used and ether was extremely flammable. That is about the extent of my knowledge of ether.
    False
    I not only remember how sick I was (tonsils out) but to this day I remember the dream I had while going under. It's as vivid as the day I had it. And I'm old!
    False
    I was four years old when I had my tonsils out.
    I still remember the smell and the nasty nurse who made me take my thumb out of my mouth.

I pinched her nose for that and then 8 years later when my uncle died, He was a doctor, my mother introduced me to a woman and said this is the nurse whose nose you pinched when you had your tonsils out.

I looked at her and she did have a really big nose.

but I will never forget that smell and I always wondered why rubbing alchohol smelled horrible to me. Now I know.

I will also never forget the shot in the fanny either. NOr the fact that I was promised ice cream and then I couldn't eat it because my throat was so sore.

Linda
    False
    Hadaplan, I confess to the mimeograph paper.
    False
    Yup, I had it too when having a tonsillectomy. I guess we all have one thing in common if you've ever had it you don't forget how dreadful it was.
    False