how long can med. office wait to send a bill and you have to pay | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

how long can med. office wait to send a bill and you have to pay

Last post Jan 12, 2006 9:46 PM by CookingImpaired . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • how long can med. office wait to send a bill and you have to pay
    my DH has some epidurals [3] in May & June of 2000 and how I have recieved a bill for one when I thought we had taken care of this. The office says they do not know why we wern't billed but the ins. has refused to pay. Wonder why! limitaions has run out on insurance as they has 15 months to pay. Am I resonable for this. The DRs. office will not talk to us they forward it and another co. and they do the billing.
    False
  • RE: how long can med. office wait to send a bill and you have to pay
    I really don't think that you are responsible after this length of time. I would say someone in billing has screwed up. Maybe get hold of your insurance company and see if they were ever submitted to them.Sound fishy to me.We had some major bills that were not submitted to the insurance company within the alloted time. They tried to collect from us and our insurance company told us that we were not responsible.The hospital was out quite a large sum of money just cuz someone wasn't doing their job.
    False
    Be careful with not paying this because of the time that has passed. The medical provider might still turn it over to a collection agency, who in turn might report it as a collection item to the credit bureaus. You should seek something in writing stating you do not owe it, if that is indeed agreed to by the provider.
    False

Home Safe

They will probably tell you it's your responsiblity to stay on top of things and make sure your insurance pays each bill in a timely manner. I have had to remind my DH's dr office to file claims (which they said they had already filed).
    False
    We had this happen with a doctors bill from my husband years ago. The office never submitted it to our insurance and then 4 years later tried to collect from us thru a collections agency. When I called the collections agency and explained that we had insurance but they failed to submit it for 4 years to them, the collections agency took care of it. They said we did not have to pay and that it would not show up on our credit report as deliquent. It was about $400 total. I would not have had a problem paying it but it was all covered by our insurance but the office just never submitted it.

Call the billing company and complain.
    False
    As Lazyme said---Check with your insurance company first to see if the claim was ever submitted. It may have been and the bill you're receiving is for the deductible and co-pay percent.
    I would also ask the insurance company to send me copies (unless you have them on file) of the EOB (explanation of benefits) for the procedures they have paid for.
    If the medical office simply failed to submit the claim and now the time limitation has elapsed I would ask the insurance company to make an exception in this case. If they won't then explain that to the medical office and billing office and see about negotiation on this bill.
    Your insurance coverage is a contract between you and your insurance company. Medical providers are third parties. Doctors and hospitals do us a favor by filing for us. They could demand we pay up front and ask our insurance to reimburse us.
    So, insurance coverage or not, this bill is your responsibility. My best advice would be to talk to everyone VERY NICELY because it truly will help. I speak from experience.
    False
    I have checked with the insurance co [ we no longer have this insurance] and they say they accept claims for 15 months after the date of service. But they say this is my responsiblity.I say the Dr. office messed up by not billing me. They billed for one 2 yrs ago and I paid it now they want more money
    False
    I'd called a lawyer for legal advice. One you can consult with for FREE and only pay if you get a settlement.
    False

Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!

I imagine they want more money because you owe them more money.

Obviously I don't know what the delay in billing was but unless there is a statute of limitations on billing (I'd ask the attorney) then it is your responsibility to pay the debt, regardless of whether you have (had) insurance or not.

False