How do I use frozen apples for a pie? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do I use frozen apples for a pie?

Last post Apr 03, 2014 9:06 AM by dmlapointe . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • How do I use frozen apples for a pie?
    My friend gave me a bag of frozen "June" apples that she peeled and sliced before freezing. Should I just take them straight from freezer to a bowl of water with lemon juice and then strain them and add my sugar, flour, cinnamon, etc. or what?

I don't know how to do this, I am not a pie baker.

Help!
    False

Rebecca

• RE: How do I use frozen apples for a pie?
    okay, i googled. it said to partially thaw and drain. add the sugar, spices and a thickener. you need the thickener because frozen apples release more juice than fresh.
    False
    Thickener like tapioca?
    False

Rebecca

it didn't specify, but yeah, that would work.
    False
    I make pie with frozen apples sometimes. Do not thaw by adding water and then draining... it's like rinsing away the flavor. I place the bag (or box) of frozen fruit in the frig for a few days OR place the SEALED BAG in a bowl or pan of cold water to thaw on the counter. When thawed, discard the water in the bowl, and open the bag. Dump contents of bag into a bowl and you will have to judge if there is "too much" liquid. That's the tricky part. If they were originally packed with out additional liquid, you shouldn't have to drain them. I always proceed with my old Betty Crocker pie recipe. It calls for thickening by tossing with a mixture of 1/2 c sugar, 1/4 c all-purp flour, 1/2 tsp ea nutmeg and cinnamon, and dash of salt. I sprinkle with a little vanilla or almond flavoring afterward. I don't like the lemon juice, but some do. This works with about 6 cups apples.
    Good Luck with whatever method you choose! --KF
    False
    Thanks!
    False

Rebecca

If you look on the back of the box of the new roll out dough (Pillsbury,I think) it has the best apple pie recipe and really simple! I just made a pie with frozen apples, all I did was thaw them out and followed that recipe.
    False
  • Re: How do I use frozen apples for a pie?

Rebecca_WV_40
    My friend gave me a bag of frozen "June" apples that she peeled and sliced before freezing. Should I just take them straight from freezer to a bowl of water with lemon juice and then strain them and add my sugar, flour, cinnamon, etc. or what?

I don't know how to do this, I am not a pie baker.

Help!

False