How do I keep stray cats away??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do I keep stray cats away???

Last post Jan 12, 2006 7:16 AM by _FOOTSIE . 28 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 12
  • How do I keep stray cats away???
    How can I keep stray cats off my porch? I have heard them out there at night and my dh has very bad allergys. They jump up on the porch and my little dogs go out there and natuarlly (sp) they get cat hair on them and then jump up on dh and just sets him right off. Don't know who they belong to. Nobody on this street. TIA
    mommom
    False
  • RE: How do I keep stray cats away???
    dh has recently started using his air rifle. amazing how they scatter when the bb hits their butt.
    False

I've heard cayenne pepper does the trick. Sprinkle it around where you don't want them.
    False
    If they are stray, and you have a AnimalControl in your area. Call them, they can supply you with a trap, trap them and have the Animal Control come and haul them off.
    False
    I have had really good luck with lemon juice. Many cats seem to hate the smell.
    False
    Have a spray bottle ready with water & vinegar. Enough vinegar that you can smell it. They hate vinegar.
    False
    The only solution I have puts alot of folks up in arms (no pun intended! LOL). My sympathy to you. My next door neighbor let her cats run free and they did the exact same thing as you have a problem with. The came over and laid on the cushions on my FENCED in pool area. Then I couldn't use my own furniture. I'm SEVERELY allergic to cats and could NOT tolerate it at all. Thankfully they disappeared! LOL Good luck to you!
    False
    I find vinegar works and when it doesn't I pop them in the behind with my air pellet gun. Before anyone get's alarmed I've shot the bluejays with it to keep them away from my Dove's that are nesting and it didn't hurt the bluejays or the cats. I don't want cats in my yard either!
    False
    some kids stray into my yard sometimes, can i shoo them out with a pop in the behind with a bb gun? just wondering.
    False
    the youngest ones are pretty slow moving.
    False
    Ok another post here, I belong to the American Bird Conservancy and most of the things mentioned will not work, as the cats soon learn and just move elsewhere near by or get use to whatever. There are many good ideas that do work on this web site.

www.abcbirds.org
    False
    LOL Spartacus. Fortunately, most of us are able to realize and appreciate that cats are animals and kids are human. Well....most kids are! LOL (Just teasing.......I'd never hurt a child!)
    False
    Here's what I use to keep the neighbors cats at bay. They are from Jerry Bakers backyard Problem Solver book.

Foil' em Fast

1.Fill empty 2-liter pop bottles half full of water.

2.Put a couple of long,thin strips of aluminum foil into each bottle & add a bit of bleach,just to prevent stinky algea from growing.

3.Set the bottles strategically around the problem area.

The foil's changing reflections will scare off any feline who tries to lay claim to your turf,and your catty problems will be a thing of the past.

Meow-va-lous Tonics

Cats are very scent oriented & they can be just as finicky about what they smell as they are about what they eat.

Tonic #1:Mix 1/2 cup of Tobacco Tea(Recipe to follow) or oil of mustard & 1/4 cup of liquid dish soap in 2 gallons of warm water.

Tonic #2:Add 1 clove of garlic (crushed), 1 tbsp. of cayenne pepper & 1 tsp. of liquid dish soap to 1 qt. warm water & puree the heck out of it.

Scat Cat Solution

To keep cats from digging in container plants,indoors or out,dribble this elixer lightly over the top of the soil's surface.

5 tbsp. of flour
    4 tbsp. of powdered mustard
    3 tbsp. of cayenne pepper
    2 tbsp. of chili powder
    2 qts. of warm water

Mix all of these ingrediants together & sprinkle the solution around the perimeter of the areas you want to protect.

Tobacco Tea

1/2 handful of chewing tobacco & 1 gallon of hot water.

Wrap up the chewing tobacco in a piece of cheesecloth or panty hose,put it into the water & soak it until the water turns dark brown.Fish out the cheesecloth & strain the liquid into a glass container with a tight lid.Then store the tea & use it whenever a Tonic recipe calls for it.

If your neighbors' cats are on the prowl & gunning for the birds in your yard,lay chicken wire on the ground under the nesting or feeding areas.Ornery felines will keep their distance.

Take care. Hugs & Peace. Wiggleflowers

wiggle Hug {{{ }}}
    False
    Charming, Witty, Gallant, Wise - Recognize Yourself? Stingy, Selfish, Cunning - Must be Somebody Else!
    but i'm super allergic to them and their owners don't watch them. just a little pop in the behind with a bbgun won't hurt them!
    False
    Sorry spartacus, but I don't think you're REALLY allergic. Bummer, huh? And, yes a BB gun can actually hurt animals AND humans. You must be a true cat lover, and that's wonderful, but I AM allergic. I refuse to end up in the ER because of irresponsible pet owners. I love cats, but only as long as they stay VERY far away from me. LOL :)
    False