Science Fair Project::Generic versus Name Brand | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Science Fair Project::Generic versus Name Brand

Last post Feb 06, 2006 2:48 PM by Xraykay_WI . 28 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 12
  • Science Fair Project::Generic versus Name Brand
    My daughter is doing her science fair project on which tastes better--generic (store brand) or name brand products. We will be buying 3 brands of 10 common foods and having a taste testing party........so my question is which products do you only like brand names & which products don't you mind the generic brand? If you know of any websites with statistics on this let me know....We are having a hard time finding information on consumer buying & advertising etc...thanks!
    Kay
    False
  • RE: Science Fair Project::Generic versus Name Brand
    OMG! Hi Kay! So nice to see you! I just wanted to say hello to an old friend! Hope all is well.

One product that I think sux in generic is Raisin Bran. I think the flakes taste like sawdust. LOL!

False
    Photobucket
    DH will absolutely NOT eat generic Frosted Flakes....Said he'd just as soon eat the cardboard box they come in....Wants that TIGER on the box, not a Panda! LOL!

Peyton's Mimi :)
    False
    Okay to buy generic..... noodles, pasta, butter, most crackers, Kool-Aid, hot dog and hamburger buns, most cheeses (except Kraft American),

NEVER okay to buy generic .... Kleenex, Heinz Ketchup (has to be Heinz, never generic, never Hunts), Miracle Whip, Diet Coke, Jello Pudding, 12 grain bread, Lunchables, RediWhip Whipped Cream ......

I really think this will vary from person to person ...
    False
    Don't ever buy generic coffee! My DH is the coffee drinker here & he tried some generic several years ago & said that it was horrible! Don't ever buy the generic boxed mac & cheese, either! I tried it one time & the cheese sauce was to whangy! I always buy the Kraft. Generic bread is good. I always buy Walmart's brand of bread--way cheaper & tastes great! I buy Walmart's brand of 1% milk & it tastes just as good as the higher priced name brand.
    False
    I buy Walmart's brand of canola cooking oil & it is just as good as the higher priced name brand. I wasn't too crazy about Walmart's brand of canned chili w/beans(too watery) so I buy the Hormel brand. I don't like the store brand drinks, either. I buy Coke for DH & Dirt Coke for me.
    False
    LOL at the Dirt Coke! That should have read Diet Coke!
    False
    I like most generic canned vegetables...some generic canned fruit...won't touch generic tuna with a ten foot pole...have to have brand name hot dogs, sausage, and bacon. Most store brand cheeses are ok...generic pop tarts are OK, but not great...
    False
    Here is a link to an article about generic products and who buys them. Just copy and paste.
    http://www.emeraldinsight.com/Insight/ViewContentServlet?Filename=Published/EmeraldFullTextArticle/Pdf/0070310201.pdf
    False
    My favorite bacon is our store brand, Sunny Select. It's far better than any other brand they sell. I use store brand veggies all the time. I don't care for store brand refried beans or processed cheese. Only kraft will do!
    False
    I agree with the generic coffee! Blech!
    Also it has to be Kraft mac & cheese, Heinz Ketchup, and Jiff peanutbutter. The generic peanutbutter is like one big thing of peanut paste.

I will do generic veggies, pop, soup, canned fruit, pasta, poptarts, popcorn if it is kettle corn, freezie pops, popscicles, icecream, sourcream and I'm sure there is more.

My family is'nt picky.
    False
    I'd like to see a comparison done on rice, to see if people noticed more broken grain, and if there was any difference in how they cooked up and tasted.
    False
    Years ago,my second grade class did a comparison between microwave popcorn brands - Orville Redenbacher, Kroger brand, and a third name brand. We were testing to see if Orville's really popped up with more volume like the commercial says. It did, but only slightly.

Kids would probably enjoy taste testing products they like, such as sugared cereals, chips, colas, peanut butter, icecream, etc.

Let us know how it turns out.
    False
    You're right, avidcook. Maybe tortilla chips.
    False
    Hey Kay!!! We miss you around here! We do use some brands from Walmart - Great Value - but not many. I will only drink Coke - it's the thing!!!
    False