Sound of Ocean In Ear: Any Advice? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Sound of Ocean In Ear: Any Advice?

Last post Jan 03, 2006 11:20 PM by didee . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Sound of Ocean In Ear: Any Advice?
    For the last couple days, I have a faint sound of wind in one of my ears; Has anyone had this before and do you have any tips to make it stop?

Thanks in advance.
    False
  • RE: Sound of Ocean In Ear: Any Advice?
    It's tinnitus, and it's annoying, isn't it? I have it constantly in my left ear. At times it gets so loud, I can't hear anything else.

A low sodium diet helps me, but then, I've also got Meniere's disease to go along with the tinnitus, and have to follow one anyway.
    False
    Tinnitus Treatment

It sounds like tinnitus. I have had it for along time.

In most cases, there is no specific treatment for ear and head noise. If your otolaryngologist finds a specific cause of your tinnitus, he or she may be able to eliminate the noise. But, this determination may require extensive testing including X-rays, balance tests, and laboratory work. However, most causes cannot be identified. Occasionally, medicine may help the noise. The medications used are varied, and several may be tried to see if they help.

The following list of DOs and DON'Ts can help lessen the severity of tinnitus:

Avoid exposure to loud sounds and noises.
    Get your blood pressure checked. If it is high, get your doctor's help to control it.
    Decrease your intake of salt. Salt impairs blood circulation.
    Avoid stimulants such as coffee, tea, cola, and tobacco.
    Exercise daily to improve your circulation.
    Get adequate rest and avoid fatigue.
    Stop worrying about the noise. Recognize your head noise as an annoyance and learn to ignore it as much as possible
    False
    Oh my! Is that what it is? I've probably had it off and on for quite a while now, but usually it would sound like the ocean in my ear when I went to bed and I'd just ignore it. But the last couple days it's been all day. So refrain from salt? (I have been eating lots of salt lately). Is there anything else that can be done for it? Do you think taking Robitussin will help? It's driving me nuts.
    False
    Thanks Trudy and Lkat. I see a lot of things on the list that I do that I shouldn't. I will try to be calm about it and follow the advice. Thanks so much.
    False
    I doubt the Robitussin would help, but who knows? The low salt diet does help me, definitely. Some people say that avoiding caffeine helps, as does avoiding stress. Sometimes, there may be a certain sound (for me, it's the shower or my electric toothbrush) that seems to help cancel out the tinnitus when it's a pulsating, really loud noise.

You can always consult an ENT, and see what they say, too.
    False
    Here's a link to the American Tinnitus Association.

http://www.ata.org/
    False
    LKat thank you soooooo much! Right before I typed this, I called a pharmacist to ask them what to do and the phone hung up. Then I type on here and get an answer immediately. Have you learned to ignore yours and accept it for the most part?
    False
    When it's faint, it doesn't bug me too much, but when it gets loud and pulsating (sort of like a heartbeat, but much louder), it REALLY bugs me, to the point of making me feel dizzy with each pulse, if that makes sense. Of course, with Meniere's that makes me dizzy, anyway. @@
    False
    I'm going to try all the things on Trudy's list to see if that will help. I'm so sorry for you for all that you've had to go through. I will say a little prayer for you that it gets better for sure b/c this is no fun : (.
    False
    Thank you for the prayers, and I'll return the favor. Most days, really, it's not bad and I don't notice it. And even when it is bad, I try to tell myself, it could be worse. Which it certainly could!
    False
    Yay! Thanks for your support too. Let me know if you ever need to chat about it on here and I'll be glad to help. Thanks again Trudy, too for all the info. you gave me--it is much appreciated!
    False
    Will, do!

I'm not always around too much, but keep things bumped, and I'll usually find it eventually.
    False
    I also have it and had tests back in the 80s,including brainwave tests.
    Minewas caused by damage from loud noise (concussions and noise from being close to exploding bombs in Ww2. Nothing to do but grin and beare it and try to ignore because meds would not help.
    Grelo
    False
    Last year out of the blue this happened to me. It drove me insane. It had never happened before that. It lasted about 3 or 4 days and THANK GOD it went away,just like that. Hopefully yours will be temporary too!
    didee (in the meantime I would call your doctor just to see what he says)
    False